“Ya got me” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Ya got me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was growing desperate for a place for my kids to go to Scottsdale for Spring Break where I could get 2 bedrooms. I was about to sign into the Kierland and take one room with style and ambience, but I got an e-mail from a Jim Gioiosa highlighting Scottsdale Villa Mirage 2 bedroom. I called him on it and the price was reasonable. I was a little nervous as a lot of the reviews from TripAdvisor was less than first class. Then Jim messed up the confirmation by booking a 2 bedroom for 2 nights and a one bedroom for one night (this confirmation just never felt right). I asked for a 2 bedroom for 3 nights. He said it would be taken care of on Monday. I called on Wednesday saying I needed to know. I was then sent a confirmation that had 2 nights, but had the dates right. OK, well, I was somewhat concerned now, but I had little recourse as they asked Jim wanted my credit card information on the first night and I never knew about any cancellation policies or if the confirmation was non refundable. I finally received the final confirmation with smily faces and an apology for the typo. OK, OK, I wasn;t feeling great, but the reviews were getting better as the facility had gone through some major renovations. In one of the last phone calls I had with Jim (he wasn't returning the last 3 calls personally,just by e-mail) I asked to be put one of the renovated rooms (no confirmation of that either). In his last e-mail Jim listed some very general things to do in Scottsdale, but nothing specific. Now, I had also read that there was a tour that the concierge was going to ask to give you a tour and presentation. I had only my 2 young kids with me and was not going to give into to that.
Well, we drive 7 hours. Location is great off of Scottsdale and 101 nestled in a secluded, quiet area that is a little hard to find. So, now it is 4:00p to check in. We are checked in with no pulse form the person behind the counter. The lobby is small with the cheap light stucco that really isn't stucco. They then turn me over to the concierge. Here's the windup and the pitch. The discussion started with getting into the Diamond Resort time share program and having 4 nights for the price of $50 a night (pen had crossed out the $149 a night for effect). The concierge kept to her pitch until I found my "out". She asked where the Mrs Daly was. I mentioned she was somewhere with my other daughter. Mickis was sorry to inform me that I couldn't take the 90 minute tour unless my spouse was with me. I mentioned that's OK, because there was no way I was going on any kind of tour anyway. I then received the "prize" from the concierge...a purple Diamond resort bag with 2 bottle's of water. Because my kids were so darn cute I got 2 bags!
Well, I was beginning to be deflated over a bad choice for a room...until I got to the room. The room was building 8, room 242. THis was not one of the refurbished room's. Furniture was cheap and light. The carpet was so worn that there were several bubbles coming up from the lack of adhesion. Room's were good size with an old TV in he 2 bedrooms and a flatscreen (I don't think it was HD) in the main room. Kitchen was small, but workable. Though it was older I thought we could do this and then I saw it. I put my stuff in the larger bedroom which had a couch and a small table. As I walked to the sliding glass door I saw 2 spots and had a strong feeling as to what they were. I took a picture and walked back to the lobby. I asked if they allowed pets and they said no. I then said that some wild animal must have infiltrated my room, left their mark and someone made a poor attempt to clean it up. I showed them the picture and they dispatch someone out to clean it. There was also toothpaste (post tooth brushing) lying in the sink. They did not clean that up. The next day the head inspector verified that the two spots were left by a dog and blamed the front desk for not ensuring that dogs didn't get in...and yet this was the inspector. The sofa in the living room we called the monster because the springs were so bad that it swallowed anyone who dared sit on it. The front desk laughed at this when I brought it to their attention.
The pool is small and cheap, but it is the pool rules that are most entertaining. There is a rule for people with incontinence and how they must wear their tight rubber suits to swim. The great majority of people there were over 65. This was definitely a place that caters to seniors. Good luck trying to use the pool between 10 and 11 am MWF as the seniors take over the whole pool with water aerobics.

Bed and fold out were unsleepable (what thread count is sandpaper?)
No housekeeping for a stay of 3 days.
Ping pong table has cheap plastic balls.
Good side: food and alcohol are poolside and inexpensive. Great location to most everything. Quiet. Pool was not crowded at all. Quiet sleeping. Activity people try their best to keep things moving and upbeat.

Room Tip: Get a refurbished and upgraded room. Call the front desk to make sure you are not in building 8, 2...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

