“The most impressive Steakhouse I've been to” 5 of 5 stars
Review of J & G Steakhouse at the Phoenician

J & G Steakhouse at the Phoenician
6000 East Camelback Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Formerly Mary Elaine's)
+1 480-214-8000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
J & G Steakhouse at the Phoenician is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 1,025 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Phoenician Place
Description: J&G Steakhouse offers a sophisticated collection of steakhouse classics as interpreted by Michelin starred chef, Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Located atop The Phoenician, the restaurant is draped in a rich palate of purple and gold with a modern, stylish flair. Diners will enjoy dramatic sunsets and views of the Valley while dining on premium meats and a global selection of fish. The bill of fare is complimented by fresh, local ingredients and worldly spices and is masterfully executed by Chef de Cuisine Jacques Qualin.
Vienna, Virginia
“The most impressive Steakhouse I've been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

J & G is hands down the most impressive Steakhouse I have ever been to. I have been to Morton's, Ruth's, and Capital Grill and J & G Steakhouse by far exceeds the rest. The service was also first rate. We were visiting ASU for my daughter and celebrated her 18th birthday and they made an amazing strawberry banana cake for her that was out of this world. In addition, the restaurant has a breathtaking view and they had an amazing musician singing. This steakhouse can't be matched!!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Patrick N, General Manager at J & G Steakhouse at the Phoenician, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We are happy that you chose to visit us during this very important trip to look over schools, and we are delighted that we could provide a memorable meal (will it help your daughter with her choice on ASU?) for you and your family. We hope to see you again in the coming years!

Maryland
“Incredible view, good steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The view at the top of the Phoenician overlooking the valley is stunning, especially at night. The food is very good and well prepared. Two particular items stand out, the veal porterhouse and the ribeye. Both are very flavorful and well portioned. The service is very attentive without being overbearing. One tip, order your steaks one half step more cooked than you would typically order. For some reason they slightly undercook, at least for my taste.

Visited March 2014
Thank you for spending your evening with us and thank you as well for taking your valuable time to write about it. The veal porterhouse is, in my opinion, one of the best dishes on the menu! And we are happy that you felt taken care of by the staff as well. Please come back when you are in town.
Windsor, Canada
“Very Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

The ambience and location of this place is fantastic. We ate here 2 evenings in a row. The first evening, I had one of the best pieces of Salmon I've ever had. We ate on the patio and received wonderful service from Lauren (who we discovered is a descendant of Madame Curie!). We returned the next night to try the $66 Dover Sole. It was filleted table side and it was worth the money. Service on the second evening was a bit sub par however with the server leaving us with the dessert menu, but never coming back to take our order. He walked past us 3 times and we waited about 15 minutes without him coming back to check on us. We asked a bus boy for our check and left without feeling valued as patrons. Other than this incident, the restaurant is well run.

Visited March 2014
Patrick N, General Manager at J & G Steakhouse at the Phoenician, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for coming in to see us twice and for writing about your experiences with us. We appreciate the compliments and we are glad that you enjoyed yourselves. We also thank you for the feedback on the service, and we will use your comments to coach the staff and make J&G a better restaurant.
Toronto, Canada
“Order the tomohawk steak or the Sole!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had dinner at JG (Jean George Vongerichten), the famous steakhouse where I dined with a colleague on a tomahawk steak with mushroom and spinach as sides. The steak was done the way it was ordered (ordered it medium rare) and its flavours were just right with the perfect marbling. The wine list is very good as well and all the server seemed to know a lot about wine and wine pairings. Again a sign of a well trained and caring staff. For starters we had the seafood platter with a bottle of Shramsberg Blanc de Blanc, an excellent Californian sparkling wine. We had a Californian Cab with the steak and for dessert we shared a delicious apple crumble. From a service, food presentation and ambiance perspective, it was excellent and I would definitely go back if we were ever in AZ again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your dinner with us. We try to construct the wine list so that the choices we offer give you the (fun!) opportunity to decide how best to show off both our food and the wines. We appreciate you taking the time to mention our hard-working and dedicated staff as well. Please come back to see us when you return to town.
Providence, Rhode Island
“Rotten Tomatoes - Not Jean George Quality Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Wife and I just had a meal at the J&J Steakhouse and we have to say we were very disappointed. The service was not good except for good recommendation on wine and some oysters. Service was extremely slow to the point I was wondering if they were trying to give us a European dinning experience or just couldn't get the food out of the kitchen fast enough. Some of the dish were down right terrible. THE TOMATOES IN THE HEIRLOOM TOMATO SALAD WERE ALMOST ROTTEN. The french onion soup tasted like it was the type you get from the freezer section of your local grocery store. My wife and I have been to his local at the Trump in NYC and loved it but he should really consider taking his name off of this restaurant. Upside is the view and ambiance was awesome.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Patrick N, General Manager at J & G Steakhouse at the Phoenician, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
I am stunned and disappointed about your experience at our restaurant. I want to sincerely apologize for your evening, this is not what we are about. Since I do not know exactly which day you ate here, I cannot speak to the reasons for the slow service, but I do regret that this happened. As to the food issues, the onion soup and the heirloom tomatoes are two of the long-time favorites at the restaurant, and the chef is retraining the staff on each step of their preparations as a result of what you were served. I would like very much to speak with you about your evening if you would like to call me or email me with the best way and best time to get in touch with you. -Patrick