“A Scottsdale Boutique Hotel with Heart and Soul” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights and Save
Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“A Scottsdale Boutique Hotel with Heart and Soul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

A must stay if your traveling to PHX or just need a staycation. I was born and raised in the Scottsdale area but moved away almost 11 years ago. However, I have been coming back frequently to visit my parents. I have traveled the world and I feel it's safe to say that I am a spa and boutique hotel junky. I initially stayed at the Saguaro when my dad became terminally ill and was placed in a facility close by. Over the next few months, while facilitating my dads care, I would stay at the Saguaro frequently. It became my home away from home. The bright colors and imported mexican furniture had a familiarity of my childhood. Each time I came back I was greeted by the bell men with a warm smile and a sincere welcome back. The front desk, especially Devon and Aurora, made sure I was taken care of. What truly stood out though, was on the day that my father passed, the front desk arranged for not only flowers to be sent up to my room but also a signed card. This card was not the "run of the mill birthday office" card with just names. The staff wrote messages of sympathy. This incredible gesture of kindness was so encouraging at a time of such sadness. Seriously, what hotel does that? If you want all the amenities of a Scottsdale boutique hotel without the snobbery - this is your place. You can get amazing comfort food and drinks at Old Town Whiskey ( great moscow mules and taters. yes, taters) and authentic tuna ceviche, fish tacos and margaritas at Distrito. Hands down one of the best hotels in downtown that captures the soul of Scottsdale and actually has a heart. BTW The John Wayne suite is also an inspiring way to roll. My only complaint is that the spa walls should be thicker.

Room Tip: I enjoyed rooms by the small pool. It was quieter and the sound of the fountain was soothing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AKleinGM, General Manager at The Saguaro, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Natalka Z,

Thanks for spending some time sharing your feedback and your story with us. We knew that you were going through a very difficult time, and wanted to do whatever we could to make your stay just a bit more comfortable and relaxing. Thanks for pointing out the great service by the team, Devin and Aurora are true assets to us, and we will be sure to mention your comments to them.

We hope you'll come back and see us again, the John Wayne suite is calling your name!

Alan Klein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was at this property for only one night as part of a quick business trip. I had a lovely time and would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend the hotel. The location is great about 15 minutes from the airport and walking distance to Old Town Scottsdale. The check in process went smoothly and the front desk agent was wonderful.

I was in building 3 which was a little confusing to get to the first time but after that it was fine. I had a King Room and the furnishings for the most part were lovely. I enjoyed the bed and thought he TV was great. I thought they did a nice mix of “Wild West”/Native American/Nouveau and I personally liked the color scheme. Something that would have been very nice would have been some furniture on the balcony. I am from Chicago so warm weather was a treat and I had to drag my chair from inside out to enjoy my coffee in the morning.

In addition, my bathroom could have used an update. There was some type of stain/rust on faucet in the tub and I did not think that was acceptable. You can also tell they replaced the lock on the bathroom door and it was a rush job and the paint didn’t match in color. I did love their products though and really enjoyed the blood orange soap.

I thought both pool areas were lovely and I spent and enjoyable morning before my flight at one of them. I liked how they catered to both the party person and the traveler more focused on relaxation. The sun loungers were very comfortable and I didn’t want to move from them. I think that the cabanas will be lovely and I can see where they will be a great asset to the hotel. The gym was great as well and I have no complaints from that area.

I did have dinner at the hotel and have no complaints. I received a coupon for free guacamole when I checked in and it was wonderful. I would recommend the restaurant for dinner or just appetizers and drinks. I was able to sit outside and they didn’t give me any issues for being a single traveler.

Finally, I just want to compliment the front desk staff. I had the same lovely lady check me in and out. I asked for late check out and there was no issue. In addition, they were able to email me my bill as opposed to printing it out which made everything easier.

If they were to clean up the bathrooms and add furniture to their balconies this would be a 5 star review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kosvp,

So glad you were able to spend a little time here at the Saguaro and enjoy our vibrant colors and the warm sunshine. We appreciate your comments and feedback regarding the chairs for the balcony and are planning additional purchases of these for the fall. It was also disappointing to hear about the deficient bathroom, and we have asked our Engineering team to review this room and make the necessary repairs.

