“Hot but manageable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Kierland Villas

You added Westin Kierland Villas to your Saves list
Westin Kierland Villas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   15620 North Clubgate Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85254 (Paradise Valley)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sherman oaks
“Hot but manageable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

First of all, I'm a starwood owner since 2009 and this is not my home resort.

This review is for the westin kierland villas hotel. BUT... All the amenities/activities at the next door sister resort, the westin kierland resort, are available to you as well. So I'll be referring to both the villas hotel and the neighbor resort, so keep up.
We went during august and it was average around 105 during the day and 85 at night. What the hell! Just chill at the pool and drink lots of water, and you'll be fine. Even though its hot as hell you can still enjoy the pool area but we couldn't for more than 3 hours in the sun.

It wasn't crowded last week since school started for most kids in Arizona, so it was great and had the pool all to ourselves sometimes.

Villas vs resort: We stayed at the villas hotel, which is smaller than the average starwood vacation network hotel, but combined with the neighboring sister Westin Resort, it's huge! THE main difference between the 2 properties would be the kitchen. If you have kids and/or large family, cooking breakfast and grilling on their many bbq's is the way to go to save money along with going out to dinner only once every day or every other day, rather than eating out 3x/day. I don't mind cooking. If you don't wanna do any of that cooking crap, get a hotel room at the resort and spend away on overpriced food. Basically, if you have a family=villa, if not=resort.

Water slide is nice and baby-cute at villas, but there's a longer and faster one at the resort which is better for older kids.
Both properties have an activities/main pool area with various activities/events throughout the day and also an addiitional "quiet" 24 hour pool too for a total of 4 pools at your disposal. The "quiet" pool isn't really quiet at 8pm because both properties main pools close at 8pm, so everyone and their kids and grandma transfers to the "quiet" pool. No one gets kicked out by the way, and nobody cares that it's loud at 8pm. Worked out for me because my family was one of the loud ones at the quiet pools at 8pm-whenever.
Jacuzzi's at both.

Lazy river at the resort is THE laziest river i've ever been on. What I mean is, and I've been to a lotta lazy rivers, that it's super slow with no waterfall features pouring on top of you, and my grandma can swim faster than the current. Still, it's cool and my family enjoyed it.

FLOWRIDER! The resort's flowrider was the highlight of our stay. It's a modified, constant wave of water that you and your kids(height requirement i think is 42 inches) can enjoy trying to boogie board, surf on a flowboard(sorta like surfing/snowboarding) on that never-ending wave. $30/hour shared with other people taking turns on the wave on that whole hour. What would be better is if they got the FLOWBARREL like they have at the Wavehouse in Belmont park in San diego-now that would be awesome, or a surf-like wave pool at typhoon lagoon in Orlando where you can surf realistically as possible but in a wave pool. But the flowrider is still awesome, especially for small kids. My 7 year old just made the height req and loved it even though he needed a lotta help to get in the wave. Thanks to ryan, zach, and tyler at the flowrider for helping him out.

Organized fun team activities at both main pools are cool for kids and adults. Some have a fee, some not. Fridays are great because of live music at night at the resort, as well as food trucks and smores! Other activities at both resorts are free ping-pong, foosball, basketball, giant sized chess and checkers.

There are organized adult themes with wine tastings and a wine dinner at the villas hotel, but I chose a Scotch tasting at the resort. Trying to be a man drinking a true man's drink, i tried an assortment of whiskey's with the help of a knowledgable scotch man named Guy at the resort. He educated me on the world of scotch and whiskey and provided appetizers. Again, awesome.

BEWARE, birds are opportunistic food stealers and water drinkers. If you are at the pool and leave your food and drink for a second, birds of prey will swoop down and bathe in your drink and devour your french fries like they haven't eaten for days! Cover it up with a hat or towel if you leave it even for a second.

Getting around:
Walking between villas and resort is fine and only 5min, but not fine in 100 degree sun and especially not with young kids. Same too with walking to Kierland Commons and Scottsdale quarters, also a 10 min walk but its too hot. Take the FREE shuttle service that runs every 10 min it seems, and is great to go between the villas, resort, kierland commons, scottsdale quarters. You definitely need a car since you gotta go grocery shopping(safeway, trader joe's, walgreens, & whole foods nearby) and visit museums(science center, children's museum, butterfly wonderland, safari, water raft tubing, slide rock park up north), and go to farther restaurants than what's nearby in commons/quarters/hotel.

