“Fine hotel, but we expected more at this price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa

You added The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6902 East Greenway Parkway, Scottsdale, AZ 85254 (Paradise Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NC
“Fine hotel, but we expected more at this price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

My family and I got 2 rooms and stayed for 3 nights at the Westin Kierland for a conference being held there. The service was great, the grounds were really nice, and it helped that the weather was fabulous, but for the price we paid I expected much more.

Check In & Service:
Checking in was really easy and smooth, as everyone from the valet to the desk clerk was extremely courteous and helpful, as they were throughout our entire stay. The property is really beautiful, and it's a generally relaxing atmosphere.

Rooms:
I was really surprised at how modest the rooms were given the amount of money we spent for them. They were clean, the linens were nice, and of course featured the "Westin Heavenly Beds" (which truly are heavenly), but they felt very small, as did the balconies. Also, we got stuck in rooms so far away from the lobby, I was literally out of breath every time I had to make the trek between the lobby and the rooms. We called the front desk to see if we could change rooms, but were told that they "weren't allowed" to change them that day for some reason.

The tap water, by the way, is so soft and full of chemicals that I felt like I was washing my hands in gelatin.

Cost:
Besides the small rooms, my main problem was with the price of everything. I knew that things would be expensive, given it's a resort hotel, but I wasn't expecting it to be as pricey as it was. The bottles of water they left in the room cost five dollars each! (Tip: save yourself some money and go to the gift shop in the lobby area; they sell bottled water for $2.75.) I was appalled at cost of room service: Six bucks for a bowl of Spaghettios! Seven dollars for a bowl of Kraft mac and cheese! And that was only the kids menu. Note that this didn't include the mandatory 21% gratuity, or the $3 service charge per order. Forget your toothbrush or your razor? There's a charge for *everything*.

Internet:
Internet access is $13 for 24 hours, and didn't actually work in one of the rooms for a few hours after we first got it. They outsource the customer service for their internet access, and I wasted half an hour on the phone with 3 different techs trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally had a meeting to go to, and by the time I got back the internet was miraculously working.

Dining:
The restaurants at the hotel were above average for hotel restaurants, and the service was always friendly. They have outdoor seating for one of their restaurants, and the courtyards are a great place to sit and relax. We treated ourselves to a couple of spa treatments (pricey of course, but mostly worth it), and spent some time lounging by the adult pool.

At the end of the conference, we packed our bags and moved to a hotel in Old Town Scottsdale: a two bedroom suite for less than the price of one room at the Kierland. After staying at the Kierland and then moving to the other hotel, we surprisingly didn't feel like we were downgrading that much. The location of the Kierland is in north Scottsdale and is very "inclusive", i.e. it's not convenient if you're trying to see anything in Scottsdale outside of the resort.

If you're a golf lover and have cash to burn, the Westin Kierland would probably be an appropriate, enjoyable place for you. Otherwise, I personally feel it's not worth the money.

• Liked — Excellent service, beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Price, small rooms, inconvenience of room location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Stayed at the Westin Kierland Hotel for 2 nights before we checked into the Villa. What we loved--Great adult pool and separate great family pool designed so those of us at the adult pool didn't here the noise from the other Family pool was so neat with a lazy river, sand area etc we almost wished for a child to take over. . Although the prices were higher than normal for food as at all resorts , we didn't have one meal that wasn't great including food by the pool. Good pool service and incredible staff--you never passed an employee that didn't smile and say hello. Bagpipes at sunset--nice. Nice workout area-beautiful property-what more could you want?

