“Wonderful location and great value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale

You added DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale to your Saves list
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5401 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85250   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Saint Paul
“Wonderful location and great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Very nice room with comfortable king bed, and lovely plant filled grounds. Great location to old town and complimentary transport to and from fashion mall and Old Town. Nice large pool. Very accommodating staff. Great value.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for being with us and for this wonderful, great review of our resort and staff. Further point of clarification, we have two large pools, one at each end of the resort. For further privacy, our Presidential Suite features its own small private pool and sauna, great for a couple or small family to enjoy. We hope to see you again on your next visit to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I read recent reviews and was quite worried about this property. Don't understand the fuss?? I did not expect the Hyatt Gainey Ranch or the four seasons for $111/night in season. I got more then I expected. Nice common area, well kept grounds, clean and updated rooms. Very helpful staff as well.

The property is expansive and a bit confusing. Got lost going to room. I suggest parking by your room until you figure things out.

It was too cold for the pool so I have nothing to review there other then the pools and grounds looked nice.

Location is in the heart of Scottsdale and right next to old Scottsdale. You can't beat the location.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for selecting our resort and for this great review of the property, grounds, amenities and service provided by our staff. We do hope that you will have an opportunity to return again to use our pools and other amenities under warmer conditions, although the pools are heated and feel great even if the outside temperatures are a little cooler.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July 2012 expecting to have a great time. Well it was totally the opposite. As it is, it was July and extremely hot with little kids who were irritable. On check in, they didn't give us our cookie and I called for it in the room twice and they said they would send it. It never arrived. We picked it up when we had dinner later that day. I would have expected the exterior of this place to be more upscale. It is really run down. There was a mini fridge semi blocking our room entrance that appeared to look broken. I had to call twice to have someone come remove it from our front door. The room was nice big and roomy. Very comfortable. We were happy to have a view of the pool. We had dinner on the premises restaurant. It was yummy and our waiter was wonderful. So wonderful that he was the highlight of our stay. We headed back to catch some sleep. Well that's when it all started. I was woken up at 11:45pm by screaming kids and teenagers that were in the swimming pool. I was so angry that they would allow this behavior past curfew pool hours. I called the front desk to learn that they already had several calls and that they were told to get out of the pool. Where is security???? I let them know that was unacceptable. Finally 20 minutes later they were kicked out. I was furious and tired. The next morning I let them know I was really disappointed about my stay and that I expected much more from an upscale chain hotel. The staff is ignorant and doesn't seem to care about what the guests think. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not sleep next to pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for being our guest back in July and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. I apologize for the issues you experienced and have reviewed your comments with my resort management team. They will follow up with the appropriate departments and team members to address those specific issues mentioned. Such issues should be noticed and addressed prior to negatively impacting your stay and should not take multiple calls before action is taken. I am pleased that you enjoyed your guest room, pool view as well as the food and service provided you at dinner. We do hope that you will give us another future opportunity to show you that these issues have been addressed, that this is the exception rather than the rule and that we are better than this.
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Not a 4 star, but a solid 3.5 star. We purchased the trip through Hotwire, so for what we paid, it's very good value for the $. The hotel is walking distance to Scottsdale downtown, Fashion Square, and not too far of a drive to many outdoor destinations (golf course, hiking in the local hills/mountains). The property itself is clean. Nice pools and pretty good gym (trust me - I use the gym in every hotel I stayed. This one is above the average). To my surprise (good surprise), the hotel room has a fridge, a coffee maker and a microwave oven. Well equipped. I would have given it a better rating, but I am not happy with the wireless internet access. To get free internet, you have to go to the lobby or outside the restaurant to access it. Not very nice at all..... otherwise, no complaint.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for being with us and for this positive review of your stay at our resort. We appreciate you compliments about the location, cleanliness, amenities and the service provided by our staff. We are in the final stages of upgrading our guest room internet access to wireless at higher bandwidth. Although, as is the case with the full service Hilton brands, we will still be charging for this service but it will change to different options at various price points depending upon the individual guest needs. We hope to see you again on your next trip to our area.
Brookline, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

