“Hilton quality continues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale to your Saves list
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #33 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Lubbock, Texas
“Hilton quality continues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stopped over in Scottsdale and booked one night here. Resort property well maintained and colorful. Bryan helped us with our luggage. I was looking for our room when Greg, head of housekeeping and Nevena, housekeeping supervisor directed me to our room. Greg even carried my bag. Everyone here on staff exemplified competence, professionalism, and friendliness. Am sorry we were just here for the one night. Did I mention the delicious chocolate chip cookies and bottle water on check in? The water was useful yesterday as the terms moved into the mid 90s. I even got a cookie on checkout.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for being with us and for this very positive review of your experience at our resort. It is a shame that you could only spend one night with us but all the more reason to come back again soon. There is just so much to explore and do, in the resort as well as the immediate area around us. We do hope that you will be able to return soon and for a longer period to fully enjoy what we have to offer.

991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent one night at this resort using HHilton Honors points. I would say that it is nicer than your typical DoubleTree. We had a pool side room with a king-size bed. I was struck how spacious the room was. I found the bed and pillows to be extremely comfortable. I thought the property was clean and well maintained. The temperatures were on the cool side so the pool area was relatively deserted. The north pool was closed for a private event ... but, again, no desire to swim with the cool temps. There was a conference going on so the lobby bar was was overrun with conference attendees. The walk to Old Town for dinner was quick and easy (15 minute walk) ... and we could have used the shuttle option if we wanted, but prefer to walk. Concierge was helpful in planning where to take in a spring training game. If I ever go back to Scottsdale, I will definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: We were pool side ... overlooking the south pool. There was a kids playground just outside our patio...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting our resort for your visit and for this very positive review of your stay. We do hope that you will return to enjoy our area and, when you do, that you will give us another opportunity to be of service. With the way that winter is going this year further East, you may want to return again sooner than later and be able to use the pools and other amenities that you did not use this trip. We are having consistent sunny days with temperatures in the 80's now and are willing to share it with others to beat the bitter winter blues.
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for a quick weekend business trip. Unfortunately the weather was very poor so I didn't have a chance to use the pool and other outdoor activity areas that were laid out on the map of the property.
The Doubletree is a large complex. Depending on where your room is, be prepared to walk a long way.
The rooms are dated, could use some fresh upgrades. The heating and cooling system in my room was extremely loud. I had to it off before going to sleep. It was either a nice warm room or not get any sleep because of the ventilation system.. However the room was relatively clean. The carpets were in need of replacing as well as the curtains. The majority of the walkways are outside, which can create havoc if you are trying to get to and from your room in a desert rainstorm.
Meals at En Fuego, the hotel restauarant, were good.
The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. We are so sorry that your trip coincided with our unusual rainy days. We are pleased that, despite this, you enjoyed your time with us overall, your meals in our restaurant and the service and attitude provided by our staff. We will follow up and address the issues you experienced with the heating and cooling system in your room. For that we apologize. We know how important it is to a good night sleep. We do hope that we will see you again on your next trip to our area.
Newnan, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Overall, we were pleased with our 4 night stay here.
With the exception of one instance, we didn't encounter anything other than exceptional attitude, willingness to accomodate, and supreme 'we're here for the guest' mentality from every staff member.
Our room was spacious, the bedding was just fine,the little patio overlooking the pool was absolutely perfect, but it was screaming to be updated.
A couple of things:
-I totally resent the fact the fridge was for the mini bar leaving no room for guests to use for their
personal items. Not to mention it was locked down tighter than Ft.Knox, complete with some sort of string banding the handles of the cabinet together, on top of requiring a key. I have a dietary restriction with milk, and would've appreciated being able to keep Almond milk cold in my room somewhere.
-The room fixtures, the molding, the BATHROOM were all seriously outdated for the nightly price. I judge bathroom cleanliness on whether or not I feel safe taking a bath in the tub at a hotel. The staff should spend extra time on this theory. There should not be black mold on the underside of soap dishes, or built up scum on the shower head, and I should not have to get my own clorox wipes out to attempt to clean faucets, surfaces, handles & door/cabinet knobs. Other than this, housekeeping did a great job in keeping us with an abundance of clean linens, were super polite & personable, and our bedding was totally neat, tidy, crisp & clean each day. Very comfy!
-The shuttle service left me for hours stranded near the mall, despite me following hotel protocol of giving the 15-20 minute window before pickup, and calling the hotel multiple times during my wait to see if I was getting a ride. I finally had to get my husband off the golf course to pick me up. The kicker was alerting the front desk to what had occurred, with the intent of saving others from the same fate, to which I was haughtily replied to, 'sorry, there was heavy traffic', like it was my own fault I had to make alternate arrangements. That was the ONLY negative interaction I had with any staff. The rest of the time, top notch, golden stars.
The food was good, we were pleased! A little pricey, but happy overall. Thoroughly enjoyed my daily breakfast experience in the restaurant.
The bottom line is, there were 3 minor issues, the rooms need some updating, but overall we really enjoyed ourselves here. Super close to Old Town, the Mall, lots of nice restaurants & neat shopping, and We would visit again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for being with us and for this overall positive review of your stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, your room, the food and service provided by our staff. At the same time, I would like to apologize for the three noted issues you experienced. I have reviewed your comments with my management team for their follow up with the staff involved so that they are addressed and not reoccurring. We do hope that we will see you back again when your travels bring you back to our area.
saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was our first trip to the Scottsdale area and the DoubleTree made our trip pleasurable.Our initial room was way in the back north forty of the hotel (didn't like it) .We requested a move by the pool and they obliged. The room was perfect and made our stay enjoyable.Thanks to Luis at the front desk.
The doormen were friendly and a wealth of info on the surrounding area... hats of to Drew and Jay.Hotel Shuttle service was handy for short trips .Avis Car rental on site also was a added bonus and Jeff that ran the business was great.
Onsite restaurant was ok ,morning buffet the best .
Pool was adequate for lounging around.
Hotel is older.. but well kept up .Close to Old Scottsdale ,Camel back Mountain,Fashion Sq Mall and nearby restaurants.
Talked to other patrons and some of the have been coming here for years.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for selecting our resort and for this positive review of your stay. We appreciate your compliments of specific staff and will pass your comments onto them with proper recognition. We do hope that we will see you again soon and that you will become one of the many guests that we see and take care of year after year each winter.
salt lake city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just spent a few nights at the DoubleTree in Scottsdale and I was a little disappointed. Good location, great friendly staff but the beds were uncomfortable as well as the pillows. I was told that all the beds were new and I think they forgot to replace ours.
It rained while we were there and the 2nd floor, no elevator to be seen so we had to carry our bags up, plus the 2nd floor isn't covered so until you get in your room, you get wet if it is raining. The rooms are nice and large but the bathroom is very small. They could have made the bathrooms much larger instead of having a huge foyer.Nice pools and tennis/basketball courts. Not sure if I would stay there again, too many other nice places in Scottsdale.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. We appreciate your compliments of our location and friendly staff but apologize for the issues you experienced while here. We did get new beds for all our guest rooms just last year and usually receive compliments on our "Sweet Dreams" bedding package. We've sent word out to look for a room that may have been missed or the bed damaged so we can address it. We do have three elevators on property and apologize that front desk or bellmen did not make you aware of their locations. As much of our resort is open to the weather (usually sun and warmth), they also should have assisted more in getting you to your room dry in the rainstorm. These have been addressed with appropriate staff. We do hope that by addressing these issues we can earn back your business on your next visit to our area.
Piedmont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Although the DoubleTree claims a 4 diamond rating from AAA, it looks like they may be living on past glory not revisited recently. Yes, the rooms are large and that's nice when you stay for 4 days, as we did. But that doesn't justify the sky-high rates, especially given the obvious lack of deep maintenance and other shortcomings. I'll talk about the maintenance in a minute but first I'll share my biggest gripe - the $10 a day fee for wi-fi. This is outrageous in these times when Internet access is part of daily life, especially when the guest is already paying $260 a night for the room. It would be like charging an extra fee to use the bathroom (which takes a lot more maintenance than a wireless router). I can go to the Holiday Inn, pay $100 a night and get wireless thrown in for free. The $10 wi-fi fee is pure profit for Hilton - averaged out I pay $2 and change for wi-fi at home in a high-priced area and I don't have the negotiating clout on price Hilton must have for their Internet connection.

