“Relaxing luxury resort experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa

You added The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6902 East Greenway Parkway, Scottsdale, AZ 85254 (Paradise Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orlando, Florida
“Relaxing luxury resort experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were at this hotel for a conference. Scottsdale is not generally some place I'd choose to go in June as the heat is oppressive. We went a couple of days before the conference to have some relaxation time and I'm so glad we did! I had a standard double room which was good sized and the beds were comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a refrigerator, which I made good use of even though they provided me a complimentary bottle of water each day (needed!). They have a single cup coffee maker with Starbucks coffee in the room. There was a tiny balcony with two chairs and a table, but it was only usable first thing in the morning due to the heat. I liked the fact that they provide a lighted make-up mirror - very helpful and unusual in a hotel. Unfortunately, internet is not complimentary and is expensive.
There is a golf course on-site (can't comment, don't play). There are two large pools. One is for adults-only, which I appreciated! It was quiet and relaxing. There are plenty of shaded areas for those of us who are not sun-seekers and they provide complimentary pitchers of ice water. The pool itself was very nice - two lanes for laps and a large open area. If you take a dip in the pool, the heat is ok to sit in the shade. I had lunch out by the pool from J. Swillings - they have servers come by periodically at the adult pool, even though the restaurant is at the family pool. Very good sandwich and adult beverage. I took a walk by the 2nd pool - a family pool. Large with lots of chairs, but a lot noisier, as you would expect. It looked like a place a family could have a great time. There is a surfing ride for an extra charge. They have a lazy river in this pool area. I wish I could have used it but it didn't open until 10a and by that time it was too hot to be out in the sun. Note to hotel - open it earlier in the summer!
Spent some quality time in the on-site spa. It is hideously expensive, even if you buy packages, but it is a top-notch spa. The services and amenities are fantastic. There is a locker room where you are provided robes and sandals, a relaxation room, a dry sauna, a steam room, and a whirlpool. All are complimentary for the entire day of your service, as is a yoga class. During my stay I had a massage & pedicure and a 3 30-minute service package of a facial, back massage, and reflexology foot massage. All were truly fantastic! They have great professionals. It was lovely to be able to sit in the comfortable and dimly lit relaxation room before and in-between services. They also offer salon services.
I did use the on-site restaurants. Their Coffee Flats coffee shop has great coffee and bagels/muffins for breakfast and was strangely never over-crowded. They also offer sandwiches and soft drinks/beer. The barista wasn't too familiar with the sandwiches, as I asked her if there were condiments on the sandwich. She said no, but there was some kind of a relish or spread on it which I couldn't eat-that bread went in the trash. But what I did eat was good. I had dinner with vendors twice at Nellie Cashman's and the food and drinks were excellent both times. Our conference offered a cooking demonstration at Deseo. It was great entertainment to listen to the chef tell and show how they prepare the food and the food was really wonderful. I especially recommend their steak. Wish I'd had time to go back there for a full dinner. Colleagues had good things to say about the Brittlebrush bar and the Rim lobby lounge. At the Dreamweavers Canyon they have nightly bagpipe playing and a light show. Great fun!
There are grocery stores, restaurants, and shopping nearby. The hotel has a shuttle to nearby Kierland Commons where there are a lot of upscale shops.
There is a complimentary 24-hour fitness center by the spa. It is well equipped with treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, and weights. Surprisingly never over-crowded, I was always able to get the machine I wanted.
I would highly recommend this resort as a luxury get-away for adults or families. Glad our conference chose it and hope we go back there!

