“Not what was paid for” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Not what was paid for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We arrived at 3pm on a Thursday hoping we could check in "early". By 4pm, our room was still not ready. We paid for a room with a view of Civic Center and since I had over an hour to hang out waiting, I walked over to the building (building 6) we were told our room would be in. I thought it looked nice. We had our dog so it was perfect to be able to go right out the patio door to let him play in the large grassy area. By about 4:10, I was frustrated and the line to check-in was growing...all other people being given their rooms. So I went to them again...frustrated. The girl chose to give us a different room at this point. A room on the 3rd floor, facing the valet/lobby parking lot, with a balcony about a foot wide. Not what we paid for, and really difficult with a dog. We also paid $14 to park our own car in a half empty parking lot. The service was not great to start, but everyone else working there seemed pretty friendly. I was still frustrated with the room quality switch-a-roo. The place looks nice and fun. The room was small but ok. The bathroom sliding door was heavy and difficult to push back and forth. For the price, we will stay somewhere else while in the Phoenix area. This is not a resort. If the prices were better...I might change my mind. Get a room in building 6, away from all the other buildings with a great little park in the backyard.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AKleinGM, General Manager at The Saguaro, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear melkc,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent visit to the Saguaro. I am sorry to hear that the room you had requested was not available when you arrived, nor a short time later. As I'm sure you can imagine, with the great weather, our wonderful location and spring training going on, it's sometimes a little difficult to have our departing guests leave in a timely fashion - because who would want to leave when they are having a good time :) But, nonetheless this leads to a bit of a backup during our peak season, especially when there is a certain building or room concerned. Again, our apologies as no "switch-a-roo" was intended, we were only trying to get you into a room as quickly as possible.

We hope to have you back again soon, so you can enjoy the park-like setting in building 6.

Best Regards,
Alan Klein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

A dated hotel-- maybe 1960's-- that's been repainted with fun, bright colors and comfy new beds. Small bathroom with 1960's sliding closet doors which were noisy and hard to manage, but bathroom is completely redone. My first room smelled strongly of air freshener, and the front desk said that all rooms smelled like that after the renovation. Luckily, they were wrong as I got transferred to a room with no smell. All rooms open to the street. Very friendly, young staff are the highlight of the hotel. Fancy restaurants. Steps to old town restaurants and shops. I liked the two pools, one is quieter which is good since noisy kids took over the bigger pool. I'll try someplace else for this kind of money next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear socali123,

It was great to hear from you and read your comments about your most recent stay with us. It is true that our hotel was built many years ago, but with the most recent renovations, most everything has been updated. As you mention, one of the nice features is the pool areas, and the fact that you can choose to be in one that has some action and fun, or one that is quiet and calm. We're glad you had a great stay, and do hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

Best Regards,
Silicon Valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and two kids stayed at The Saguaro when we visited for Spring Training. As noted by other reviewers, the hotel's location is a few minute walk to Scottdale Stadium and Old Town restaurants and shops. The hotel staff was very helpful making recommendations for food and fun in general. Our room was located very close to one of the pools which made it easy for us to use the facilities. The only issue and it was significant to us was the paper thin walls. The first night was fine but the second morning, we were awaken to music and praying next door at 6AM. The hotel underwent a renovation recently but it is already showing signs of wear. The hotel room doors are painted a variety of cheerful colors but many seems to need to be repainted. The interior of our room was okay but somewhat rundown. Over all, the hotel is uneven, wonderful location and staff but we won't return because ultimately travelers need to sleep in a clean, quiet room.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that are adjacent to the main road.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lafayette, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and I and another couple did a brief spring training trip to Scottsdale and stayed at the Saguaro. The hotel is just two blocks from the Giants' ballpark, Scottsdale Municipal. It's a short walk, but we were offered a cart ride to the park by a friendly hotel staffer. The colorful hotel is under the Joie de Vivre management and they seem to be doing an excellent job. Rooms are spacious, pools are really pleasant, and breakfast in the hotel restaurant, Distrito, was excellent.

The staff and management are friendly and accommodating. We hope to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear John V,

Thanks for sharing your comments with us. We were glad to hear you enjoyed your time here with friends and a little Spring Training baseball. I'll be sharing your comments with our team, as they love to hear from guests on what an enjoyable time they had.

We look forward to your return,

Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

PROS - The staff is young, efficient, and cheerful; the pools are nice; the gym is excellent
CONS - Old motel, with a coat of new, bright paint; rowdy and noisy crowd; cleanliness of grounds suspect

We had a decent "couples stay" in advance of a business conference at a different Scottsdale hotel. The Saguaro is very close to Old Scottsdale's restaurants and bars, but lacks the polish of equally priced hotels. 2 nights was fine, but I was ready to leave.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are probably quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LBJPortland,

Thanks for your feedback on your "Couples Stay" with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our pools and gym and that our staff took care of all your needs. I'm sorry that you felt we had a lack of "polish" and I will be sharing that with the team as we do additional training. This is certainly not the impression we want to leave our guests with, so your comments are very valuable to us as we continue to improve.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope that you will come back again the next time you are in Scottsdale.

Regards,
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The location of this motel/hotel is great as others have noted. The rooms have been redecorated but not renovated. Funky, cheerful decor. Wired for gadgets.

The "not renovated" features pretty much include everything. The AC unit kicked on and it sounded like a 747. Seriously. It made me laugh. Walls are paper thin. Tubs old. You get the picture. There are no drawers. Shelf space is available to set your things on and a closet to hang clothes.

You have your choice of noise ... street or pool. If I choose to stay here again (for the location only) I'll opt for the street. The music is way too loud by the pools. The large pool is best described as a party pool. Started in the morning and continued into the night. When I was out there people had earbuds so they were either listening to their own tunes or tuning out the pool tunes. There were older people (60+) who settled in and then left after 20 minutes shaking their heads and saying it was too loud. Unfortunately my room was poolside and I immediately asked to be moved which was no problem.

My poolside room at the Calma pool was identical and quiet. I got a bit of work done the first day. Second day the music started up. I complained and it was turned down within an hour. Went back up in the afternoon. Back and forth. I literally could not use my speaker phone on a conference call and was mortified that people I was speaking to could hear the music ... and I was INSIDE!

Also ... it appears that non-guests also have access to the pool area. From my patio I witnessed a car pull up. A dude with some camera equipment and a young women entered the pool area. The young woman sprawled out on a cabana in a bikini as the guy snapped away. Straps came down but she remained covered ... sort of. After a half hour they simply got in their car and left. Seriously.

Service is inconsistent. My room was cleaned on some days and not others. I ordered a continental breakfast with a mixed basket, fruit, coffee and juice. I got a big pot of coffee and two croissants. What?

Food at Distrito was great. Friends and I chose to eat there three out of the five nights I was there. service was spotty but the food and cocktails were amazing.

Room Tip: Your choice of road noise or loud pool music. Be prepared.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Alta Loma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I just got back from staying in this colorful oasis for 5 nights . From the time we arrived we were greeted by friendy staff. The valet parking staff was extremly friendly and accommodating to us.A special thanks to Barney and Clint for making sure we got parking close to our rooms. The hotel is fortunate to have these two young men working there.
The rooms are colorful and comfortable. The pool area reminds you of being on a caribbean island. Very warm and the colors give you a happy feeling.
The hotel has the best location ,which is within walking distance to old town ,several restaurants right on the grounds of the civic center.
We are artists and were there to do a show right by the hotel which made it very convenient for us.
Thank you to all the staff who made our stay very comfortable.
Daniela and Garret Came

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Saguaro, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!