“Cool Place to Stay in a Hot Town” 4 of 5 stars

You added Scottsdale Villa Mirage to your Saves list
Scottsdale Villa Mirage
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   7887 East Princess Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85255   |
Ranked #48 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
“Cool Place to Stay in a Hot Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've visited the Phoenix area before, but never really stayed-in or spent much time in Scottsdale.Villa Mirage Scottsdale is owned and run by Diamond Resorts International. It was designed as a time share and we swapped a unit we own on Interval for a two-bedroom suite with a kitchen and living room. The suite we had for the week was nicely decorated and was presented to us on-time, clean and neat. The furnishings were pretty nice and in good shape. The kitchen had an oven, stove top, a full-size refrigerator, a microwave oven, a dishwasher, a blender and enough dishes, glassware and flatware for four people. This unit has two separate balconies with enough space to sit and enjoy the outdoors without even leaving the unit. One had a nice view of the interior courtyard (lots of trees in bloom and some other shrubs) - we saw a hummingbird one one morning before it got too warm. We used the resort as a great jumping off point for Sedona, Tempe, Jerome, Williams/Grand Canyon, etc. in addition to Old Town Scottsdale.

The management had the service staff put in some starter kits of dish-wash liquid, dishwasher detergent, tissues, etc. It's a nicety, but some timeshares don't provide these niceties and you have to hit the supermarket the moment you arrive. It was pleasant to have the starters so we put off shopping until day two.

The resort itself has a pool, a hot tub, BBQ grills, tennis courts, an activity and a workout center. There seemed to be a young child activity center within the activity center. There's a small restaurant on the premises but we didn't partake - we ate out or brought food in and cooked while we were there. They had one maid service while we were there in the middle of the week - most time shares charge even for a single maid service - it was nice that they provided it for free. The staff we interfaced with were all very friendly and helpful, just what you want.

There were a couple of thing to note that we thought they could improve. The resort is a bit hard to find off the main streets, but workable (even my GPS got lost) - I had to break down and ask someone at a nearby resort for directions - then no problem. Secondly, the lobby in the resort was so noisy when we checked-in that it was hard to hear the person who was checking me in - they could use some sound-quieting rugs or other tapestries on the walls to kill the noise level. One of the three TVs in our unit was a nice new digital set with great picture and sound, the other two need an upgrade - older sets that the resort should swap out for newer ones. I was a little ticked that the resort has no free wi-fi, you had to sign-up with AT&T and they charged $30 per computer for the week - a bit much and just an annoyance, like when hotels used to charge for phone service. Also, my wife longed for a clock in the bedroom - I agree that it's nice to open your eyes at night and be able to see the time if you want.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay - two couples with enough privacy in the two bedroom unit so we weren't in each others' spaces and some common areas where we could eat together when we had meals there or hang out, etc. I understand that they also rent rooms if you don't own a time share and just want to rent.

Last, but not least, most timeshares want to give you their sales pitch, we usually skip it and we did this time also. If you don't like high pressure sales, I'd recommend skipping the pitch - no matter what they offer you (free hotel stays, free meals, etc - skip it all).

This resort is on my recommended list.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

There is just so much I enjoyed at this hotel/resort.
1. The swimming pool was clean and heated to 90 degrees;
2. The fitness center is more than adequate with free weights, cycles, treadmills and weight machines;
3. The tennis courts are very well kept;
4. The free coffee in the lobby is the best coffee I've ever had. It's made by Douwe-Egbert, served in fine restaurants and hotels.
5. The staff, whether in the lobby or grounds staff are very courteous and friendly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
diamondresorts, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for deciding to share the impressions you have following your recent stay at our resort. We are really glad that we have met your expectations with regards to the facilities available on site and our team's professional and friendly performance has even exceeded them! We trust we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future!
Saskatchewan, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Our group checked in late one night and the staff were very efficient and friendly. We hauled our bags up to the top floor (there were no elevators) only to enter a disappointing, dated and smoky room. The front desk were very considerate and put us into an updated room with a nice view. The beds were comfy, the location was great and the room had an awesome full sized fridge. The resort also had many flaws..the shower took a long time to heat up and the balconies didn't have dividers between them; sometimes strangers would walk through our balcony to get to their rooms. Also, there were no street lights on the entry road so the resort is hard to find. The pool at the resort is small and the water is cloudy but the restaurant is nice. The worst part of our stay was when we went to our car one morning and discovered someone had thrown food on it. We had to pick off a dozen cupcakes from our roof, windshield and tires. Overall, the view and location made up for the less than adequate resort...we do not plan on returning.

• Stayed April 2013
La Center, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We got a deal on staying here and for the price we paid I think it was a good choice. But I don't think it warrants the four stars that is given in trip advisor. it is a good three star place to stay. The hotel is old and the decor look like they're from the 90s. It was clean though and our two bedroom unit was very spacious.

They have a nice pool with a really fun kids area with splash pad. A couple days it was hard to get chairs by the pool.

The location is great! They had fun activities for the kids. This is a good place for families.

• Stayed March 2013
diamondresorts, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, we are pleased that you had a good stay here with us and we hope that the refurbishment program we are currently undergoing will address the negative issues mentioned in your review, we hope that you will pay us another visit in the future!
San Juan Capistrano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

In terms of accommodations and staff would recommend. Nice pool, two tennis courts, basketball court, steam room, sauna and small workout room. Rooms comfortable and outdoor grills well maintained. Safe and somewhat secluded walking/jogging areas. Spent nine days and found staff very friendly and accommodating at all times.

