“Average motel like experience in good location with access to a great Athletic Club” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Scottsdale Resort & Athletic Club

Hotel deals
Ranked #64 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Chatham, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

First rooms are VERY NOISY. We had a standard room with an adjoining door to what must have been a suite full of a loud 3 generational family. We heard all of their conversations, comings and goings until well after 11 pm. The room size was ok; it did have a sink and a microwave. Were we staying for tennis the value may have been greater.

• Stayed March 2013

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Naramata, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I thought that I had read some reviews when we had booked and I really don't recall seeing many.
First I will say that the pool was clean and temperature was perfect, lovely hot tub also.
Staff was friendly and polite.
Now....this is the first time I have written a review so here it goes:
1. The couple we were with booked reserved a room (suite) for themselves, we took the adjoining room. They gave the rooms to somebody else.
2. Our room 202B was exceptionally dark. We could barely see anything with all the lights on. The ceiling fan rocked back and forth when we turned it on, very scary!!
3. Our door was left open after it was cleaned. We were out for the day, so we didn't get back until about 3 or so to discover the door adjar. We actually put the do not disturb sign, to keep everybody out after that.
4. I did read on an earlier post about the garbage bags being left around for long periods of time. Yes!
5. There were not enough pool lounges for the number of rooms and some of them were broken.
6. The restaurant food was adequate, only one person working the floor and another couple eating. Should have walked out when we weren't greeted in the first 10 minutes. Grabbed our own menus!
7. The computer in the main office for guests was slow....couldn't get onto some of the sites I needed too, and the internet that was promised never did get connected with our ipads. The fellow came to our friends room to try to see what the problem was and couldn't figure it out and so we never did manage to get connected.
8. Our friends dishwasher leaked all over their kitchen, several times, they mentioned it twice before somebody was sent up to fix it.
9. Cleaning staff would roll the buckets of water and mops by the rooms early in the morning, so if you weren't awake by then, you were now.
10. Ok!! one of the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. Coffee very weak, yogurt only the very first day. No fresh fruit in a bowl. just muffins, bagels, jam, cream cheese, plastic utensils, paper cups, plastic bowls. Not impressed at all!
Clearly there is not a lot of money being spent to keep the hotel visitors happy. I am not a tennis player, but understood that this was a top notch tennis resort - they must mean the courts only.
Sorry, this was so negative, but it was a disappointment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

To clarify, this is the 3rd time I have ever written a review...and the other two times were to rave of the facilities...
To begin with, this place is essentially comparable to a high-end Motel 6, so the wording and advertisement of it as such is spurious...

Second, I was absolutely appalled at their complete lack of professionalism. They booked my reservation for November (despite the fact that I reserved it for February). The front desk rectified this by placing me in a "villa" (large apartment with 1980s decor). However, the next morning I was harangued by the property manager that I would have to pay for this upgrade not for any other reason that it was somehow my fault that I did not check the date of the reservation confirmation. I was even impolitely informed that even if I downgraded back to the original size of the room I reserved, that I would have to pay a considerably higher rate than what I reserved it for as I was quoted the November rate...

Indeed, I had never seen such a blatant disregard for customer satisfaction and professionalism. I promptly left their "villa" and stayed elsewhere...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Winona, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The resort was in very poor condition and no where near what the website portrayed. Garbage was left in hallways bagged and unbagged for up to 14 hours. Poolside towels were usually not available and when they were they were thin and had holes in them. The pool area had 13 lounge chairs for 84 rooms. The gounds were poorly kept and had very little color. When we came and called for 2 more pillows and hangars we were told if you want them come and get them. The room had very poor lighting and we had to beg for light bulbs higher than 60 watt. The shower had mold in it and they forgot to clean our room 2 of the 11 days we stayed. The help generally didn't care and when we talked to the operations manager she said they didn't have the available money to correct the problems. Why stay 11 days...booked through Hotels.com and could not get our money back if left early, lessoned learned. Next time we'll read Trip Advisor.com reviews.

Room Tip: all the rooms we saw were not updated, poor lighting,tube tv,s bad mattress.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Lured by the price; this was unfortunately something close to a bait-and-switch.

Let's see. Room was smaller than represented on the site. Hot water was reluctant to arrive. Sink plunger was disconnected from the stopper and left in position to block up the sink; had to pop it off to allow water to drain. After first day, there was no soap left in our room when it was cleaned, and what we did have was removed! Went to front desk; the guy disappeared for a full five minutes and located some hand soap but no bar soap for the shower. We had a full bar the day before. Bizarre.

Rooms were noisy. Tennis lessons were rolling along by 8:30 a.m., complete with shouted instructions. Voices outside our room were amplified by acoustics.

But here's what took the cake. The binder listing hotel services included a reference to an on-site putting green near the lobby building. Sounded good. I circled the lobby building and came up empty. Went inside and inquired about the location of the front desk, and the guy pointed out to the grassy area between the building and the pool. I asked: "THAT's the putting green?" "Yeah, we have it for kids."

I've never heard of a grass putting green that was specifically set aside for kids. But the reason that the statement is so confusing is that that THERE IS NO PUTTING GREEN. It is a lawn. Looks as though it could have been a putting green in some forgotten time, if you cover one eye and squint with the other. But it was a lawn. It had no hole anywhere for a putting target, and no evidence that one had ever existed. The grass was longer than the grass on the fairways I had played on earlier in the week. I'll say it again: It's not just a poorly-maintained green; it's JUST A LAWN. How the guy pointed to it with a straight face, in what amounts to the golf capitol of the southwest, is incredible. The only thing that would have completed the scene would be some two-dimensional free-standing lawn art. Fine lawn. Utterly crappy (nonexistent) putting green. Deceptive and bush league.

Room Tip: Avoid the north side facing the tennis courts. Lessons start early and can be loud. Might as well sp...
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I just got home from this "Resort' for my 25th wedding anniversary. This place is a complete joke. First off, you can hardly see in your room because they are too cheap to put a light kit in with the ceiling fan. So what do you get? Two Dim table lights. Next off, got to the jacuzzi and guess what? No towells in the middle of the day. So we go in any way, turn it on, and get luke warm water. Call and complain, they send a maitenance man out, he turns it up a little, and then informs us the owners don't want it turned up over 100 degrees because tere too cheap. They even have old school tv's. No Flat screens here folks! No room cleaning either! How in the world is THIS A RESORT? Resort? Motel 6 maybe, Resort-- No!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Scottsdale Resort & Athletic Club? Share your experiences!