“Bar menu much better than the restaurant menu.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Bar menu much better than the restaurant menu.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

Bar menu much better than the restaurant menu.

Scottsdale, AZ
“My last visit to this spot”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

I've eaten at Uncle Sal's a few times. It's one of my wife's favorite eateries, and we generally go there for anniversaries, birthdays and evenings with friends.

This time it was a significant birthday for my wife, and she chose Uncle Sal's over Sassi, Zinc Bistro and a couple of other proven local offerings.

The service started well enough, the garlic bread arrived and we ordered a Frito Misto appetizer. When it showed up, accompanied by a small bowl of marinara sauce, the calamari looked and tasted perfect The shrimp, however, was another matter. It was dark brown, clearly overcooked, and had the consistency of a rubber doormat. Since there were only 3 shrimp this seemed to be a small and forgivable matter. The house Pinot Grigio was very pleasant and so was the small salad that accompanied the main course.

My wife ordered Veal Marsala, and I chose the Veal Milanese. This was a dish that I had mastered while cooking in a small neighborhood joint as a means of putting myself through school. I cook it pretty well and it has always been a dish I enjoy.

The main course arrived. It was instantly obvious that the heavy hand that vulcanized the shrimp had struck again, this time mangling the Veal Milanese. It sat on the plate, a deep mahogany color, with a gelatinous puddle of sauce sitting on it. The first bite confirmed the visual. It was tough, really tough and dry, the sauce was flavorless and in all was hugely disappointing. The Marsala sauce on my wife’s veal was gummy with undercooked flour and sickeningly sweet.

The final straw came at the part of the meal where I’d normally be ordering a dessert. When the server asked how the meal was, I asked if there had been any changes in the kitchen. When he asked why, I told him. He then began to lecture me about when to complain.

At that point I asked for the check, paid it and left.

I never leave less than 20% as a tip.

They got 10%.

arizona
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2006

Four of us went to celebrate my husband's birthday during the week with a 7:45 reservation. We were seated immediately, given menus, water and garlic bread and then forgotten for about 15 minutes.

That being said (and it is my only complaint about the restaurant), the food was wonderful. 2 of us had a glass of the house chianti which was good. Each of us had something different for dinner. The menu is really large and covers the gamit from pizza to veal. The bill for the 4 of us was about the same price as a bottle of wine at an upscale North Scottsdale Italian restaurant!

My main course was a chicken dish done with white wine, lemon, mushrooms and tomatoes. Very light and would definitely order it again. It came with a side order of pasta. It was a toss up between that or Shrimp scampi. Next time I'll try the scampi. The small caeser salad was mediocre at best - next time I'll try the soup. The garlic bread was delicious. The balance of my party had chicken parmesan, ravioli and spaghetti with meat sauce and everyone enjoyed their dinners.