“Funky Retro Apt turned Hotel, BEWARE OF SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Scottsdale

You added El Dorado Scottsdale to your Saves list
El Dorado Scottsdale
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   6825 East 4th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Downtown Scottsdale)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 10 Scottsdale B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Funky Retro Apt turned Hotel, BEWARE OF SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have to start out by saying that I love the vintage vibe, the pool area and the apt style rooms. The atmosphere around the pool is terrific and the fire pit and heated pool are awesome and I enjoyed it very much. The part that is so TERRIBLE you can hardly imagine is the service and hotel staff. They all had different answers to questions, cleaning staff didn't just knock actually came into our apt at 8am to clean (hadn't checked out) and the front desk person and manager where unbelievebly rude! Upon checkout, I told them that we had dirty stained handtowels offered near the tub for our floor mat. They said it wasn't true. I told them it was and although I liked the place they have some repairs to do in the rooms and the towels were not clean etc... They said that I was making it up. When I went to the room to get the towel to show them, they said (in front of other guests) that I had gotten the dirty towel out of my car!! So crazy. This is just one example of the terrible service. If the staff tells you that you are lying and making things up when they ask if there is anyway they can improve... this place may not be around for long!! There is more, but thinking back to how terrible the service was makes me get fired up.
Oh and the bedrooms do not have tvs, they have large armoires and you open and no tv. The ads also say they have 42 inch tv and we had 2 different rooms during our stay and the first had a 27 inch (my computer screen is bigger than that). Beware of the short cuts as the ad doesn't really show the shortcuts they take to get by.

MY ADVICE: Stay here if you like having a kitchen and expect NO SERVICE and to be dumped on. If the price is right and you can have ZERO interaction with the staff you will have a great stay.

PS - I have photos of all the issues as proof!

Room Tip: Try to view room first as the amenities are not as pictured or described. Some pics are combos of se...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends over this past weekend and had an amazing time. It was not only affordable but the rooms were decorated super cute -- each with its own unique vibe. We stayed in two of the two-suite rooms and were surprised to find that both bedrooms had their own bathrooms and king size beds (which were very comfortable by the way). The rooms were very clean (in fact the entire place was very clean and I saw people cleaning the pool area multiple times each day). The front desk folks were extremely friendly and helpful. They called us cabs, gave us directions to local restaurants/bars, helped us start a fire, were both speedy and friendly when we asked for extra towels or ice. The entire place had a very cool/hip vibe. We basically spent the entire weekend lounging by the pool, visiting in the courtyard, stopping by the local shops/bars/restaurants, and sitting around the fire each night. In the morning a few of us even took some of the beach cruisers down the street to get breakfast! It was so much fun and I enjoyed my stay such that I'm currently working out details to rent out the entire place for my upcoming nuptials!

I didn't see if they had a fitness center or spa facilities so I rated those "average" but everything else was EXCELLENT!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I found this hotel to be quite a find, my girlfriend and I stayed here for a conference in March 2013. It was very affordable considering it was Phoenix's peak season (most hotels were $50-$75 more a night); the amenities were great and the staff was very accommodating. Initially, we arrived 4 hours before our check-in time and the staff allowed us to place all of our bags with them while we walked around Scottsdale and did some exploring, this was a great help and very appreciated. They also cleaned our room first so we were able to check in a couple of hours before the 1500 scheduled time which was very appreciated also (we didn't ask, they took it upon themselves to do this). So, within the first couple of hours of interacting with the staff I was very pleased with their customer service.

The value was great considering it was their peak season, as mentioned before. I think our room was cheaper than the majority of rental cars that time of year.

I found the sleep quality was great, the bed was comfortable, not the most comfortable I've ever slept in, but I didn't have any issues falling asleep. I do recognize some other people's concerns that at times I felt that the center courtyard could've been noisy, but I think it's more because of the layout and echoing than it is people being just extremely loud. That said, I noticed it sometimes during the day, but at night I never really noticed the noise; then again, I'm a pretty heavy sleeper so I don't typically wake easily, so my opinion may not be the best.