Dining:
Mastro's- Yeah, yeah. I've been to many Mastro's restaurants in Los Angeles but I had to do it again here. Why the hell not? I'm a steak guy. Get a bone-in ribeye and butter cake. Have the concierge book it and you'll get free dessert. It's in Kierland commons.
Mcdowell's Market and grill- Above average small kitchen hotel food in the villas hotel. Fish tacos had a great sauce.
La Hacienda- Tex-mex southwest cuisine that was supposed to typify the local palate. Hands-down my favorite restaurant for local food. It's in the historic Fairmont Princess hotel 10 min drive north on Scottsdale rd.
Carlsbad Tavern- Another southwest cuisine place that had the best crab-stuffed poblano platter I've ever had. It's a cozy restaurant with a sports bar type area and separate dining room area. 25 min. south.
Mcdonalds- Yep, I said it. When you are caught off guard, and it's getting too late to cook lunch, and you're on the road shopping for something, and the kids are starving and whining, this was a quick fix. I love Mcdonalds for that reason, and I'm proud to say that I took the family only once for fast food. It's down the street.

Discounts:
As an owner(not sure if you get the same discounts if you are a regular guest), we get several discounts. Golf and spa obviously. But the best discount was the 10% off anything from Mcdowell's and 20% from Nellie Cashmans restaurant in the resort. Also, if you show your keycard to various stores in the Kierland commons and Scottsdale quarters you get a variety of discounts. For a full list, get it from the concierge.

The room:
Clean 1 bedroom with sofa bed, kitchen, safe, washer and dryer, dishwasher, immaculate bathroom with a deep jacuzzi tub. It was more modern than I thought. If you do cook, you don't need anything but milk, eggs, butter, cooking oil, and any other perishables you'll buy from safeway or whole foods/trader joe's like a nice juicy rib-eye to grill on the premises on their pristine bbq grill. They have mostly everything you can think of as far as utensils and dishware.

Pictures attached:
The web-site can show you all the pictures of the pool and room and such. What I'm gonna show you is the typical activities schedule at their main pools both at the resort and villas hotel as well as a property map to show you where to go. Remember that these activities will not reflect exactly what will be offered to you on your days you are there. It's just a sample of what to expect.

Service:
Westin fixed our broken fridge and replaced our spoiled items in a timely manner. Excellent reparations made.

Bottom line: I would definitely go again. Beware the birds, take the free shuttle, remember to use your discounts as much as you can, buy groceries, have fun, be lazy, and most importantly, get a buttercake at Mastro's! Don't worry, you'll sweat off all the calories just standing for 30 min in the hot sun the next day.

Room Tip: Request a room in buildings 1 to 5, not 6 or 7 just because its a farther walk.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you very much for your comprehensive, helpful review of our property and the area. I love to hear of guests who take advantage of Villa activities, utilize the amenities of The Westin Kierland Resort, and discover local food and shopping. You will help many other fellow travelers have a great Scottsdale/Kierland experience. Please contact me if I can ever assist you with future plans to return to Scottsdale.

Scott Caldwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is the second time my sisters and I with our family's have met at this resort. And this time the resort outdid themselves. We also requested rooms together facing the golf course and we were accommodated, even though the resort was near capacity. The rooms were clean and well stocked. We were so comfortable, we felt like it was home. The staff was amazing, very helpful in filling requests. Grounds are beautiful and the pools super clean. Lets not forget the food, We ate breakfast at the Market Place and it was delish and plentyful. I can not say enough about this resort. We hope to be back for another reunion in the next couple of years. Thank you for your elegance.

Room Tip: A view of their golf courses is a feast for the eyes. The green with the mountains in the backdrop a...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for returning for a second vacation with us. I appreciate your praise of our team and facilities. I hope you and your sisters will let us know when you plan your next reunion.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Staff exceptionally helpful, atttentive and polite.
great sauna & steam, small gym 24/7 also @the hotel
2 pools offeredd on each property, one is the "quiet" pool

staying @villas gives you full access to the hotel. best lazy river EVER
grounds are gorgeous

some covered parking...shuttle service
private balcony on the golf course put the cherry on top!

beautiful area of Phoenix

Room Tip: stayed on golf course away fr pool area where its quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased our team took great care of you and that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you make it back to Phoenix soon.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I think the first thing to remember is that is a vacation ownership property. With the in suite kitchen area the resort tends to cater to families. It really is a family friendly resort.