Another, less annoying but symbolic example of Hilton's poor attention to the guest experience was our request for a package deal offered on their web site for a $100 meal credit on 4 day stays like ours. The woman at the desk said they didn't have it available but that we were still welcome to spend $100 of our own money in their restaurants if we wanted. We decided right there not to spend any meal money in their over-priced restaurants and found some very nice places to eat in and around Old Scottsdale.

Maintenance - here are a few of the things we experienced:
Dead electrical outlet for one of the lamps.
Unemptied trash can by the desk.
A door that had to be pushed open because the lock would stick about half the time.
Local flooding from one of the mechanical towers that we spotted one night while walking the grounds.
We reported all these items but clearly Hilton would rather pocket the high room rates than spend money to keep up what looks like a tired resort property that saw its best days some years ago.

Finally, a note about their pools. There are two of them, though the larger one was closed for a private party at least one night. Both of them, and especially the smaller one at the south end, are small, shallow, irregular and really unsuited to any sort of sustained swimming - not what the guest expects at a "resort property."

Based on this experience, and the fact that many newer, less expensive hotels offer large rooms, wi-fi and sometimes breakfast, I could not see staying at a DoubleTree again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with an enclosed patio. Ours was on a patch of lawn by the parking lot wit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback of your stay at our resort. I deeply apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. We just recently upgraded our internet access to wireless at higher bandwidth at considerable expense and moved to tiered pricing based upon one's internet needs, per brand standards. However, you are correct that such charges are becoming rarer and it will not be long before I see this standard changing to complimentary in the future. I am sorry that our "Taste of Paradise" package was not available during your visit. It is very popular and a great value but is restricted during peak times of the year. I have also followed up with my Directors of Engineering and Housekeeping on the other issues you experienced and they are addressing them. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to do better and to try to make amends on a future visit.

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale? Share your experiences!