I felt that the rooms were clean (no dust, no bugs, no hair, etc.) and cozy. That said, if you are one of those people that meticulously notices and criticizes everything in the room (small stains on the floor, stains in the grout, etc) then this is probably not the place for you. I understand that this place used to be apartments, so I expect some wear to show on some of the things that are trafficked on; therefore, I'm not surprised nor disgusted to see some wear.

As mentioned above, the location is great, you are walking distance from Old Scottsdale and the baseball stadium. My girlfriend and I walked everywhere and were capable of getting to everything easily. I think the entire time we were there we took a cab one time, but for the most part everything was right there.

The rooms were great, being that both my girlfriend and I are grad students, staying in a hotel that had in room amenities like a refrigerator, stove, plates, silverware, etc. was great. This was definitely more a suite as opposed to a hotel room, which we found wonderful. We were able to cook and eat a lot of our meals in the room. The pool was in great shape and the entire area around the pool was pretty hip and up to date. They had grills, games, etc. all around the pool which several people were using and seemed to work great.

All in all, this hotel was wonderful and I would definitely stay here again. The price was great, the rooms were great, and the staff was wonderful. The hotel is in a great location and everything is easily within walking distance.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue, you could always ask to get a room that is tucked back into one of the corners...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellingham Wa.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I agree with most of the other guests that there is a real effort on the part of the owners-staff to be extremely helpful, and the hotel offers a lot of amenities ie bikes, games and barbecues. With that said I think the hotel must be catering more to the party crowd . It is 9 pm (early by most people's standards) and the music is blasting so loud that you can't even hear your television . This could be because we are on the second floor and there is a speaker right outside our door, but we have no windows or doors open and it is so loud. I'm not a prude and like music like the next person, but I am also an early riser and this is making sleep impossible . I feel they need either to turn the music down considerably once it's dusk or say that they are a " party hotel". I will probably not come back

Room Tip: If you forgot your own iPod ask to be near one of the speakers you will hear music all night long
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the El Dorado Scottsdale for two nights on a business trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale and was quite pleased with the accommodation at the hotel. The property seems to have been renovated from an apartment complex and has a sort of "melrose place" vibe, with the guest rooms surrounding a common courtyard with pool, lounge and activities area.

My guest room was a one bedroom apartment that was really just perfect - there wasn't anything I would have changed - the bed was large and comfortable, linens very nice, bathroom a good size and well equipped. Both nights I slept really well and didn't have any issues with noise, light or any other distractions. The living area was also very comfortable with a really comfortable couch, desk area, as well as kitchen / dining area. If I were to return to Scottsdale with friends or family, I'd certainly consider staying at this property as the kitchen would be cute / convenient for breakfasts/lunches, etc.

The pool / lounge area looked great and though I didn't have much time to enjoy the amenities, I would certainly consider staying here when returning on business or pleasure.

Drawbacks - no room service / mini bar / restaurant service - this isn't a full service property.

Location - we walked 10 minutes to a row of restaurants and there's also the Hotel Valley Ho with a cute restaurant/lounge also just 5 minutes walking distance. Very convenient!

Room Tip: I'd suggest calling and requesting one of the rooms pictured on their website as apparently they...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
tucson, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a wonderful time! The staff was outstanding and friendly and I would recommend it to anyone who loves mid century period properties.
We rented bikes from them and pedaled around old town.
The rooms were converted apartments so we had a kitchen from which we could plan some meals at home.
Great value, great location and quiet!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I frequent Scottsdale on occasion and usually stay at Hotel Valley Ho or Fire Sky. Guess what? Not anymore! For the price, location, hip/fun design and friendliness of this place-you can't beat it! I loved everything about this place but the best part was the underlying sense of freedom you feel here. It's hard to explain. Maybe it has to do with the fact the hotel used to be apartments or that it is nestled in a residential area, that there are bicycles and games to use at your leisure, grapefruits to pick from the trees-I don't know-it just feels like you are at home and free to 'be'. The pictures say it all. Awesome awesome awesome. I could go on and on. Thanks Leo!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Scottsdale? Share your experiences!