“"It's an Indian Jim, but not as we know it"” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Berkshire
“"It's an Indian Jim, but not as we know it"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

It was a Saturday night and as a part-time British ex-pat, that means an Indian! So we tried this restaurant as we had enjoyed the Italian place next door. The place was empty at 7.30pm which didn't bode well.
We ordered the traditional starter of poppadums which came with 2 spicy dips, neither of which were the traditional mango chutney or raita. The poppadums were not freshly cooked which was disappointing in an empty restaurant and would never happen in an Indian place back in the UK. Then we had to pay extra for mango chutney etc.
There were very few side dishes - no onion bhajia and no Bombay aloo - although the spicy potatoes were offered in a naan bread, they declined to give them to me as a side dish although they could put them in a curry!
The main courses of chicken tikka and chicken arrived along with our cauliflower aloo. Everything was luke warm temperature wise and not particularly tasty in our opinion.
All in all, very disappointing to a Brit who is used to British Indian restaurants - it may be that if you don't know what these have to offer, then you may of course enjoy the Al Hamra, but we didn't and won't be returning

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“Indian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The food is Indian which we found out is not our favorite. You can order the level of spice (from 1 to 10); we ordered 5 and it was too spicy for us.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Above average this time.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have visited al-hamra many times before, but i never tasted extra-ordinary food. Esp this restaurant is famous for Non-Veg. This very time seems it has improved much. My spouse liked the mutton and it was amazing channa masala for me :)

Location of this restaurant is amazing as a quiet place to enjoy your meals

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Date night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've been to a few Indian restsurants here in the valley and was not impressed. We ended up in Al Hamra because of a Living Social deal. The food was excellent. We had the chicken tikka masala and garlic naan. The chicken tikka masala was full of flavor and the garlic naan was light with a crisp bottom, excellent! The service was slow, but the food was worth the wait :).

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“I really wanted to like this place, but was disappointed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

When we arrived there was no one else dining, so we were not too sure what to think. I love Indian food, so was super excited to stick around & try it out though. We sat outside on the patio which was nice. It was clean & more guests started to arrive as the evening progressed.
The service was just plain terrible. I chuckle still at how bad it really was...we had a young lady that was a "one thing at a time & I will forget half of what you say" server. It just took forever to get everything from drinks to water refills- and there were 4 total people other than us in the restaurant. Here is an example of just one instance. We did not get silverware with our appetizer & she said she would be back with it when we asked for it since she didn't notice that we did not have utensils. After a few minutes, we just went inside the restaurant & took it off of another table. When we told her that she will need to replace the silverware at the other table, she thanked us for sharing that- totally oblivious to us having to get the silverware that she forgot. She wasn't mean, but not friendly either. She was just a bad server & we will not be back because of that.
That and the fact that the food was just OK. From other TA reviews we had high hopes. My companion ordered a lamb dish on the menu hopeful it would be their best. He only ate half of it & did not like it. I had asked if they could do a combo style dish so that I could sample a bit of what they have to offer. They need something like this to be able to try a few things out as many other Indian restaurants offer. I told her that I just wanted their best vegetarian dish since they would not accommodate my request. She brought me Paneer Tikka Masala. It was just OK. As a vegetarian, I would have preferred a dish with vegetables. That was my fault for trusting a bad waitress to pick out their "best" dish for me.
It was overpriced & under delivered. I would not recommend this place & will not be returning.

• Visited October 2013