• Liked — Beautifully kept property
  • Disliked — Coffee shop to crowed every day
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

When I first drove up to the Westin I was very pleased. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious and had a walk out porch.
The pool was beautiful and had a water slide. The lifeguard was very friendly to my kids. The food at the pool was very good.
The shops by the hotel were very convenient.
Overall my hotel experience was extremely wonderful and i would defiantly recommend the Westin Kierland resort and Spa to anyone traveling to Scottsdale.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The beds
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

We recently completed a stay at the Westin Kierland Resort. It's in a wonderful location, close to the Kierland Commons Mall and local eateries. The hotel food is pricey so I recommend driving down the street to Safeway to stock up on snack items and bottled water. This is a must if you have kids. A few downsides, I paid a lot of money and I must say the amount of noise was incredible. I had to call guest services 2 times because I could hear everything the people in the room next to me were saying. There was also a function below my room, the music and noise were deafening at times. You could feel the vibrations from the music. Second, if you don't get to the pool at 8 am or when they open you can forget about getting a seat. People save seats and don't return until well after noon time. The staff really wasn't willing to do anything about this. We rented a cabana one day, that was first class and very nice. The rooms are nice, they are clean but if you're looking for fancy you'd do better to stay at the Biltmore or the Phoenician also in Scottsdale. If you're a family travelling with kids then this is a great place for you to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy rooms and no seats at the pool
st. louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

We had requested 3rd floor or below, king bed, and a good view when making reservations but when we arrived, we got 11th floor, 2 double beds, and a good view. that was ok, but the person at the front desk said we would be contacted as soon as something else became available if we wanted to change rooms and in 4 days, we were never contacted. we respect water conservation attempts and every day would hang up our towels as the sign said, but every day, we would get all new towels. also, every night, there is a turndown service and they would come in our room, but this is not a service I wanted and especially did not want to pay for it! however, overall, the hotel was very nice and the concierge staff was helpful. we liked the lazy river at the pool and the smell of the wood in the outdoor fireplaces in the evening.

• Liked — beds were comfortable and room was quiet, bathroom was very nice
  • Disliked — expensive, should do what they say such as front desk calling, not changing clean towels
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

For all the hype of the reviews and the Westin name, I expected something special at the Kierland Westin but we were pretty underwhelmed by our experience there this past weekend.

Our stay didn't get off to a good start when I had to stand in line for 20 minutes just to check-in - they only 1 person staffing the desk. I had booked a club-level room having had wonderful experiences with the Ritz-Carlton club rooms/floors. Suffice to say, the Kierland club floor/lounge wasn't nearly the caliber of the Ritz. Our room was right off the elevators and had a lovely view of the roof and parking lot. The lounge reminded me more of the breakfast rooms for express hotels offering complimentary breakfasts. The lounge view was lovely but the balconies are barely big enough for a small table and two chairs - not somewhere you would want to sit and enjoy coffee...

We hung out at the adult pool on Friday and Saturday afternoon and it was nice. The adult pool is a basic rectangle and was fine but didn't feel at all "resorty". The grounds are very pretty and the staff was very nice although we had pretty inconsistent service throughout our 3 night stay. Service in the Monday Club for breakfast was pretty slow but we had great service at the pool on Friday afternoon. For some reason housekeeping skipped making up our room on Friday even though we were gone most of the day. When I called that night, they offered to come up but it was 11pm. Housekeeping was very prompt the next morning at a pre-set time and the housekeeper could not have been nicer.

All in all for the kind of money you will spend at the Westin, there are better choices in Scottsdale/Phoenix. I was pretty disappointed after spending $2,000 for 3 nights for a "resort" that was really just average.

• Liked — Great beds and showers
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Berkeley Heights, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

My hustand and two daughters stayed at this hotel during spring break. We were very happy with everything about the hotel. We did have a problem with our room, however, once we spoke to a manager (Brigette), she appologized and upgraded us to a one bedroom casita suite which was lovely. In addition, the next day we had a basket of goodies in our room with a letter appologizing for any inconvience.

The pool area was amazing and service was good without being intrusive. Location was good, there was quite a bit around the hotel. Rooms were very clean, beds were super comfortable and the service was better than most resorts that we have stayed at.

Lastly, even though it was spring break and the hotel was 100% booked, the facilities were not over crowded.

Without hesitation I would stay here again.

• Liked — Pool and beds
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!