“Lovely Hotel, Great People” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #25 of 79 hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vacaville, California
“Lovely Hotel, Great People”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard Salt River for four nights when we were in Scottsdale for a wedding. The hotel is beautiful, with a lovely pool and a good restaurant for breakfast. I would have given it five stars, except that it took a long time to have our room made up. The first day it wasn't made up until almost 4:00 pm. The next day we specifically requested that it be made up earlier, and it was. The staff was very accomodating, and they have a shuttle that will take you within 3 miles of the hotel (which is enough to get to the bus stop if you need to go further, or to the Wal-Mart for the item I forgot).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
St Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend wedding in early November that was going to be at the Hotel Valley Ho. We chose this hotel over the wedding one because it was $75 less expensive, new/modern, had comfortable beds and the great reviews on Tripadvisor.

We also rented a car so we could drive to downtown Scottsdale (10-15 min drive) and visit other sites like the Frank Llyod Wright's home the Taliesin West (10-15 min drive) . The hotel is easy access to the main highway, but not really in walking distance to any "tourist" sites.

Our room was on the 3rd floor away from the elevator.
The room had everything I needed. It had an iron/ironing board, hair dryer, microwave, small fridge (enough for left overs from a night at a restaurant and a couple water bottles), soft bed, fluffy pillows, HDTV, couch, coffee table, free wifi. There was also nice closet to hang clothes. The A/C was already on when we arrived to our room. It worked quickly that I actually turned it off because I was a little cold.

I called for toothpaste, and someone from the front desk came right up (within minutes) with 3 small packets of colgate.

The hotel was pretty calm and quiet during our stay and each night had a great night's sleep.
The noise I can hear, would be the doors of other guest rooms opening and closing, or some light footsteps or toilet flushing from above or from an adjacent room, but nothing that bothered me. The door locks are actually pretty sturdy, but we did notice one day when our door closed, it didn't entirely lock shut. So make sure you check that your door locks fully by pulling it shut towards you when you leave your room.

Other amenities include the ice machine by the elevator, office computers and printers in the main lobby, huge TVs with comfortable seating, TVs displaying the time and weather forecasts.
They also had a small snack center section where you can buy refrigerated tv dinners, ice cream, candy and everyday toiletries. The bistro was not busy, but we did try a basket of fries and enjoyed it.

In the morning we used the Fitness Center on the 1st floor by the elevator. You just need the room key for access. It has 4 Life Fitness treadmills with TVs, a few elliptical machines, and free weights. They provide fresh towels and complimentary disposable headphones for you to keep (nice touch), if you wanted to watch TV from your treadmill.

The hotel is not walking distance to much, but there is a Walmart across the street if you need to grab any essentials or snacks (lower priced items than what the hotel sells).

Overall, had a wonderful stay. Service was great, rooms were clean, and had everything I needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Switzerland, Fla.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the first time I am giving an excellent review to a "chain type hotel", that is not the Ritz, St. Regis, or Four Seasons. I usually reserve an excellent rating only for a stay that is an absolute delight in everyway, including being unique.

This "chain" hotel "fits the bill" for being wonderful. It is new and in a great location. We arrived in Phoenix two weeks ago, late afternoon, and were not picking up our rental car until the next day. The Courtyard arranged for a Limo Service to meet us at the airport, at a cost less than a taxi would have been. We were promptly picked up, and had a delightful ride to the hotel

Check-in was quick and efficient. Our room was large, clean, and modern. It had every amenity you could ask for-microwave, mini-fridge, safe, ironing board, WIFI hook-up, large desk, comfy couch and bed, soft sheets, and efficient AC.The AC did cycle on & off, but we were so tired we only woke up a few times, and our room was nice and cool. Even though this hotel is "right on" a major highway, we did not hear any traffic while sleeping. We had a nice view of a nearby mountain, and the hotel courtyard with swimming pool below.

After unpacking we went to the lobby area and were "wowed"! There were large sitting areas with couches of different shapes and sizes in several sections, which was great for visiting with friends or groups on business. Two computers/printers were located on a large desk area which faced one side of the lobby. They also had two large printers for boarding passes, etc.. There were tables and chairs, couches, and "U-shaped" booths next to the large front windows. Each booth had a flat screen TV mounted on a dividing wall. On the far side of the lobby was a small deli style restaurant, and a full bar. How great to be able to get a Martini in the evening, and a Starbucks coffee in the morning, without leaving the property! On the wall next to the front desks was an interactive map of the area. The entire space was beautifully decorated, and had terrazzo flooring that started at the front door and continued out to the pool. It looked like a river flowing throughout the property, and was representavie of two Indian tribes coming together.