Room Tip: The views on the back side of the hotel over the golf course are better. Nice out the front too, bu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Please allow us to thank you, first and foremost, for your feedback and for taking the time to write us and share the details of what you have experienced during your stay. Feedback truly is a gift and we really appreciate when you take the time like this to provide such detailed comments. Sounds like you had a wonderful time while here recently for a conference and are delighted you were able to come early and experience the Resort and relax. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa when you will have plenty of time to fully take advantage of all the Resort amenities. If there is ever anything we can assist you with, please reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here for a stayacation this last weekend, to surprise my husband for Father's Day. I wish all the surprises had been better. Check in was quick and the room was nice. That was great. So many little things were unattended to that it made me weary though. We were staying with our 2 year old son. So, I'd booked a Heavenly Crib and high chair in advance when I made the reservation about a month prior. Once in the room, no high chair and no crib. It took a call to get both and a delay of an hour. And then another call because the crib did not come with a blanket, even though upon booking I was assured this was not a problem. Another half hour gone by. There were clearly two adults in our room, but one bathrobe. Yes, another call and another half hour for another bathrobe. We decided to order in. Wanted to order food from Deseo as there is no way our two year old would sit still, and we did not want to disrupt other diners. Was informed that this was not possible- food at Deseo cannot be ordered for take-away. Went down instead to a restaurant on property- the lovely cowoboy restaurant, to order two orders of fajitas. Waited a half hour outside, 8 months pregnant and in the 108 degree heat to get the fajitas. They smelled wonderful and I was willing to wait. Get them back up to our room and missing were all the accompaniments- the chips and salsa and guac and sour cream and tomatos and cheese and lettuce- basically all the condiments to go with dinner. Another call was made and we we were told that room service could not assist as my order came from the restaurant. Explained that had waited half hour in the heat, really would appreciate some help and did not have the energy to go back down again and address this. Yes, another half hour and all the condiments minus the cheese were delivered but the rest of our meal had now sat and was cold and it was just all a little less appetizing. What a waste. The next morning we ordered room service. Perhaps the most expensive room service ever- even more so than Ritz, US Grant and other high end hotels were we've stayed. The order was wrong. Cafe Mocha was missing and they had to go get it again. Omelette, which was specifically ordered as a 3 egg omelette, was an egg white omelette. Was so wearied by this point that let them know of error and asked that just the omelette charge please be taken off the bill. I was assured that it would be. I was also offered another omelette but chose to pass as was getting later in the morning. Sure enough, omelette charge was not taken off the bill at all. Wanted to book a cabana at the Adventure Pool but they were all full. My own fault I supposed for not booking in advance (called the morning of the start of our stay to request) but what a bummer. More so of a bummer because finding available lounge chairs was like a fruitless treasure hunt. The (Adventure) pool area was, no better word for it- GROSS- trash everywhere, straws and wrappers and other refuse all over kids beach pool area (lovely choking hazard), cups in, on and around the lazy river, trash bins overflowing and servers seemed not to be available- literally had to flag them down to try to order some food for my son as well as drinks for us. All these requests and annoyances made our stay much less enjoyable and frankly just rose to the level of wearisome on what was supposed to be a relaxing getaway. We typically staycation at the JW Marriott at Desert Ridge and while I sought out the Westin this time because I had heard from others that the service was great and very family-friendly, I am not sure I will ever be back because of all the negatives we encountered. What was a nice vacation, could have been a whole heck of a lot better with just some attention to orders, better service and frankly a cleaner environment trying to at least make a better impression on guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jennifer,
Please allow us to thank you, first and foremost, for your feedback and for taking the time to write us and share the details of what you have experienced during your stay. We take all guest communication very seriously and greatly appreciate receiving detailed comments such as yours so that management is aware, our staff is informed, and we may resolve any and all issues as soon as possible. On behalf of The Westin Kierland, we sincerely apologize for the frustrations that you experienced with what was supposed to be a nice surprise for Father’s Day. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with the appropriate parties and executive management. If you could please email your reservation details to tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com we can look into this further and a member of the management team will directly follow up with you. We hope you will give us a second chance to show you just how wonderful a getaway to The Westin Kierland can be and do not want this to be the impression you have of the Resort. Again, we thank you for your detailed comments which assist us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service, and you can expect a direct response from resort management regarding your comments very soon.
Nokomis, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We actually own a week at this resort, and this was the first time we actually stayed at this resort, we have always exchanged. When checking in, we asked if there was the possibility of upgrading to the larger one bedroom suite, as this is always a given when you are an owner. The smaller one bedroom, is pretty much a dungeon. The room is so dark, the only window/patio door was in the bedroom. The patio deck was pretty much non-existent as there was room for the two chairs and that is about it. The girl at the check-in said, yes there is a larger one bedroom available, but that it would be an extra $50/night to upgrade. So much for being an actual "owner" at this resort. I know there were larger rooms available, just not to us though. Location of the resort is nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Riverton, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was here on a conference and thoroughly enjoyed this property. Nice layout, plenty of bars and dining, and excellent service. I needed buttons sewed on my jacket and the concierge had someone there in 3 hours. I was very pleased and would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Glen,
We really appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay and provide some feedback. Sounds like you had a successful conference and are delighted you found the service to be excellent. Hopefully we have the pleasure to host you again, when on vacation of course so you can fully take advantage of all the wonderful Resort amenities.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Went to Scottsdale last weekend for 3 days of golf and fun. This was my second trip to the Westin Kierlands. The hotel is great. It is centrally located to many great golf courses and right next door the Kierland Commons shopping center. The staff was outstanding and the rooms were clean. We had a golf course view on the 5th floor. The pool area is awesome, especially the lazy river (perfect for relaxing after golf). The breakfast buffet is very good, they make omelette's to your order and have a great variety of other foods. It's only a short drive away from downtown Scottsdale as well. I recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering a visit to the Valley of the Sun.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay from May and sounds like you had a wonderful golf getaway. We really appreciate you coming back to The Westin Kierland for a second time and being able to fully relax and take advantage of everything we have to offer in addition to golf. Hopefully we have the pleasure of hosting you again, maybe to even try out the FlowRider next time?

New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Came to the resort for a convention. A really nice and friendly place to stay. Good food at the buffets for the convention--a rarity. They have a really cool light show each night on the building. Amazing! They have an "adult" pool area during the day, that is really nice. I'm definitely coming back here for a vacation some day!!

• Stayed June 2013
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Conrad,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of the wonderful resort amenities despite being here for a convention. We appreciate your feedback about our PaintScaping 3-D light show. It is held every evening through early July at 8:00, 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30 and a great way to relax with a cocktail and dinner in Dreamweaver’s Canyon at sunset. We hope you have an opportunity to come back and stay with us again for a vacation when you can completely take advantage of everything the Resort has to offer. If there is anything we can assist you with, please reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Can't wait to go back! Relaxing and beautifully designed hotel. Extremely impressed by the chefs and the cuisine they produce at lunch. This is top class delicious cuisine with a beautiful and refined presentation on the plate and I'm sure most professionals would agree. Breakfast has everything you could want and more. *However, they do need to improve their coffee!* Upgraded room was very beautiful. The concierge was a very friendly and interesting woman to chat with. Golf course right outside.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay last August. We appreciate the feedback and glad you felt the cuisine was top-class. Your comments have been passed along to our culinary team. We are sorry you felt the coffee needed to improve but happy to let you know that we serve Starbucks products throughout the Resort, including single-serve coffee makers in each guest room. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you and your friends again and if there is anything we can assist you with, please reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!