“Oh My - Awesome Thai!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Malee's Thai Bistro

Malee's Thai Bistro
7131 E Main St, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Downtown Scottsdale)
(480) 947-6042
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Hudson, Michigan
“Oh My - Awesome Thai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I love Thai food...especially Pad Thai...so I'm always on the lookout for new Thai restaurants to try, and I always try their Pad Thai the first time. For me, if the Pad Thai is good, then I know it's a good Thai restaurant!

I love Malee's food! It's fresh (some of the herbs are grown out in the courtyard of the restaurant) and it's flavorful. The Pad Thai is fabulous...but I have to say that because Malee's is so good, I've ventured out of "Pad Thai Territory" to try many other yummy menu items,

The Crispy Fish and Tom Kha Gai soup is incredible and makes my mouth water just thinking about them! I LOVE to get a pot of the Tom Kha Gai soup (it's a novelty just to get the pot at your table) to share with a friend. I get chicken AND shrimp, and I spice it medium. It's a satisfying meal in itself, as you'll get to have a couple bowls each if you share with just one other person. And, of course, I must get a glass of sweet Riesling wine to complement the spiciness of the food!

Keep in mind that Malee's is a bit pricier than average, especially if you add a couple of glasses or a bottle of wine to your meal. And if you do dessert, you must have the "mango and sticky rice" dessert. It's a Thai classic! Go ahead and share it, just to get a few bites and enjoy a happy ending to your meal.

Be careful how spicy you order your meals. Malee's tends to go a little spicier than most. So if you normally get your food "medium spice," you may want to opt for "mild" at Malee's, unless you're OK with it. I like medium spice myself, and I still get medium at Malee's, but I know that it will be more like "medium-hot."

I love to sit in the open "hallway" area of the restaurant on a gorgeous afternoon or evening and get a little breeze while I watch the people stroll by. The ambiance, inside or out of Malee's, is very comfortable and inviting.

Since I lived in the Phoenix area for 8 years, I ate at Malee's whenever I could! If you go onto their website calendar, you'll find "cooking classes" that are usually once a month on a Saturday. Well, they're "kind of" a class...I think BETTER! The price (which you might consider a little pricey, but worth it) includes mimosas while you're sitting with others WATCHING an entire meal made, along with great descriptions of the ingredients and other info. Need another mimosa? Just ask!

Then when the "class" (and I say that word loosely) is done, the "participants" (I say that word loosely, too) move to the dining area to have a 3-course meal of what they just watched being prepared! Oh...and don't forget that the wine steward will talk a bit about what kind of wines go good with the dish...and serve you a few glasses of it to go along with your meal!

When you're done, don't forget your "gift bag" that contains a few small sizes of the ingredients used to make the dish you just experienced...along with the recipes for each dish! Personally, I thought this was a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon - and I was full the rest of the day.

Regardless, if you like Thai food, then enjoy Malee's when you're in Old Town Scottsdale!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tempe, Arizona
“very disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

After all the great reviews and the fact that the menu was priced nearly double that of other Thai restaurants I was expecting something really special. The service was poor. A too chirpy waitress had to check our order twice, bought the rice to our table cluched to her bosom and three servers asked us if we wanted boxes when we were still eating. Truly felt rushed even though there was no line of waiting diners.

The clientele all looked like well heeled Anglos - well we were in $cottsdale. Nothing against well heeled Anglos but it sends a message.

Food was mediocre. Highly recommended fried tofu was boring, as tofu is, although we were led to believe it was delicious!

I won't return and give my vote to Sala Thai on 32nd

Food was mediocre

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, FL
“Ready to move to Scottsdale for Malee's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Fabulous - fabulous - fabulous. We are Thai food lovers; eat it quite regularly at home and seek it out everywhere we vacation. We "discovered" Malee's while on a "tasting tour" of Old Town Scottsdale our first day in town. We were back there again on our second day in town. Oh, and again on our fifth and final day in town too. Their specialty, Tom Ka Gai (soup), is to die for. OH if only they would package and ship to Tampa! We also loved their Siamese Kisses, Mango fish and Chicken Panang. Honestly, we saw things on Malee's menu that we've never seen before. I'm sad that we weren't able to try more on the menu before our vacation ended. GO TO Malee's - absolutely delicious.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fantastic flavors and perfectly prepared to your taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were told by a local Phoenix area "foodie" that we should not miss this Thai restaurant on Main Street in Old Town. Neither of us are huge fans of Asian food and so put it off. I think we learned we actually aren't fans of average or bad Asian cooking. When the server found out it was our first visit, she did a great job of explaining the extensive menu...and making recommendations. We shared an order of chicken based lettuce wraps which frankly put the best at PF Chang's to shame...absolutely delicious. We then shared an order of Jalapeno fried rice and another chicken dish ( I forget its name...but it was cooked in a fish based broth). Both were equally delicious. The server told us they prepared the food at the customer's request on a hotness scale of 1 to 5...1 was mild and they way they would prepare unspecified orders...5 was hot enough to really get your attention. We decided to go with two and it was perfect. I don't remember us ever eating all of the food served at an Asian restaurant...at Malee's we proudly cleaned our plates and have decided to go back often. If you are like us and haven't been satisfied with this type of food in Arizona...please give this place a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. We ate there on May 22 and I do not remember the female server's name...but it was at lunch time and she was excellent!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, Canada
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Our friends took us here as it is one of their favourites. We were going to be attending the Artist's Walk which takes place every Thursday evening.

We were hungry and decided to go to Happy Hour, which goes till 6pm. We figured we would start with some appetizers and drinks. After that we would order our entrees.

We ordered the sampler which consists of three different apps on a plate, you choose. So we each ordered one plate. Wow, so much food and so amazingly good.

We found we were barely able to finish it. No need for entrees.

The choice of wines and beers for the Happy Hour, were really good. Often you don't get great selections, these were good.

We did also order dessert, what's not to LOVE about Mango Sticky Rice?

The restaurant is quaint and well laid out. They have indoor and outdoor seating. They also have this covered area which looks like it's in an ally, but very pretty. We ended up sitting out there. The weather was to nice to be indoors, but there is smoking on the front patio and our friend has severe asthma and can't be around smoke.

Our waitress Karen, was fun and happy and had loads of energy. She is a real asset to Malee's.

A wonderful Dinner!!! Can't wait to go back again next time we visit Arizona.

• Visited April 2014