While I feel that a previous reviewer's comparison to Motel 6 is a far-fetched exaggeration, this Doubletree is not a 4-star resort in my opinion. I've stayed at other 4-star resorts in the area (Westin Kierland, Hyatt Gainey Ranch, etc), and you simply cannot put this place in the same category as those other places. And you shouldn't, because the prices are lower here with no resort fees. The main problem with this place is the poor housekeeping, and the fact that the property is showing age and they haven't done enough to keep things up. This place is more like a typical Holiday Inn, but only with nicer bed, towels and toiletries. In our 4 nights of stay, the housekeeping never showed up one day (until I called at 4pm), didn't bring in hand towels another day, and not once replaced our glasses. The shower curtain had brown stains on it, the showerhead had mildews, and the carpet was clearly not vacuumed well. The room is large and does look freshened up for the most part, but there are also many remnants of "oldness" such as old toilet, ancient-looking bathroom power plugs with dust built up, lack of WiFi, loud bathroom fan, and a beaten-up desk chair that had a hole on the side. There were room service trays and champagne glasses thrown out on the lawn throughout the property... I think it's pretty disrespectful of guests to leave crap lying outside, but I saw the same empty pizza box and the same champagne glass lying out for 3 straight days, and ultimately it reflects poorly on the staff to ignore these things for such a long time. I suspect that there are housekeeping challenges in a sprawled-out property with outside-access rooms. But it is a problem nonetheless.

On the plus sides, this hotel has friendly staff and nice pleasant grounds. The daily walk from the room through the courtyard past the landscaped areas to the restaurant was pleasant. The room was spacious. The hotel's location puts you within a few-minute drive to downtown Scottsdale, Camelback Mtn, McCormick Railroad Park, and tons of shopping/dining; 10-15min drive from the Kierland / Scottsdale Quarter area. The gym was pretty nice.

There are two medium-size pools that are on opposite ends of the property. If you're looking for a resort with extensive pool scene for a splash'n fun weekend, you really won't get it here. The breakfast buffet was okay... I shouldn't complain because our buffet was included as part of a package deal. The selection was decent, although the biggest drawbacks were no omelette station and the poor quality of baked items.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for selecting our resort for your stay and this valuable feedback of your experience. I apologize for the housekeeping issues in your guest room and throughout the grounds. I have discussed these issues with housekeeping as well as our grounds crew so that they can address. Although there are times, especially on New Year's Eve, when there can be a lot to clean up, you are very correct that it is vital how quickly it can be addressed by staff so that our guests are not negatively impacted. We also appreciate your many compliments of staff and our resort and do hope that you will return again soon so that we can show you some of what you experienced is the exception rather than the rule.
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We arrived during a rare Arizona winter rain storm and left early the next morning, so we didn't have an opportunity to really explore the property, but we did get lost trying to find our room in the dark and rain (although the front desk did offer to give us a ride to our room). The room was very big, nice, clean, and comfortable. Was a little disappointed because this non-smoking room still smelled like smoke and the toilet kept running all night. There was also a light bulb burned out in the bathroom, so the it was rather difficult to put on the makeup in the morning. We LOVED the warm chocolate chip cookies they gave us when we arrived.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. We appreciate your compliments of your guest room cleanliness and comfort as well as our famous chocolate chip cookies. I apologize for the maintenance issues you noted and have addressed it with our maintenance and housekeeping teams. Besides being responsible for cleanliness, housekeeping must put a room with such maintenance issues out of order until until they have been addressed. We are glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us and we hope that you will be able to return again soon to explore and enjoy all the amenities of our resort.
Sedona, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This could be a great hotel/resort...but it isn't. We stayed two nights and were disappointed in a few things. On the plus side, the facility is conveniently located in Scottsdale, and the rooms are quite large with a microwave and refrigerator. Also, geat window shades kept the temperature nice and the room dark. However, there were amenities missing (no breakfast, no in-room wireless, for example), and maintenance needs to be improved. Although the grounds are lovely and the lobby nice, the remote and one of the telephones in the room didn't work, and the bathroom sink drained v-e-r-y slowly. After the first night, the room key didn't work, necessitating a long walk at midnight to the front desk to get another key. I wouldn't stay here again. There are too many other good places in Scottsdale that take better care of their rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. I apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced in your guest room. I have reviewed these items with my maintenance and housekeeping staff and they will be addressed, not only the issues but the fact that the room attendant should have noticed these issues and not put the room back into the inventory for sale until they had been addressed. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show that we have addressed these issues and that we are better than this.

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale? Share your experiences!