“Serene” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa

You added The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6902 East Greenway Parkway, Scottsdale, AZ 85254 (Paradise Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #20 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Brooklyn, NY
“Serene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just cam back from a beautiful 4 night weekend at the Westin. I had to wrestle for a while if it gets a 4 star or a 5 star. Ultimately I gave it a 5 star because the complaint that I will list at the bottom, should not detract from the beautiful time I had.

First the setting is beautiful. Right on their golf course, with beautiful views of what I think was the Mcdowell mountains in the background. A few different fire pits with plenty of seating around each one, and plenty of outdoor space to walk or run. It is a tremendous facility, with lots to do. I did not have my children with me, but there seemed to be lots to do for children. However, with that being said, there was still plenty of space for adults to enjoy and not feel overpowered by the children. A few different pools including a lazy river with tubes, which I happened to take a quick dip in even though the weather was in the 50's. It was great!!

The room was very nice, with a small fridge and a nice balcony overlooking the golf course. Bed was very comfortable. I had an armorer in the room with the TV inside of it. It seemed from looking into the room of my friend staying in the hotel that my room was a bit larger then his, with an additional sink and countertop in the bedroom. I was staying on the 4th floor, he was staying on the first.

The staff was extremely courteous, very helpful, and very friendly. I wish I would remember the name of the staff who checked me in. I passed by him a few times over the vacation, and each time he addressed me by my name. Very impressed.

As I mentioned there was one complaint I had. The noise from the outside seemed worse then I have experienced in any other hotel. The room was able to be connected to another room on each side, so could be that added to the noise, but it was pretty annoying. I spent an early morning trying not to listen to the phone conversation of the person on my left, and a late night trying to close my ears from the right side screaming for a half hour about some teddy bear, until his room mate told him to keep it down.

All in all, this was a great property, a beautiful hotel, and I would definitely stay there again. But next time I would mention the room noise and see if there is anything they can do about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review from your stay in December and glad you were able to enjoy the serene beauty that Scottsdale and the surrounding area provides. Despite the unseasonable weather we experienced, sounds like you had a great time and were able to take advantage of everything the resort offers.

We would love to have you back and as you saw, there are tons of FUN activities for the whole family to participate in if you bring your kids. We absolutely could accommodate your request to not be placed in a connecting room.

Communications Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for. Staff works hard to please. Spa had best massage I ever had in my life. Concierges service unparalleled.

Food at 2 restaurants disappointingly at American level of quality. That is to say medocre. For that amount of money I expect perfection.

• Stayed January 2013
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a Starwood Select member, and having stayed at a number of Westin hotels in the past, I opted to stay at the Westin Kierlands Resort and Spa for a few days after a visit to northern Arizona in early October, 2012. In almost every respect I was more than happy with my experience. While the hotel complex is extremely large, and possibly a bit intimidating from the outside, the general quality of the facility and the services offered and the extreme friendliness of the staff more than relieved any initial qualms that I might have had. When that is added to the hotel's proximity to the shopping and dining experiences offered by the Kierland Commons and to the galleries and museums of both Scottsdale and Phoenix, it adds up to a very rewarding travel experience indeed.

Room Tip: From what I was able to see, the rooms overlooking the golf course on the north side of the hotel mi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Bill,

Thank you for selecting the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa to relax at after your trip to Northern Arizona in October and glad to hear you were more than happy with your experience. You are correct in that it is a very large property but glad you felt comfortable and were able to take advantage of amenities at the resort as well as surrounding area. It certainly sounds as though you had a successful and renewing visit. Thank you for being a valued Starwood Preferred Guest. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

At check-in there were a few hiccups, that could easily be avoided if the agent gave more attention to the notes in the reservation. And even before this my wife and I had to say hello and ask how he was doing before any acknowledgement was given to us.

The rooms were average, we had a nice balcony that overlooked a main courtyard and partial mountain view. But little did we know the hotel had a holiday light show that played every half hour from 6pm till 9 or 10 pm which was very frustrating when you could feel the feel the music in your room, yes we could feel the vibrations it was so loud. It would of been helpful to know this at check-in, and it wasn't like it was a one night show we found an ad in the lobby and it had been going on for a week or so.

I would come back to the property when back in AZ to try it one more time. I would just hope the front desk staff could be more inviting and not rush you in and out. Valet and the restaurant had great friendly staff that remembered you from the day before!

• Stayed January 2013
WestinKierland, Communications Department at The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We appreciate your feedback regarding the check-in experience and can assure you it will be passed on to our management team. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and are very sorry that was not the case with your recent stay. Moving forward, we will make sure all of our guests are fully aware of the holiday 3-D light show at check-in and know exactly what to expect from it. We truly hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future and enable us the opportunity to offer you a delightful Kierland stay.

