“Good, reliable Sonoran Mexican food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ajo Al's Mexican Cafe

Ajo Al's Mexican Cafe
9393 N 90TH St Ste 122, Scottsdale, AZ 85258-5042 (Central Scottsdale)
(480) 860-2611
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #377 of 1,024 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Scottsdale
Scottsdale
“Good, reliable Sonoran Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My family and I have been going to Ajo Al's for over 25 years. It is still the favorite local Mexican restaurant of most of my kids. It is almost always busy, but if there is a wait it shouldn't take long to be seated. They have excellent fajitas, and several varieties of them. Their salsa is good and they have more than one type of hot sauce to go with the chips. I love their tacos and enchiladas.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ada, Ohio
“Good Food - Good Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Ajo Al's was recommended to us by folks in our condo near by. What a nice surprise. The menu offers some old standard Mexican dishes and some with a newer twist. I have had the flautas - which were good but way too much food, and the Mexican pizza...which was very tasty but I
don't think I'd order it again...although some folks rave about it. It's basically a pizza served on a huge fried taco. The service staff is friendly but efficient. Nice, clean, pleasant environment...I appreciated that the Mexican music was not so loud as to interfere with chatting. Just a pleasant level. Ajo Al's offers outdoor dining and several types of seating inside. I think you'll have a good meal and a good time. Enjoy!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arizona
“Always a good meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Ajo Al's for over 25 years. We were there the other day. We saw Pat, the owner. He still there and you can find him most afternoons, he says. I don't understand the couple of negative reviews. It must have been an off day. I honestly can't remember a time where I was unhappy. The food hasn't changed in the years we've been there. The salsa recipe is a bit different, but still great. The faces of the employees have changed, but the food has remained very good. The service has never been a problem. If there is a problem, ask to speak to someone. They will do whatever they can to make it right, I'm sure. This has been a wonderful, local place over the years and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. If you are a winter visitor, or here for spring training -- give Ajo's a try.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denton, Texas, USA
“First Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

After reading some on the negative reviews I was a bit apprehensive about our visit. They proved to be unfounded claims. The service was excellent. Our waiter delivered what we ordered quickly, and even though we had arrived late on Sunday night, did not try to rush us out the door at closing time.
The food was awesome and abundant. The enchiladas were extremely good. The sides were perfect. Margaritas were stiff and not watered down as another review had claimed. While this establishment may or may not be what it once was, it is still a solid restaurant with great food.

Visited January 2013
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Missing my Ajo Al's!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Reading some of the more recent reviews I see that I am not alone with my recent experiences at my old favorite mexican joint. What happened! This place used to serve up excellent mexican food, strong drinks and was always packed. Alas, my past two visits have been very disappointing. The first time my food was overcooked- the chicken was dry and had no flavor. My second visit we waited 45 minutes for 2 plates..and they were dead. Once the food arrived my wife's order was not even correct. We politely asked for the check and left. Both times our drinks were not very potent. I guess all that is left for this once great Mexican joint is memories. New management?

• Visited December 2012