“Bait and Switch” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
San Diego, California
“Bait and Switch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We booked a 3 night stay in a 2 bedroom two bath condo, when we arrived they told us they were overbooked but sent us to a nearby hotel. We had 2 rooms at the hotel rather then the 2 bedroom condo with kitchen, living and dining space, washer/dryer and barbeque. This was not the trip we had planned.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Diamond R, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We are sorry to read that you gave us such a poor rating although we truly understand why given you had to be relocated to a comparable resort. The Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains is located in Scottsdale, and is rated four stars. Nevertheless, if you were disappointed and felt we could have done better at in ensuring the accommodations we provided you with met your family’s needs and this had a negative impact on your Scottsdale visit, we apologize. As our location is often in extremely high demand because of our fun for the whole family atmosphere, great location and unsurpassable customer service, we found ourselves at the edge of room inventory at the time of your arrival. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience and rest assured we will examine these issues in our efforts to better manage the difficulties you encountered. We hope you are willing to give us a second chance and stay at our resort in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I booked my reservation and payed at time of booking. On check-in they charged me an extra $17.99 fee for use of the facilities (pool, wi-fi, etc. This upset me but my reservation was non-refundable. After this they give me a card to go see the 'concierge', who then attempts to sell us timeshare trips.

As if this wasn't enough, the room, buildings, pool were not half as nice as the Hilton Resort we just came from down the street - which was $50 less than this dump.

In summary, poor lodgings, they don't reveal hidden fees until they have you hooked, they try to force you to listen to a sales pitch, no room service.... I'm probably missing some things, but I just got here.

Stayed July 2014
Diamond R, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your one night stay at our resort. While we truly appreciate the opportunity to be your host during your stay here, we are disappointed to read that we missed the mark on meeting your expectations. It was very concerning to read that our accommodations, and resort fee, have had a negative impact towards your stay already. By improving many aspects of the resort throughout the property and notifying our exchange and rental partners of the resort fee we charge, we are making every effort to ensure that our guests are impacted as little as possible. We consider the expense to be a minimal cost covering a long list of the most widely utilized and requested resort amenities here such as Parking, Multiple Swimming Pools, Splash Pad, Hot tub, Fitness Center (must be 14 years of age), Steam Room, Wi-Fi (complimentary for all owner weeks and member points reservations), BBQ’s, Putting Green, Playground, Local Calls, Business center computer/internet access and much more including a Guest Laundromat and many Recreational Activities in our Activities Department. Nevertheless, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership property, the offering of a vacation ownership sales presentation is a part of the check in process. While many of our guests are interested to find out more about our products (and the free gifts that are included for attending); unless you are staying on a promotional trip, you are not required to attend this presentation unless you want to. We thank you for reaching out to us and hope that you will simply be able to enjoy the remainder of your stay in the flawless manner intended.
alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

When checking in, staff treats you well.. Nothing overly pleasant nor do they go the extreme to accommodate for their clients, but at the end of the day all they want to do is have you buy their diamond package. The problem comes in after you leave the resort. Management and staffing are INCREDIBLY rude. We had a situation where my husband forgot his wallet in the safety deposit box and after phoning reception I was transferred to three different people that all promised to call back with an answer in regards to the missing wallet. House keeping manager told me that they check the rooms each day and that they would check the room we stayed in once again and give me a call back.
Two days go by and not one phone call was returned so I began to call them again. To make things even better, house keeping never even checked the safety deposit, nor did they go back and check because the next family that stayed after us had called my house and told us they had found the wallet...in the safety deposit box.... Obviously house keeping checks each room every day throughly... The family brought the wallet to the front desk. After many transfers-again, I finally break through and start talking to a manager-Don. She was extremely unprofessional and rude! She began yelling at me, acting like she was the one who forgot the wallet. I asked her simple questions such as- "How often do you come across a situation where your guests forget their wallets?" considering it was so difficult for her and her staff to locate it, "How can you tell me that house keeping checked when house keeping didn't even find the wallet... your next clients did!" or even as simple as "Once you had the wallet, why didn't you contact me?" in response she had told me that she did not have my contact information... So you mean that all the paper work that we filled out during check in where it states 'contact information' was filled out for nothing? I cannot stress enough with how nasty Don was to me. How disrespectful she was to a RCI client and how she situation was handled. All these questions were left unanswered, she continued to grow impatient with me. She started giving me attitude and asking, "Well what do you want me to do with it now?", as if that question wasn't self explanatory. I asked her to mail it out to me and without apologizing for the incredible inconvenience, all the long distance charges I now have to pay for in attempt to contact SOMEONE! Or how horrible their communication skills are. Not even a good bye was said and she hung up. AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! The resort asks you to pay $15.00 service charge EACH DAY, which would suggest this is a high end resort with proper customer service. It holds 5 stars for goodness! Which means that customer service should be superb and I expected more from this resort. It is quite disappointing and rather disgusting on how they treat customers after they leave the facility. It made us feel that all they wanted was our money and didn't care about the hospitality.