Communications Department
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my daughter on our trip from the UK to the USA. It's a terrific property with lots of activities on offer - we'd both have liked to have stayed longer.

If you like more intimate places to stay then this probably isn't the place for you. It's a huge complex catering for tourists, corporates and private parties (e.g. weddings) all at the same time. It was very busy and not particularly personal.

However, all the staff were extremely attentive and friendly. I loved that on their name badges it said something about each person which was a great idea to start a conversation with them about - like their favourite sport team pr hobby.

The rooms were lovely and ours looked out over the pool area.

There were lots of children's activities. We loved being taught how to make Smores in the evening and the American children thought it was strange we'd never had them before and took great delight in teaching us how to make and eat them.

On the first day we hired a cabanna at the pool. I probably wouldn't do this again as my daughter was never out of the water and the attendants serving drinks and food were just as attentive to guests on the sunloungers. It was out of season and not too busy though.

The children get a passbook and have to go round the complex completing challenges and activities. In return they get a stamp in the passbook which they can then exchange for lots of pin badges. It helped me work my way round the resort and my daughter loved the challenges and pin badges!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experience that you and your daughter enjoyed at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa. Sounds like you two took full advantage of everything our FUN team provides and now your daughter can show her friends at home how to make s’mores! The scavenger hunt is a great way for both adults and children to make their way around the resort and experience everything that we offer as well as learn a little history in the meantime. We love to hear all the highlights of your stay, and will be sure to share your positive feedback with our management teams.

We hope that you will choose to stay at The Westin Kierland again and we'll look forward to welcoming you back to Scottsdale!

Show Low, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I are Westin platinum members and decided to book a weekend stay at this resort. Since we brought our dog the hotel was not able to give us a room in the platinum reserved floor. This was understandable but when we attempted to use the lounge the card would not work. It took 2 trips to the front desk until someone admitted that perhaps the cards were not keyed correctly and to get a replacement. More egregious was the fact that the night manager called us on our cell phone @ 12:30 am to tell us that a complaint had been received about our dog barking. We advised him that we were in the room all evening with our dog, were asleep since 9PM and our dog did not bark. His response, "it had to be you since you were our only guests with a registered dog and security verified that it came from your room." We promptly packed our bags. The minute we stepped outside we could hear dog/s barking and without much effort traced the source to another room down the hall. When confronting the manager with this information he did not apologize but said, "so you're calling me a liar". I was shocked. We left the hotel at 1AM to find another hotel. The incident was report to another level of management the next morning. Their response, an "I'm sorry." Obviously this hotel places little value on their guests. Do not stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinKierland, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are all very upset to read your review regarding your recent stay with us. Although we have not yet heard from our associates involved the reasoning for their action, I wanted to personally reach out to you and apologize for your experience. It is absolutely not up to the standard of service we normally pride ourselves on providing each and every one of our guests. I'm shocked to hear that you left the Resort feeling the way you did. I hope you can accept our sincere apology and we hope you will allow us to win back your business someday soon.

Stephanie Dowling
Director of Public Relations
tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I went to Scottsdale, for a relaxing spa weekend. We decided on the Westin Kierland. It was a wonderful resort. The staff was very nice. We checked in and I was not satisfied with our view, they had no problem changing our room to a better (view) location.
We went to the Agave spa, we had 2 treatments one each day. They were wonderful.
Our room was 8037 it faced the golf course, if you are on the 1-5 floors the view is obstructed by trees, or other architectural features. The pool view rooms are un-obstructed.
Our room was a deluxe double. My only complaint is the housekeeping- only the bedding. We had housekeeping come 2 out of the 3 days. The first night we found a blood spot on one of the sheets. After the room was serviced, I found coffee stains on my sheets and comforters- so that was gross. The bathrooms, and rooms were very clean.
There is complementary robe; I don’t know why there was only one. In room fridge, mini bar, safe.
The balcony was small, but worked for sitting and enjoying the view.
Parking was free, even though the website says there is a charge, Valet is complementary also.
We did not get a chance to go to the pool, it rained all weekend, but we did walk around and wished we could sit out by the pool. There is also a really cool wave pool, for wakeboarding or surfing. Very cool for the kids. Lots of activities also for the family. I will go back.
Room service was good, we had breakfast. It was above average room service quality. And of course the heavenly beds are wonderful.

Room Tip: 8037 Direct view of golf course
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
WestinKierland, Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear you had a nice stay at our property. Thank you for the feedback regarding our bedding. That's very unusual for us as we have very strict protocols in place to ensure our rooms and soft goods are serviced to the highest level of cleanliness standards. We appreciate your input so we can continue to work to be the best we can be at all times.

Thank you again for the feedback!
Housekeeping Manager

Been to The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!