Only negative is the sales presentations. Front desk hostesses very friendly and the sales agents by and large were informative, however, system designed to keep you there and managers very rude, arrogant and unprofessional. As an owner, this seems to be a consistent trend the past few years with Diamond Resorts. Integrity is not a word one would use in describing this group. Once out their clutches the resort is very enjoyable!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reno,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We arrived at Scottsdale Villa Mirage November 17 after a wonderful flight on Southwest Airlines to Phoenix through LAX. Our daughter and 3 grandsons from Las Vegas met us at the airport and
drove us to the resort.

The resort has Studio, One Bedroom and Two Bedroom Timeshare units fully equipped with all the amenities of home. Activities at the resort abound for both adults and children. Water aerobics directed by Lynn are provided on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and are worthwhile for limbering up for the many golf courses available for play.

Activities away from the resort abound varying from A Historic Railroad Park Museum and Model Railroad Layout to a wonderful Zoo, Frank Lloyd Wright Talisman West and a beautiful Botanic Garden. Sixteen major league baseball teams congregate in the Phoenix area for spring training from early February through late March.

So much to do and not enough time to do it all in one week. Well, we will have to return and try to see everything we missed on this trip.

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the pool, recreational facilities, office and snack bar so distance is not a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was growing desperate for a place for my kids to go to Scottsdale for Spring Break where I could get 2 bedrooms. I was about to sign into the Kierland and take one room with style and ambience, but I got an e-mail from a Jim Gioiosa highlighting Scottsdale Villa Mirage 2 bedroom. I called him on it and the price was reasonable. I was a little nervous as a lot of the reviews from TripAdvisor was less than first class. Then Jim messed up the confirmation by booking a 2 bedroom for 2 nights and a one bedroom for one night (this confirmation just never felt right). I asked for a 2 bedroom for 3 nights. He said it would be taken care of on Monday. I called on Wednesday saying I needed to know. I was then sent a confirmation that had 2 nights, but had the dates right. OK, well, I was somewhat concerned now, but I had little recourse as they asked Jim wanted my credit card information on the first night and I never knew about any cancellation policies or if the confirmation was non refundable. I finally received the final confirmation with smily faces and an apology for the typo. OK, OK, I wasn;t feeling great, but the reviews were getting better as the facility had gone through some major renovations. In one of the last phone calls I had with Jim (he wasn't returning the last 3 calls personally,just by e-mail) I asked to be put one of the renovated rooms (no confirmation of that either). In his last e-mail Jim listed some very general things to do in Scottsdale, but nothing specific. Now, I had also read that there was a tour that the concierge was going to ask to give you a tour and presentation. I had only my 2 young kids with me and was not going to give into to that.
Well, we drive 7 hours. Location is great off of Scottsdale and 101 nestled in a secluded, quiet area that is a little hard to find. So, now it is 4:00p to check in. We are checked in with no pulse form the person behind the counter. The lobby is small with the cheap light stucco that really isn't stucco. They then turn me over to the concierge. Here's the windup and the pitch. The discussion started with getting into the Diamond Resort time share program and having 4 nights for the price of $50 a night (pen had crossed out the $149 a night for effect). The concierge kept to her pitch until I found my "out". She asked where the Mrs Daly was. I mentioned she was somewhere with my other daughter. Mickis was sorry to inform me that I couldn't take the 90 minute tour unless my spouse was with me. I mentioned that's OK, because there was no way I was going on any kind of tour anyway. I then received the "prize" from the concierge...a purple Diamond resort bag with 2 bottle's of water. Because my kids were so darn cute I got 2 bags!
Well, I was beginning to be deflated over a bad choice for a room...until I got to the room. The room was building 8, room 242. THis was not one of the refurbished room's. Furniture was cheap and light. The carpet was so worn that there were several bubbles coming up from the lack of adhesion. Room's were good size with an old TV in he 2 bedrooms and a flatscreen (I don't think it was HD) in the main room. Kitchen was small, but workable. Though it was older I thought we could do this and then I saw it. I put my stuff in the larger bedroom which had a couch and a small table. As I walked to the sliding glass door I saw 2 spots and had a strong feeling as to what they were. I took a picture and walked back to the lobby. I asked if they allowed pets and they said no. I then said that some wild animal must have infiltrated my room, left their mark and someone made a poor attempt to clean it up. I showed them the picture and they dispatch someone out to clean it. There was also toothpaste (post tooth brushing) lying in the sink. They did not clean that up. The next day the head inspector verified that the two spots were left by a dog and blamed the front desk for not ensuring that dogs didn't get in...and yet this was the inspector. The sofa in the living room we called the monster because the springs were so bad that it swallowed anyone who dared sit on it. The front desk laughed at this when I brought it to their attention.
The pool is small and cheap, but it is the pool rules that are most entertaining. There is a rule for people with incontinence and how they must wear their tight rubber suits to swim. The great majority of people there were over 65. This was definitely a place that caters to seniors. Good luck trying to use the pool between 10 and 11 am MWF as the seniors take over the whole pool with water aerobics.

Bed and fold out were unsleepable (what thread count is sandpaper?)
No housekeeping for a stay of 3 days.
Ping pong table has cheap plastic balls.
Good side: food and alcohol are poolside and inexpensive. Great location to most everything. Quiet. Pool was not crowded at all. Quiet sleeping. Activity people try their best to keep things moving and upbeat.

Room Tip: Get a refurbished and upgraded room. Call the front desk to make sure you are not in building 8, 2...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Scottsdale Villa Mirage? Share your experiences!