“Best hidden secret!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Charleston, South Carolina
“Best hidden secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Took a group of 10 there based on trip advisor reviews. Great Italian food! Best bolognese sauce served on wide noodle. The appetizer special was delicious. The fish special wonderful...lightly breaded with lemon wine sauce over capellini. Mediterranean salad was good. Hard to please 10 people but this place did! Thank you

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Denver, Colorado, USA
“Everybody has a bad day...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I go to Scottsdale almost monthly. And eat every meal out. So I'm constantly looking for another place I haven't tried yet. Even though there are many very good restaurants in Scottsdale/Phoenix, many of which I have enjoyed. I was planning on dinner in Tucson at Michelangelo's (I've not been there but had heard good things about it) but decided to drive back to Scottsdale so I could enjoy a couple glasses of wine with dinner. And since I already had "Italian" on my mind, took a look at the TripAdvisor list for Italian restaurants. I've already been to Uncle Sal's several times and Veneto Trattoria twice (see my reviews of both). So was looking for something different. I was very surprised when I found this restaurant "at the top" of the list for Italian restaurants as I'd not been aware of them. And when seated, I asked how long they'd been open thinking they must have just opened. Imagine my surprise to hear they'd been there twenty years!

We found the restaurant (not the easiest if you're not familiar with the area) and were seated immediately by the "lady of the house". (The business is run by a family--Dad, Mom, and daughter Veronica) But, surprisingly, when she took us to the table she didn't bring along menus. And we sat there for at least five (probably more) minutes before anyone else came to the table. My dining companion asked me if we "were being treated like 2nd class customers"? If this had not been the TripAdvisor top rated Italian restaurant in town, I may very well have left then. After a bit, menus were brought. Veronica, the daughter, was our waitress. And when she was at the table, she was delightful. Unfortunately, she wasn't there often enough. Twice I had to flag down the busboy to ask that another glass of wine be brought.

Veronica did bring us "tastes" of wines we were thinking about having. And was very accommodating in the process. But the wine list is rather limited. The made-in-house bread was brought out hot and was tasty when dipped in oil. The bruschetta came out and also was good. We had just one slice each as we were eating too much bread so far.

Eventually, our entrees came. I had veal marsala. I thought it average. My guest had the eggplant dish but complained she could not "taste the eggplant". In fairness, she was probably not familiar with the Italian version of eggplant (heavy tomato based sauce).

During our meal we overheard the couple behind us (who were just finishing up dinner) rave about the cannoli. We had had too much to eat to even think about dessert.

Also during dinner, we were treated to the owner carrying on a somewhat loud conversation two tables away from us. He was at the table of what must have been regulars and the topic of conversation was about the competiveness of the restaurant business. He was complaining about all the "coupons" available in the market. I'm assuming he was talking about LivingSocial, Groupon, Amazon, and the like. Frankly, I think of those coupons as cheap advertising for the restaurant (As opposed to the cost of regular advertising that may or may not bring people in. Especially to hard to find places such as this)

I would point out that once seated, neither "Dad" nor "Mom" came by or addressed us again. Veronica was very pleasant and thanked us on our way out. But I think in a small, family run place, the "owners" should acknowledge us as well.

As the title of this review suggests, maybe it was just an off night. But given how pleased I've been at both Veneto Trattoria and Uncle Sal's (in spite of the fact they don't pour the wine for you), I doubt very much I'll give this restaurant another chance. Both are a significantly higher level dining experience (ambience, service, and quality) at not enough of a difference in price.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cary, North Carolina
“Great Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Homemade Italian food was as good as any I've had anywhere else. Had the ravioli and my wife had eggplant parm. Both where excellent. Prices reasonable.

Visited May 2014
Austin, TX
“Good lunch in an odd out if the way location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Wish I could have tried them for dinner but the power was out and we had to come back for lunch on the following day. We got pizza and hamburger for our kids. I got the pasta special with sausage, sundried tomato and artichoke hearts. It was wonderful. Had a side salad but I felt like the ranch dressing was not homemade. My hubby got the spaghetti with meat sauce which was good but not outstanding. The spumoni was phenomenal and the house chianti was great. I would Definitely go back.

Also wanted to mention, They were very nice to our children and even though it's not a "kids restaurant" they were happy to see us and talked to our kids.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

This place is a diamond in the rough! The food is excellent, all the way down to the homemade cheesecake. The owners were there and the wife waited on us. Excellent service as well! There is nothing about this place that we did not like. Can't wait to return!

Visited April 2014