Would we book here again? Hell no. Their ignorant attitude towards us made us very cold. I would not reccomend this anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Diamond R, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for presenting an opportunity to address your concerns. We extend our sincerest apologies for the unusual service you received from one of our front desk managers and housekeeping team. Here at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, we always intend to provide unsurpassable guest service to all of our guests during every interaction. Clearly, we missed the mark on this occasion. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate department heads to address internally. Ultimately, please know that this service quandary is in no way reflective of the standards of service we strive to uphold, and we are very sorry for the impression of the resort that you have been given. We hope to follow up with you and discuss your experience further not only to gain a clearer understanding, but also to attempt to remedy the challenges you experienced and perhaps offset the difficulties you faced. We are very appreciative of your patronage, and are glad we could cover the cost of shipping to return the wallet to you. Although you indicated you mostly like would not return, we hope you reconsider allowing us the opportunity to host you again in the future as we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

This resort was one of the greatest places i have ever stayed at, where do i begin it had great service clean rooms a very nice pool and an exultant location, the location-Scottsdale provides many things for guests to enjoy from the shopping center to the car museum or evan the weather everything is spectacular not to mention the food if i was rating it i would give the villa mirage resort combined with its location and services 5 stars because what more could you ask for.

• Stayed May 2014
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My family and I spent seven wonderful days at this resort. We stayed in a one bedroom, which had absolutely everything we needed, including a washer and dryer. The room was designed with much thought, as it was spacious, offered privacy, and quiet - even with pool activities right outside our door. Although it lacks the upscale amenities of other Time Share resorts we've stayed in the past, I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Muskegon, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed here in Feb of 2014 and drove in from Michgan where the winter was the worst in 35 years. Our son lives here but works fulltime so we spent our days hiking on all of the beautiful trails all over the valley. Days were sunny and the warmest day was 75 degrees. The resort is fairly typical but the 1 bedroom was awesome. I love to cook and the kitchen was very complete for me to even do some baking. Our son came up for some meals and on w/e was able to sleep on the hide-a-bed. He is a runner/hiker so we would do this during the day, eat a home cooked meal, and watch movies at night. The grill was always busy but the meats go fast and there was never a long wait to use it. After hiking we would soak our feet in the hot tub. When I pointed out the conditiion of the tub it was cleaned that night. We requested the 3rd floor becuase that is how you stay active and healthy. This is a beautiful resort and we would stay again but it is a 35-40 minutes via freeway to our son's home. Just not a fun drive in traffic.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

2nd visit in a year. We had same room 310M on top floor, which with no elevator was not too back for us - others may disagree!

The pool area was great and easily got a sunbed during the day.

They had some great quizzes as well as water aerobics if you wanted to take part by the pool.

The only negative that was a slight issue with the hot water - we had to run the water for almost 10-15 minutes in the shower before it came warm. I don't recall that last time.

Other than that it was as good as last visit and somewhere we will return. See previous review for all details re room

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple