“Great blackened fish in the middle of the desert” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great blackened fish in the middle of the desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Friday night rolled around and my husband and I looked at each other and wondered where to go for dinner. I love Grassroots so that was my suggestion.

We were early dinners this Friday so we were able to sneak into one of their great booths. It is always good to make reservations here on the weekends. I hadn't had fish in a week so I ordered the blackened fish fillet which was awesome. Nice light, flakey, with a blackened crust that was spicey tasty not blisteringly hot. My sides were the swiss chard. We also had an order of grilled asparagus to split.

I was very full but ordered the yummy key lime pie to go.

Oh my husband had the same thing as I and greatly enjoyed it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great service and pleasant outdoor dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I ordered baby back ribs with shoe string fries. The full rack was very manageable to eat. Unlike ribs that you would order at a BBQ joint or cook at home, the ribs were carefully prepared so that the quantity of meat on the top and bottom of the rib was consistent. In short, there was less meat than I would expect from a full rack but they were cooked well and tasty. The shoe string fries were so deliciously cooked and seasoned that ketchup wasn't even necessary.

We had eight people in our party and we were very well attended too. Drinks were always filled and service was always given with a smile. After our meal, we ordered a couple brownies and ice cream to share and we were also generously given a slice of key lime pie! It was a nice ending to a good dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Halesworth, United Kingdom
“Fun, friendly and great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Ate here four times during my stay in Phoenix - lovely food, particularly the salads (try the Roasted Chicken Waldorf, my favourite!) Choose one of the booths if you can - comfortable and spacious. I booked to take my aunt and uncle on the last night of my stay - their first time at Grassroots, and they were very impressed. Impressive choice of beers on tap, according to my uncle! Chilled wines were lovely, and it's always pleasant to be offered iced tea or water to accompany your food. Staff are young, knowledgeable about what they are offering, and very pleasant.

Visited April 2014
Gunnison, Colorado
“Good Food - Helpful Service - Spacious Seating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were three women stopping by for lunch. We liked that fact that their menu lists 6 salad choices! We chose the Chopped salad - 2 shared the large salad & I ordered the smaller salad
( $ 7.00 ) Not all restaurants offer you the ability to be able to order 1/2 salad which is great if not having a person to share with! I asked to add the blackened Mahi Mahi to my salad & they did! The menu only stated that the salmon could be added to a salad. The grilled & blackened Mahi Mahi was done just right & the portion was so large that I was able to take 1/2 of it home! YUM! We enjoyed our meals & highly recommend this pleasant restaurant to all! The outside patio seating is quite spacious & the bar in the center of the restaurant is very large. I saw people eating the ribs & they looked wonderful, too! The only negative ( not this restaurant's fault ) was the few parking spaces available at lunch time. There are several restaurants in this area & all the parking was filled. We finally found a parking spot a fair distance away! Guess you have to go earlier or later than at noon even on a weekday! Do try it, you will return!

Fort McMurray, Canada
“Best braised short ribs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Group of ten women, enjoying a night out. Each dish was excellent, appetizer and entrees and of course drinks! Chop salad amazing! Roti rib delicious, and the braised ribs out of this world, just saying... able to be cut with a fork. Try it you won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2014