Since we didn't have a rental car, we thought we'd have to take a taxi to a restaurant, but "lo and behold" this hotel has a large van, which takes guests anywhere they need to go within a 3 mile radius. Yea! We chose to go to Old Town. Even though we did not eat at the Mexican restaurat the front desk clerk recommended(too loud and basic), we enjoyed walking around, under a full moon, and found a small Italian restaurant for dinner. Then, we called the number on a card we were given, and within 10 minutes the hotel van was there to pick us up! This was an unexpected plus to our stay.

The courtyard/pool area was very pretty, with fountains, sitting areas, and outdoor heaters. The conference room opened out to this patio area, with a covered seating area.Lovely!

Unless you are specifically going to the Scottsdale area to play golf, go to a spa, or attend a conference, you should definitely stay at this Courtyard Marriott! It's a mini-luxury hotel, WITHOUT the luxury prices of the 5 star resorts. We loved our stay here, and I am very picky!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain/courtyard view, on an upper floor. If you don't have a car, use...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melisa G, General Manager at Courtyard Scottsdale Salt River, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hello!

It’s fabulous to hear you how much you loved your stay with us! Along with my team, I am grateful to have earned your first “excellent” rating for our type of hotel. You provided an example of nearly every amenity we offer and why our hotel is unique; I am especially grateful you posted about the Native American influence in our décor as we are honored to be the first Marriott-branded hotel to be on U.S. Tribal Land. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a lovely and detailed review. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

Warm Regards,
Melisa Gonzalez
Franklin Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel while visiting the Scottsdale area. It is a very nice hotel with modern amenities and a friendly staff. The outside courtyard with pool and hot tub are wonderful for relaxing and hanging out. There are many restaurants and stores near by the area. It is in a great location and easily accessible. The lobby is very welcoming as is the room. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Our only complaint is that the room doors shut rather loudly. We turned in early after being up from a red eye flight and were awakened several times by the neighboring rooms' door closing. We noticed that the room doors are heavy and slam loudly. This could be a problem if your neighboring room leaves or comes in late. Other than that it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay. I’m delighted to hear that you found your stay pleasant, although wish you hadn’t been disturbed by the closing doors. I have requested my Chief Engineer evaluate the closers on our guest room doors and adjust where possible. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the outside courtyard, pool and hot tub – I’m often envious when the weather is beautiful and I’m unable to take advantage myself!

Warm Regards,
Melisa Gonzalez
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I will echo what everyone else says about the look and feel of this place. Love the look and layout of the rooms and I found the bed and bedding comfortable. The wifi was fairly slow during my stay and the individual A/C units in each room are on the noisy side as they cycle on and off. The hotel sits on/near Indian land so you need to drive west of Pima Road to find convenient stores that sell alcoholic beverages (the hotel charges $6-7 for a bottle of Heineken.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Of the Marriott Courtyard hotels I've visited, this is one of the nicest I've seen. The lobby is all new with the contemporary open lobby and Market/café—a welcome refresh from the retirement home feel of older Courtyard dining areas. There's plenty of well-lit seating with TVs and power outlets throughout. Lighting throughout the lobby areas appears to be the best commercial application of LED bulbs and fixtures I've ever seen.

The rooms are nicely appointed with LG TVs that accept external inputs. The only problem I've ever experienced at this hotel is that the wrapped glasses left in the rooms for guests are poorly washed—kind of disgusting.

Room Tip: I'd recommend requesting a room with a shower for the nicest bathroom accommodations. I prefer t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very new and clean hotel. Room was immaculate. Even still smelled new! Beds and linens were comfortable. My husband complained that the bed hurt his back, a little on the firm side, but was fine for me. I always bring my own pillows so I was quite comfortable. My daughter had a softball camp she was attending at Horizon park which was just a few miles away. Talking stick casino is also just a couple miles drive. Will stay here again whenever we come up to the PHX area.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Courtyard Scottsdale Salt River? Share your experiences!