These rooms are mostly renovated now and they are certainly nice. If it's a couple traveling and you don't need a washer/dryer or oven then go for the studio to save $. We really like the 1 bdrm units here as they have the washer/dryer in them as well even though we don't use the oven. Always so convenient to have a kitchen that is for sure. The property was built as a resort property so it's gorgeous. The staff is super friendly and we really enjoy staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently stayed at the renovated Villa Mirage for 4 nights the week of February 10, 2013. This property was purchased by Diamond International and the upgrades from many years ago was evident. We were very pleased with our accommodations. The villa itself was really very nice. Kitchen was well equiped, living room comfortable. They bed was quite comfortable, but it seems like they could spring for a little nicer bed linens and pillows. I was glad we brought our own. They were quite lumpy. We understood from the sales person that they still are planning on upgrading the bathroom. It wasn't bad as is, nice large shower. Only caveat is you need to run the hot water for over 5 minutes to get any hot water. Okay, these were the good things, the two problems we had were 1) no wired or wireless internet in rooms or lobby. They do have a few computers for use in the lobby, but everytime I went in there were people on them and a few waiting. Perhaps I am spoiled, we own a Marriott Timeshare and we have gotten used to wired internet in the villas and wireless in all public areas. I was really wishing my ipad would have had 3g. 2) Of course we were asked to attend a sales presentation while there which we did, 90 minutes (ha) and a $75 dollar visa card (or a dinner at certain restaurants). The first sales person was very nice but it took forever for him to finally cut to the chase with prices. We politely declined, he pushed for a little while, but finally gave up and sent for the closer. He started out nice and when we kept declining, he started lowering prices, wondering what it would take to get our business. After another 15 or 20 minutes, he got up and said he would have to get someone else for us to get our gift. This man was who we had the problem with. First off, he was arrogant and rude, saying that he had to go home and let his dog out and since we probably weren't going to purchase anything he was wasting his time. He started offering us lower options and said he couldn't believe we would turn these offers down and wanted to know why. I told him we didn't feel comfortable and had no background on Diamond International. Then he really got rude. After 2 1/2 hours that was supposed to be 90 min. he finally took us into another room to get our visa card. As he walked out of the office his last flippant remark was paraphrased, "oh that's right, you don't trust our company, be careful that visa card isn't real". I wish I remembered his name. It certainly gave us a bad taste in our mouth for Diamond, which is a shame because it really was a very nice resort.

Room Tip: Third floor had a nice view of pool but beware, no elavators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Scottsdale Villa Mirage is not easy to find mostly because there is not a sign for the property until you get to it. You basically wind through the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess property to get there. The room was ok, the bed was hard and maid service was elusive. We stayed there a week and had maid service once during this time. The pool area is small and there is a cafe on the property which was ok.
It is a timeshare property so you are courted by the timeshare sales people.
We will likely stay at another location when we return.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor unit - no elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Scottsdale Villa Mirage, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review - we regret to read that you have experienced some difficulty trying to find us. We will mention this during the next management meeting and suggest additional signage to be placed in the area.
We would like to take this opportunity to advise that in order to become more eco-friendly we have decided to reduce the maid service; this allows us to decrease the usage of water, detergents and energy and lessens the potential impact we could have had on the local environment. We hope this has not marred your stay, however, and we hope to see you coming back in the future!
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed two weeks at Villa Mirage during May/June 2012.

Several in our group with different room types. Great opportunity to check out all the room options for a future stay!

*Two 2/bedroom suites: One, ground floor with private patio. The other 2nd floor with balcony.

*One studio: 2nd floor with balcony.

*One 1/bedroom suite, connecting to a studio:
This arrangement was especially nice and spacious. Studio had balcony on one side of the building, and the connecting one bedroom suite w/balcony was located on opposite side, overlooking private pool area.

Suites were complete with very nice fully equipped kitchens, dishwasher and washer/dryer, large dining areas, large living room areas with sleeper sofas.

All dish, dishwasher, laundry soaps and kitchen cleaning supplies provided and replenished immediately. All kitchen utensils were new, clean, and identical in every room. Nothing shabby.

Bath soaps, shampoos, lotions, towels for bath, pool, kitchen always replaced immediately. Fresh bed sheets, just a phone call away. Great attention to detail by amazing housekeeping staff.

Studio’s were equipped with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, blender, toaster, dishes, utensils, etc.. Just no dishwasher, washer/dryer, stove/oven. Spacious for a “studio”, including dining table area, living area with comfortable sleeper sofa along with the queen size bed and large bath.

The grounds were well kept, pools immaculate, all rooms pristine.

Last tip: We got amazing LOW rates through AmEx travel website. Front desk reservations could not match the rates and were astounded at how low they were.

Looking forward to a Thanksgiving or Christmas Holiday at this wonderful desert retreat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We recently spent two weeks her while visiting our daughter who is spending a year of her university degree at ASU. The resort was clean, comfortable and the staff were fantastic - nothing was too much trouble. The only downside ,if it is a downside is that it is slightly remote and you have to really have a car to travel anywhere. We found a trolley bus that went from a neighbouring hotel into Scottsdale which was free but it runs from Christmas to the end of March.We had a good time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just returned from a 10 day stay at the Villa Mirage, in a two bedroom unit. Very pleasant: clean, quiet, very accessible to the West World Arabian Horse Show.The full kitchen allowed my group to make our own meals saving on restaurant bills. We did not have a chance to enjoy the pool area but it looked very clean. I will definitely come back. I booked through Jim Gioiosa for a reasonable price - very straightforward. Thanks Jim.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Scottsdale Villa Mirage? Share your experiences!