“A pretty good effort at Macayo's” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #494 of 1,067 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located at Scottsdale Rd & Shea Blvd, we're one of the Macayo's family owned and locally operated restaurants. We celebrate Happy Hour Mon-Fri from 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm with $3 off appetizers and $3 drink specials. When You're Hungry for Tradition! Hours: Mon-Sun 11:00am - 10:00pm
Dallas, Texas
“A pretty good effort at Macayo's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Macayo's has been in Phoenix and Scottsdale for decades. We first visited the original back in the 70's and little has changed. The same corny Mexican décor, Mexican food modified for the average gringo, and high calorie show drinks. But somehow the whole package still works. We visited one Saturday evening with a party of 9, and the staff bent over backwards to accommodate. Our newish waiter was clueless, but was so innocent and straight-forward we forgave him every gaffe. The chips and salsa were fresh and never-ending, and the pitchers of margaritas were enjoyed by all. None of the mex dishes were world-beaters, but expectations were met. You'll enjoy yourself, maybe in spite of yourself. Go early as the senior crowd loves this place. On the weekends you'll wait quite a while for a table between 6 and 10.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Sylvan Lake
“Great value and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great restaurant and service. Love the patio.

Excellent value - buy the Bob and ChaCha mugs and get $3.99 refills of the house margarita. Yummy. Cheese crisp and guacamole are awesome.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Omaha, NE
“Three Course Dinner~ A Real Bargain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Went there with my parents & my husband in January. Cute restaurant with very good selection & a special 3 course meal for $9.99. (Chicken Tortilla Soup, Taco Platter & fried Ice cream. Large portions, but not real spicey. Alot of families there. Nice outdoor area with a fire pit but it was too chilly outside the night of our visit. Looked like a great place for after work cocktails & snacks.

Visited January 2014
Stuart, Florida
“Wow! Food, service, prices all great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The long-lived Macayo chain has been around Phoenix since the Year One, and rightly so. This location in North Scottsdale provided excellent fare at great prices. The deluxe shredded beef chimichanga with guacamole and sour cream was under $12. Delicious and way more than I could eat. Terrific chips, fresh and crispy and tangy homemade salsa to boot. It was a bit of a reunion and we sat in the comfy booth for three hours with just the right amount of service, and no sense of being rushed. Colorful, charming decor.... Great for a quick lunch or dinner, or a leisurely dining experience.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Disappointing Birthday Luncheon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My guest was having a birthday and this restaurant was her choice. It was a mid-day luncheon right at noon, and the restaurant was not busy. We did not wait long for the server to appear and the food arrived shortly after. Chips and a mild liquidy, very runny salsa were served while we waited.
My guest wanted a meat dish with mole sauce, which I had understood to be a Mexican staple. We were told that Macayo's does not serve mole. So she decided on a pork 'favorito', which was off the favorites list. It ended up being a pork burro, served with rice and beans. And she had a side of flour tortillas.The burro was just that. Some pulled pork in a little sauce inside a rolled tortilla. She said that the pork tasted OK, but it was so very dry that she could not eat it. A side of enchilada sauce was offered to correct this, but that did not resolve the problem. She ended up asking for a box and told the server that if she took it home she could rinse it off and maybe her dog would eat it. That bad...The flour tortillas looked fresh and she made no comment about them, but did not finish both.
I had the chili relleno platter, my go-to at Mexican places. It was just OK, but I've certainly had better elsewhere and often. The pepper was not served whole as it most usually is. The rice and beans were good. We also had a strawberry margarita each with lunch. The margaritas cost as much as the meals. While they were decent, I thought they were over-priced. They were served over crushed ice as in a frozen snowball treat. I had a distinct feeling that some cost cutting was going on in this restaurant. Maybe so, but it should never be that obvious.
Since this was a birthday celebration, I asked for the complimentary house birthday dessert, and that they please not sing. The waiter was glad to be asked not to sing. The dessert was a cold sopaipilla that had gotten cold and tough, served with maple syrup. It wasn't special.
While $34 for lunch for two with one drink a piece, may not sound like too much to some, I was was disappointed that my guest did not enjoy her meal.

The server concentrated on a table full of men behind us and at times it was difficult to get his attention. They were drinking more than we were. This just confirms my theory that the wait staff pays more attentive attention to the tables where the patrons are drinking, than to ones where they are not, or at least not as much. I am not sure if this was because he was truly busy with them or if he gave up on us being satisfied enough to leave a big enough tip.
I had never been to a Macayo's before. My friend suggested this place as she had heard that the food was good and it was a convenient location for her. Both of us were disappointed here that day and I am unlikely to return.

There are many dining options out there these days and certainly many Mexican choices as well. If one establishment wants to set itself apart from the bunch, they must do better than this.
The restroom was adequate and the parking was onsite, free, and easy in easy out.

I rated this average because it was a little better than poor, but not quite average.

• Visited December 2013