It was great to hear that you had a nice "little trip", but hope you'll come back soon when you have a bit more time to enjoy and relax.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last summer after purchasing a special deal that came with Sangria, two 30 minute spa sessions, and free breakfast. We had a great time and the pool is a lot of fun! It is definitely a place where the pool is a hot spot for non-hotel guests on the weekends, but the dj was fun and we really enjoyed ourselves. The rooms are nice but you can tell the hotel is older. We had a back patio, but it wasn't much to look at. Our spa services were quite nice. One of the best features of the hotel is the fantastic restaurant! We had such a nice experience and the atmosphere is really cool. We will definitely come back soon!

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room by the pool if you can, it is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mers0021,

It was so great to hear that you had a great stay with us last summer. When are you coming back??!!

We do have great packages every summer, and our Swim Social program kicked off this Memorial Day Weekend.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review, we really do appreciate the feedback.

Come back soon!

Alan

South San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a wonderfully appointed hotel with amazing decor. The use of bright colors throughout the hotel keeps you coming back for more. Delightful pool areas and very helpful staff, Made good use of the bicycles (included in the "daily" resort fee of $19); be sure to get directions to " The Greenbelt" and cycle North or South on it for relaxing green spaces / lakes. Enjoyed the Distrito bar for happy hour (great sangrias!). Daily paper in the lobby. Second floor room was comfortable and had great view of the pool / greenery. It's not really a balcony so if you want more space ask for a ground floor room with a patio. The lobby is magical. Location can't be beat for access to downtown Scottsdale and old town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Theresa222,

Great to read your recent review, and thanks for sharing some info on the Indian Bend Wash greenbelt. It truly is a great place to walk, ride a bike or just play in the grass.

It was great to hear that you liked our fun and colorful hotel and that you had some time to enjoy the food and Sangrias in Distrito.

Thanks for the great feedback and taking the time to share it.

We hope to see you again soon!!

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I were at the Saguaro last week with our two dogs and absolutely loved it. First of all, the property is very retro-cool. We had an amazing suite that was very spacious and overlooked the beautiful pool area. We had one breakfast and one dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Distrito, and both were fantastic. Possibly the best thing about the Saguaro is that all of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. There were some bad reviews on Tripadvisor about the service and I simply don't know what hotel they were staying at because ALL the people we dealt with were wonderful. The hotel is very pet friendly, but wasn't like some pet friendly hotels that either smell like dogs or heavy duty chemicals. Next time we are in Scottsdale, we will definitely stay at the Saguaro.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear SSonnen,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. As you mention, being pet-friendly doesn't have to mean "smelly", as we take great care to clean thoroughly after our 4-legged friends stay with us.

Thanks for the great comments about the staff, they really do strive to make all of our guests feel at home while they are traveling.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, and for staying with us.

Please come back again soon!

Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great small hotel with excellent restaurant backing up to old-town Scottsdale's greenbelt.
Walk to restaurants, shops, bars and close to baseball, golf and other attractions. This was one of the old, original Scottsdale "motels" from the 50's/60's which has been redecorated and updated. Nice pool/bar area plus extra smaller pool area.

Room Tip: Get and inside room by larger pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mark F,

Thanks for taking the time to review us after your recent stay. You are correct,t we were originally built as one of the first Doubletree Hotels that opened in the late 1970's. We have since been renovated and re-opened in November of 2011. Our location can't be beat and we are glad you were able to take advantage of how close we are to all the local attractions.

Thanks for staying with us, and we hope to see you around again soon.

Santa Clarita, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My year to select where we would be headed for our annual anniversary trip. I chose Scottsdale, AZ! Why so many people asked me??? it's hot!!! But it was a perfect choice!

I selected Scottsdale as we were also attending a comedy concert event at the Talking Stick Resort & Casino. We could have stayed at the casino but wanted more of a romantic atmosphere... The other local resorts were a bit expensive and far from the old town shops we wanted to visit. Well look NO more!! The Saguaro was PERFECT! The location was steps from Old town and from the moment we arrived at the Hotel, the service was top notch!

The smell of the lobby was AMAZING! so clean & fresh! The look of the entire facility was trendy & chic. Our suite was perfect, very roomy, clean & comfortable. The cost of our entire weekend stay there was well worth every penny!

Overall, my husband was very satisfied with my selection of anniversary location and hotel! WE will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Our room was perfect. We reserved a suite overlooking the calma pool in bldg 3. With the pool part...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vivian G,

Thanks for sharing your Anniversary trip with us. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed every moment, and that our service was "Top Notch".

We would love to have you back again for the next special occasion, there lots to do here at the Saguaro and in Old Town Scottsdale.

Thanks again for staying with us.

Regards,
Alan Klein

Been to The Saguaro, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!