“Food Okay, Staff Not So Much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Italian Grotto

Italian Grotto
3915 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85251-4418 (Downtown Scottsdale)
480-994-1489
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #448 of 1,067 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Food Okay, Staff Not So Much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stopped here for lunch because the aroma coming out of this restaurant was amazing. The fried zucchini was awesome. The house salad was crisp and fresh and the vinaigrette was tasty. The chicken and shrimp were a bit overcooked in our dishes. The tatufo was a disappointment, no fruit/syrup, it was just chocolate ice cream in a chocolate shell. The restaurant does have a bar area with tv's. It was nice to sit outside but you are subject to the occasional smoker coming out of the restaurant to have a smoke right by the entrance. This includes the owner/manager who is quite interesting. An arrogant man, telling guests how the food is good and he has been in the business for over 30 years so he knows what he is doing. On one occasion he yelled at a server in front of everyone. Our server seemed rushed and several times as he walked by our table you could hear him say unpleasant comments. He did not offer dessert and when I asked, he said they were probably out. I asked him to check and they did have it. Fried zucchini, shrimp scampi, chicken piccata, tartufo, 2 glasses of wine= $90

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington
“Average Italian Food, Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Last night we ate at the Italian Grotto. I ordered the Veal Picatta with a side of pasta and sausage. I was not impressed. The veal was tough and the homemade sausage tasted like store bought. It wasn't bad just not what I had hoped. My friends had the seafood special which they raved about. Maybe I am being too particular because I'm Italian, maybe not.

The service was bordering rude. Granted it was busy but when you are in the service industry you need to provide good service. Just a little courtesy goes a long way. It seemed he was put out if he had to answer a question or if you had a special request for your order.

I might return if I was with friends who wanted to go there.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Paris, IN
“Very Good Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stumbled on this place by accident and were glad we did. Food and atmosphere were great. Service was excellent and food very good for a reasonable price.

Visited February 2013
Winnipeg
“Great Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were very impressed with the food at the Grotto. The salad that came with the meal was HUGE and had a variety of veggies and big chunks of blue cheese. We had hardly enough room for the pasta.. We had canneloni and it was one of the best I've had, although we had to bring half of it home. The services was excellent for us.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“WORST PLACE.....EVER!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I can't even give this a one star yet i have to for this post. I am out of town on a business trip and we made a reservation for 12. We were told that we would get one table and as we arrived there was two tables to accommodate us. We had no problem with this. As our server arrived; one of our guests asked for a $50 bottle of wine yet we were told to "pick up the wine list and tell what we wanted". But we knew the name. Then numerous guests at our table were told we were not sitting directly in front of our napkin/place settings. At this point we asked if we were inconviencing him to be there and asked to see a manger. The short gentleman approached and was so rude and condescending to us. He stated he was a manager but we later found out he was the son of our waiter. We immediately left; but was followed by the servers son and was cursed and flipped the bird. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. Don't waste your time. Once we realized we were speaking with an owner and we had to ask her to tell the gentleman faking as a manager to stop staring and threatening us to leave our presence, that is when we realized its a poorly managed establishment.

• Visited January 2013