We stayed here on a rate that included a per night account credit for incidentals. The rate and how it worked was unknown by out checkin front desk person. Front desk doesn’t appear to be a strong point for this resort.

The suites are well appointed and generally in good repair. Our carpet was very dirty but cleaned within a couple of days after raising the concern. The phone system has issues. It took 5 phone calls to clear a system issue and the master bedroom phone did not work well.

The concierge area was good and proactive. These guys are obviously on commission so they should be good!

Discounts (with conditions) for the hotel and vacation resort are available should you choose to attend a presentation. Contact me directly for my personal observations of the sales presentation.
Overall the resort was great! Cabanas are relatively cheap but keep in mind others will take over your paid space if you are not there. Management seemed somewhat reluctant to deal much with this issue.

A couple of days before we were to check out we wanted to put a deposit down for our room. There was an exchange rate advantage that we wanted to lock in. Upon check out we discovered the deposit was never made in addition to the final bill having charges for the room credit rather than a credit. It’s not a hotel but a vacation resort – but at the Westin level this is a point of performance improvement needed.

Check out is a firm 10 AM. No problem We knew this in advance. We pre booked a cabana for the day and checked out after showering and dressing and having our final cabana charges posted to our account. The bell desk held our luggage.

Other observations:
- almost all parking is uncovered
- the family pool water is pretty murky by the end of the day
- you also have access to the main hotel pool & restaurants when staying at the resort
- there is shuttle service to the hotel and the local area. We saw one family delivered from the local food store with their groceries
- in our deluxe villa master bedroom, the curtains are puled from the middle to the edge. Although they spent a lot of money on black out curtains it went to waste when they could not be pulled enough to cover the window. I used low tack masking tape to pull the edges of the curtain over the window and block out the morning sun that lit the headboard area of the bed at 6:00 am.
I would likely stay here again should I decide to visit Arizona in the future.

The vacation ownership presentation is most interesting theatre! Go for the thrill of it otherwise you can buy your ownership on line for pennies on the dollar.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I'm very happy to hear you would like to stay with us again should you return to Scottsdale. I appreciate your observations and will work to correct the issues we didn't perform as well. Please contact me if I can help with any future plans to Arizona.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Recently stayed here with my family in a 1 Bedroom premium villa (not an owner). The staff was great from the moment we got to the property. The pools are great and the amenities at the regular resort are awesome. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind words. I'm thrilled you found our team friendly and helpful. I'd love to meet you when you return.

Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

What a lovely resort. We had a fourth floor balcony overlooking the course and the patio area where we could hear the Scottish bagpipes at sunset every night. We were there in late June which is awfully hot, but they had spritzers in outdoor seating areas that really helped cool you down. My husband was attending a work event during the day so I enjoyed some shopping, reading and the luxurious facilities. Service by poolside was wonderful, I stayed mostly by the adults only pool, but enjoyed a trip around the lazy river too. The spa was fabulous, took a great Yoga class every morning and had a fantastic exfoliation treatment and massage. The concierge heard that it was our 25th wedding anniversary when they helped us with dinner reservations, so they sent delicious chocolate covered strawberries to our room.

The area of Scottsdale is basically a giant outdoor shopping mall,with all the usual high-end chains and restaurants, along with a few local/regional outfits. there is Old Town which is a little bit quainter. I took a previous trip to Arizona to visit the Grand Canyon and Prescott, much more interesting and impressive. want to go back to see Flagstaff and Sedona someday.

Room Tip: It depends, we enjoyed the sunrise from our room overlooking the golf-course, some may prefer the po...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Happy belated Anniversary! Thank you for spending such a special time with us, and I hope you will have a chance to return soon.

Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

The most beautiful resort and amenities. Accommodated a family reunion. Requested rooms facing the golf course, upper level and all together. Each request made with no question. Staff superb, rooms super clean, comfortable, appointed and spacious. Pools, there are three including at the hotel side very clean and perfect service. Especially at the relaxation pool where we spent most of our pool time. You will not be disappointed. If you plan to visit the Grand Canyon check out Pink Jeep tours. They pick you up, do all the driving and you sit back and enjoy the scenery. Concierge extremely helpful to plan outings. Even did our owner update with ease. All this during the hottest time of year in Arizona. But don't let that stop you, dry heat, pool water temp just right and cool beverages. Will definitely go again and this was our second visit!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thank you so much for returning for another vacation with us. You described the best way to deal with the summer in Arizona. Please come visit us again soon.

Scott Caldwell

Been to Westin Kierland Villas? Share your experiences!