“Nice hotel in great location but lacking some basics” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale

You added DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale to your Saves list
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5401 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85250   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Oro Valley, Arizona, United States
“Nice hotel in great location but lacking some basics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a very good location in the heart of Scottsdale. The Arizona design reminds of the Biltmore but the hotel and some quirks in service remind you otherwise. Comfortable room but when I checked in and asked for a king bed on my Hotwire reservation, I got abruptly cut off with a definite no. My theory is if you sell a room through an alternate channel you should expect people to ask for a change. Also only got one cookie which is strange since the other dozen or so Doubletree stays got 2 cookies. Pretty property with nice gardens and nice restaurant service. One oddity is the lack of wifi in the rooms.The wifi in the lobby is free but hispeed is still wired in the rooms.
Lobby is in the middle of a renewal which looks good but makes for some noise and paint and carpet smell. Excellent parking and nice pool areas.
Hotel is close to shopping and restaurants of all types. Old Town Scottsdale is also close. Nothing in walking distance but a quick 5 minute drive.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room, the property and the food and service in our restaurant. I apologize for the issues you experienced. The front desk did not handle your request for a change in rooms very well at all. There are times when an upgrade or certain room type is not available but it should have been properly and politely explained. If available, upgrades and the fees associated with those upgrades should be offered even if not asked for. We should also be providing a cookie for all those in a room and additional upon guest request. This has been addressed with staff. Additionally, we are in the process of installing wireless HSIA in all our guest rooms which should be completed in the coming months. Again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope we will see you again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked this room on Priceline and got a great deal. We are from Chandler, AZ and my boyfriend and I decided to have a staycation and this is the hotel Priceline gave us. The front desk person who helped us was very nice. I asked to have a King bed instead of the 2 Queens and she politely informed me that there was a $10 upgrade fee, which I was okay with. She then handed me 2 cookies to welcome me to the hotel (that was a nice surprise) So overall, I would give check in a 9.5 as there were no problems and I didn't feel like I was treated any differently because I had used Priceline.

Our room was very close to the front of the hotel so the parking was terrible. I had a feeling that if we left to dinner or out for the evening that by the time we arrived back, every single parking spot remotely close to our room would be taken and I was right. I ended up parking on the opposite side of the front of the hotel (near valet) and had to walk a little ways back to the room.

The rooms were really cute. I loved the rustic looking ceilings with the wood. There was a little dressing area with a full length mirror that was really nice. I felt like our room was very quiet, as we did not hear a soul up above us or next to us. There is a nice little wet bar and a mini fridge but you can't use the fridge unless you request access to it at check in...and then I think there is a charge for access (which I am pretty sure they mentioned there were cocktails inside of the fridge). The bathroom was nice and clean. The only thing I thought was weird about this room is the way the front door opened to the room, it came very close to the wall as you came in and you had very little room to squeeze through, it was very awkward the way it was set up.

My favorite part of this hotel was that awesome pool! Salt water, HUGE, and warm...like bath water. We were swimming at 11:30 at night and it was beautiful. I could have done without all the little kiddies and their blowup toys though. Pool closes at midnight. We also used the jacuzzi. For some reason it was really dirty on the bottom of the jacuzzi. I couldn't see it, but I could feel it with my feet...I was a bit grossed out by the dirt and muck on the bottom.

In the morning we ate at the buffet. It was really good. A bit pricey at 15.95 a person but it had a lot to choose from. The home fries were fabulous and yummy! They also had a "make your own waffle" maker. I had asked our waiter how long they serve breakfast till and he said that it varies on how busy they were, so that was nice that they didn't have a "shut down" time, and kept it going as long as there were people who were still coming in for breakfast.

Overall we had a really nice stay. The hotel is older, but there is something about it that was very comfortable. I didn't feel like it was a snobby Scottsdale hotel. They are definitely doing some construction somewhere around the grounds as the south end looked like it was all construction workers and materials laying around. Near our room someone had stacked about 6 hide a bed sofas and left them out overnight, which I thought was funny cause in Arizona in the summer, you never know when a monsoon is gonna hit in the middle of the night.

So the big plus is the pool area and the minus is the parking...thanks for the stay!

Room Tip: Ask for something on the East side of the hotel, more parking for sure! If you stay near the front e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thanks for being with us for your staycation and for this positive review of our resort and staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed your guest room, our pools and the service provided by our staff. I apologize about the parking issue but I would highly recommend that guests take advantage of our complimentary valet services, which not only ensure a great parking space but we can also shuttle you to the front door of your room. As another reviewer mentioned this same issue, I will follow up with staff to ensure that we better communicate this great amenity. We do hope that you will come back to stay with us again sometime soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree Resort hotel in Paradise Valley, Arizona in mid September 2012 at the end of a long international trip. The hotel is located on Scottsdale Road on the north side of town near Olde Town Scottsdale and the Scottsdale Fashion Mall in a mostly residential area. The complex itself is very large and spread out, there are 2 pools open until midnight, 2 tennis courts, a basketball court, spa, etc. with plenty of free parking. The hotel is 2 floors with only an exterior entrance to each room and an incredible maze of twisting and turning hallways.

The room I had, on the ground floor, was large with a very comfortable bed and nice linen whose layout indicated an older room that has been remodeled. The bedroom was interesting as mine included a desk, chair, wet bar, easy chair, LG TV with HBO, blackout curtains that really worked, beamed ceiling and a sliding glass door leading onto the patio and salt water pool.

The bathroom, as has been mentioned by other reviewers, was small and the floor very cold.

Wi-Fi was available in certain public areas of the hotel and there was an Ethernet cable in the room at the desk.

My only complaint would have to do with noise. I could easily hear the occupants of the room above mine walking around, doors slamming, toilets flushing, etc. from adjacent rooms. The air conditioning, which is used heavily in Arizona in the summer, was also very noisy.

This hotel has been in Scottsdale for a long time. Management has continued to make necessary upgrades and so this is a good, safe choice if needing a place to stay when in the Valley of the Sun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. Our location in the heart of Scottsdale and our many activity options on property - swimming, exercise, racketball, basketball, tennis and practicing your putting skills - are what many of our guests enjoy. We are pleased that your enjoyed your guest room and their many recent upgrades and renovations. We will have high speed wireless in all our guest rooms in a couple short months as well. I apologize that you experienced noises in and around your room and we will follow up with engineering to address those items. We do hope that you will return again to Scottsdale and our resort from Flagstaff for a quick weekend staycation in the near future.
Thousand Oaks, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

First, this hotel is very easy to find with its location on Scottsdale Rd. The hotel is located next to descent restaurants and shopping. I stayed at this resort on a recent business trip and it was alright. The employees were all friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms were large, but lacked a refrigerator or microwave. The layout of the hotel was very awkward and reminded me of a prison with concrete double story rooms. There is very poor lighting so bring a flashlight at night. The grounds were well kept but there are minimal ice dispensers and one vending machine on the property, so if you’re in an outlying room be prepared to walk. Parking in a commodity at this hotel so if you get back late you may have to park far from your room and walk in. Also be advised, the room service is atrocious so you’ll probably want to dine off the property. What makes this hotel so appealing is the price. I paid $45 for two days, which is better than motel 6. Overall, it’s a descent resort but next time I’ll look for something a little more upscale.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight and your own snacks
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for selecting our resort for your stay and for this feedback on your experience. The exterior of our resort has a unique Arizona flair influenced by the great Frank Lloyd Wright. We are pleased that your enjoyed your room and the service provided by our staff. All our guest rooms have minibars, which offer a full array of beverages and snacks. We also offer complimentary valet parking and can shuttle you right to your guest room door. I apologize for whatever happened with your room service. I would appreciate any further details but have passed on your general comments to our Director of Food & Beverage Outlets. We do hope you will return to our area again and, when you do, that you will give us another opportunity to service you better.
County Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Date of our visit: 13th & 14th September 2012. As a stop-over on a Cosmos Western Wonders Coach Tour.
Although one could see that this property was a little 'mature' it was nevertheless a good choice for our itinerary.
Cleanliness & Service were the key features for this Resort Hotel. All of the staff were trained to provide that little bit extra. The rooms were well proportioned, functional and clean, large bedroom with ample space (for 2 of us) a good sized bath/shower . TV plus tea & coffee making facilities (and ... Double Tree’s own complimentary signature biscuits/cookies). The dining room/bar staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The grounds, were peaceful and immaculately kept, with some wonderful cactus specimens (within their speciality cactus garden). Two swimming pools with plenty of sun beds (if you could take the 34 deg. plus heat).

Food: Although our tour deal was on a room only basis, Doubletree offered a breakfast deal. For 20 Dollars, two of us chose from a vast American Buffet, cold, hot and in-between. Drinks, fresh fruits, yoghurts, cereals, breads, bacon, eggs, sausage, flapjacks et al. Excellent value. On the first night we had a simple bar meal. On our second night we didn’t use the evening restaurant facilities, since we’d pre-booked a night out at ‘Rustlers Roost’ a nearby Cowboy theme eatery and ‘entertainment’ venue (I use that term advisedly). I wouldn’t sign up for that again!

Double Tree must have been one of the best hotels on our tour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you and your tour group for being with us and for this complimentary review of our resort and staff. We are pleased that all went well throughout your stay. We do hope that you can return to our area again soon, whether on tour or not, to spend more time enjoying our resort's many amenities or to discover all the great shopping, attractions, activities, restaurants and night life available in our Scottsdale neighborhood.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on 24th and 25th September 2012 as a group of 5 adults on fly drive on west coast. Only stayed in Scottsdale as we were flying out of Phoenix Sky harbour airport early Wednesday morning. This is a good resort and is located about 15min drive away from the airport. The resort is big with two pools and has large grounds which include a tennis and basketball court.the staff were friendly and helpful right from check in. The rooms were large, spacious and clean. Our rooms were both double queen rooms on the ground floor both having balcony/patio areas. We only used one of the two pools (the north pool) which is large and well maintained. There is no wifi in the rooms but you can get it at the pool in some spots and in the bar and lobby which is right beside the pool. The food at the bar is excellent - we had lunch both days. The pizzas are particularly good and are big enough to share. We also ate in the restaurant on our last night as leaving early the next morning and it was good also.( I would recommend eating in old town Scottsdale - lots of choice and looked to be some really nice places). Checked out early in the morning with no hassels.

Only one NEGATIVE and is up to you to decide how much you need to read into it. Our room door did not lock - we only found out the morning of our 2nd day ( don't how long it had not been working for as did not notice as the doors are card operated and so inserted the card and waited for the green light before trying the door). When the engineer arrived he told us to go and forget about it and he would have it fixed by the time we came back ( I was a little hesitant as we had all are valuables passports etc in the room but had plans to go into town). Left the room in his capable hands. On return 2/3hours later tried the door and it was still open. I was not impressed. Rang up again and engineer came again - this time the complete lock was replaced. Was at the pool in the afternoon so had all my essentials valuables with me.
This problem was a mechanical one with the lock and no fault of the staff ( the engineer was very apologetic and arranged for a basket of fruit and iced tea to be deliver to the room).I just felt it was quite lucky as our room was probably unlocked for good amount of our stay and had everything in it.

Overall - This is a nice resort with good facilities. