“Fabulous Value; terrific service!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Scottsdale Villa Mirage
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   7887 East Princess Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85255   |
Ranked #53 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Stockton california
“Fabulous Value; terrific service!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We just completed a family vacation in Scottsdale with rooms both at the Villa Mirage and the Sheraton Desert Oasis. At the last minute I decided it would be best if our youngest adult son had his own room, and since the Sheraton was booked, we decided to try out the Villa Mirage which is separated from the Sheraton by only a gate. First of all, this room was a fabulous value!!! My son had a one bedroom unit -- far more room than he really needed -- and we paid less for it than any of the rooms that we had rented at the Sheraton. The Villa Mirage is an older looking resort; its decor is definitely dated. Still, it's certainly acceptable. Best of all, though, the room was very spacious with tons of space. My son had a full kitchen, with a full size oven and fridge and lots of counter space. We even prepared one of our meals in his room simply because he had the more spacious kitchen. The pool is lovely, and while ours at the Sheraton was actually being heated (!), the pool at the Mirage was refreshingly cool. Best of all, the service at the Villa Mirage was wonderful; everyone was kind, thoughtful, and extremely helpful!!! We would definitely stay here again! And if anyone staying at the Sheraton -- like us -- happens to need a room at the last minute, the Villa Mirage is very convenient, a very short walk through the gate. My son found no difficulty at all in moving back and forth between resorts. Finally, at no time were we bothered about attending a time share demonstration. This was especially nice. In short, this is a great place to stay, particularly if you are traveling on a budget!

Room Tip: Don't settle for the studio; go for the one bedroom unit.

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at this resort. We have 2 small children and they absolutely loved to play in the 1 foot kids pool and splash pad. We made sure to take them there as much as we could. Also, the staff at this resort was so friendly and welcoming that you never felt like a bother asking questions or just walking around the resort. Our balcony walked right out onto the kids playground. Our children loved to be able to just walk onto the grass and play on the slides.
My husband and I also attended the presentation offered by the resort. I was a bit nervous leaving our little ones at the play center. We usually only leave them with family, but they loved every minute there. They did not want to leave when we picked them up. They made such cute crafts that they got to take home with them. My husband and I joked that we should try out the play center more often.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 1st floor. The second and third floors offer stairs only...no elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is nice place for the family vacation. Kids enjoyed the pool, although I think it should be bigger for the number of rooms within this resort. They organize daily activities like yoga in the pool, or bingo which is nice. The big drawback is lack of free WiFi. You can purchase one per each device, but it is about $30 per week, or $7/day. They offer different activities to purchase through the hotel, but I organized everything ahead of time; even bought some Groupon for the horseback riding.
The rooms were clean and I liked the small kitchen. Overall, it was a pleasant experience

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry if our current Wi-Fi policy proved disappointing to you. Regretfully, as a timeshare resort we are currently not able to incorporate the cost for this service in the charges as this is a decision which needs to be taken by each individual HOA board. That being said, we receive a lot of feedback in regard to Wi-Fi costs and are in discussion with our Homeowner’s Association to see if this can be covered for guests in the future. We are pleased that you appear to have had an otherwise enjoyable stay and hope to see you again!.
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in a 1 bedrm apartment this July. We arrived when it was dark and drove around for an hour trying to find it, no signs till you are on the property, not a good start. Initially our booking couldn't be found, told there wasn't one, but later found out that there were 3 couples with the same name arriving on the same day, but I'm sure they didn't all have the same first names or came from Scotland, so our apartment had been given to someone else. Anyway, the apartment was very spacious, but dated - all very beige and brown. It had a well equiped kitchen although no instructions on how anything worked, but we did work it out. Very comfortable bed!

Sadly in the day light we found that there was little natural light as the terrace faced on to the side of a building which blocked out nearly everything, so not happy with the lack of any view. Was told that all the 1 bed apartments face inwards so we were going to be disappointed anyway. Lots of calls the next day welcoming us (staff were very friendly) and invited to the consierge desk to collect our welcome pack. We usually stay in apartments in Europe and a welcome pack consists of a large bottle of water, bread, milk, butter, jam, eggs, tea & coffee and a bottle of wine already in the apartment. Here it seemed to be a small basket next to the coffee machine with a few small packet of tea, coffee, dried milk and at the desk we were given to very small botles of water - very underwhelming! Being on the ground floor was also not ideal when there was a noisy child above running up and down and jumping off furniture, a little more soundproofing would have been welcome.
We didn't use the pool but it always seemed very busy and surprised the cafe\bar closed at 7pm so you couldn't get anything to eat on site. So, not totally blown away with the place, it was a bit 'grubby', the bird droppings on our terrace wall only disappeared after a rain storm but the other stains were still there. Not quite up to the standard Diamond Resorts blurb would lead you to expect. Given a choice I don't think we'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want any kind of view anything other than the ground floor might be better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I are staying here because of its proximity to the Mayo Clinic Hospital. It appears to be converted from an apartment complex, so the building is solid but not as attractive as modern hotels. We have had a few different rooms, which have been nice and quiet at an excellent price for anywhere in metro Phoenix. The cabinets of the kitchen and bath are very clean but approximately 20-years old style (I know because I have the same cabinets in my house!).
The pool area is nice, and crowded. They do have daily activities out by the pool, like games and outdoor movies; which is nice.
I don't know how they can call it a resort, it clearly is a group of buildings surrounded by a parking lot, just like an apartment...
The location is really nice, within 3-miles in any direction you will find dozens of top restaurants and stores.
The employees are very friendly and try real hard to make sure you are enjoying your stay. They have also been persistent at trying to talk us into a "time share" or some type of "investment" presentation.

Room Tip: Stairs are narrow. Rooms are very solid so I wouldn't hesitate to get a first floor room in the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for your review – we’re really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Scottsdale Villa Mirage! We hold our team to an extremely high standard of service, and we hope they provided you with all the assistance you needed during your stay. We don’t believe that there’s a need for high-pressure sales contact at our resorts, though, and we apologize for any frustration or disruption caused to you by this.

We hope that this matter didn’t mar an otherwise enjoyable stay, and that you’ll consider us for future visits to the Phoenix area – we’d love to see you again!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We are just finishing up three days here in a 2 bedroom suite using Diamond Resort points. While not owners here we had no trouble getting a 2 bedroom. There are three of us two kids and me grandma. I knew it would be hot and it is but the pool is very cool and lovely.

From our arrival it has been excellent. Our room was not ready but Bill at the front desk suggested a great restaurant for lunch and then called when room was ready. A small glitch when keys did not work and had to return to front desk but it was handled quickly and with great apology. Even had a maintenance man meet me at room to ensure we got in

I specifically asked for 3rd floor knowing I would need to get bags upstairs. Not a big deal for me but obviously a problem for people with mobility issues.

Suite is terrific. 2 large bedrooms with baths. Walkin showers. Kids room has bed and pullout couch which has new very comfortable mattress. I have second bedroom with adjoining bath. Living room has pullout couch too although we don't need it. The place is very clean and nice furniture kitchen is large with everything you need. We only eat breakfast here but I'm sure you could cook almost anything. There is a washer and dryer. I like the room cool and the air conditioning gets it down to 65 nicely. I read that someone had trouble with thermostat but instructions are on inside of cover and very easy to use. Same thing with coffee maker.

Because we are Gold diamond owners I get free wifi and a daily paper delivered to room.

There are lots of activities at the pool including games and dive in movies. Good restaurants and movie theaters close by.

I was a little put off by some of the reviews but this was a good place to stop for a few days and it was a relatively small number
Of diamond points for what you get. I am very impressed with the customer service from all the staff and the facilities. I'm so glad we stayed here. Definitely a jewel in the desert!

• Stayed July 2013
diamondresorts, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay here at Scottsdale Villa Mirage. We were extremely pleased to read that our accommodations, activities, amenities, customer service, and location met, if not exceeded your expectations. For those who request or require (due to accessibility) a 1st floor accommodation, we suggest contacting our front desk before hand, and they will do everything in their power to assist with your request/requirement. Please be advised that while we do accept requests, we cannot guarantee them. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We hope you come visit us again the next time your travels take you to Scottsdale!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at the Village Mirage for a week with my family in July 2013, we all really enjoyed the resort.

The property is located at the Northern end of Scottsdale, about 2 miles off the 101 freeway. I was expecting to have a hard time finding it because of previous reviews, but it’s pretty straight forward. If you are coming of N. Scottsdale Road, just turn onto E. Princess, and go straight past the Fairmont and Zona hotels, past the traffic circle, E. Princess Blvd. ends at the Villa Mirage.

There are not any stores or restaurants walking distance from the resort, but a very short drive from the resort you’ll find grocery stores, Target store, Walmart, entertainment/attractions, anything you could want.

The resort consist of eight buildings, none of which are very far from the pool area. Buildings 7 & 8 are probably the farthest. The buildings are 3 floors, but there are no elevators, so if you have small children or are elderly I would request a ground unit. All of the units have been recently updated except for one building, but they are currently updating that and those units are not available for rent, so there is no chance of getting an outdated unit. There are ice machines for each building. You can park directly in front of your unit for free.

The grounds are well maintained with a desert design, not much greenery, but it looks nice. The resort has two tennis courts, a very large pool (open 8am - 10pm) with a water fall, a very large jacuzzi, a 1' toddler pool, and a small splash pad. They have a supervised kids activity center next to the pool, where the kids can play video games, ping pong, and they have craft projects that cost between $3-$10. There is also the Oasis café (open 11-7pm) which serves sandwiches, salads, pizzas, kids menus, softdrinks, beer, and cocktails. The drinks are good, and prices reasonable. They also have daily drink specials. Also in the Activity Center building are 24-hours free washer/dryers (Tide/Bounce $1 each), and a gym with cardio and weights. The Activity Center also has daily contests, on certain nights a Texas Hold’em tournament, and on certain nights movies by the pool, all for free. When you check in make sure to grab an activity schedule.

In the lobby they have a large HD television with couches, 2 computers stations and a printer, which are semi-private, a free coffee & tea area, and a DVD rental shelf. The customer service at the resort was excellent, everyone was very nice and professional.

After check-in they will direct you over to the concierge which is also the timeshare presentation representative. They will invite you to attend a presentation for a gift, they will also provide you with a very useful “vacation planner” which has a great, easy to read local map, and a list of local businesses and phone numbers. The resort is a timeshare, so they will invite you to a timeshare presentation.

We were not going to, but we ended up attending the timeshare presentation. The sales person was very nice, a little disappointed when we didn’t buy, but stayed nice. No hard sell, and the entire presentation took 90 minutes, which we were guaranteed it would not go past. They also gave us a free hot breakfast during the presentation.

The studio room was very nice, a little small for 2 adults and 2 children, but not too bad. It would be perfect for just 2 adults. The room was recently updated, and everything looked new. The room had everything you could want; a very comfortable sofa sleeper, an medium size HD televison with lots of cable channels and free HBO, but no PPV. It also has a DVD player and you can rent DVD’s in the lobby for $2 per night. There is an IPOD docking station, a safe, iron/board, and a small patio with chairs and a table. There is WIFI for a fee through AT&T, I think it was about $10 per night. The receptionist told me they are working on switching over to having that be a standard free amenity in the near future. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

The bathroom was medium sized and a traditional set-up of the sink, shower and toilet all being in the same room. There is no tub, but the shower was very large. The bathroom was nicely decorated and well maintained.

The room also had a mini-kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, electric oven, microwave, dishwasher, cooking ware and utensils, and flatware, plates, bowls, glassware for 4. Anything you would want in a kitchen is provided.

Because this resort is a timeshare condominium style, housekeeping is only once midway through your stay. I believe for a fee you can have daily housekeeping. If you need anything, just call the front desk, and they will bring it to you with no problem.

One night we wanted to have pizza for dinner. The receptionist recommended the NYPD - New York Pizza Department. The food we ordered was excellent. They deliver and the prices were very reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the mood for pizza.

I would not call this resort “Grand,” but I would call it very enjoyable and comfortable. I could see how the staff was really interested in making our vacation fun and carefree. The found the resort to be a very short drive to everything we wanted to do in the phoenix area. We loved the accommodations, the kids loved the pool, especially the pool movie nights. There was a lot to do at the resort for families with children. I would stay here again if ever in the area. I would recommend this resort to all my family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Scottsdale Villa Mirage? Share your experiences!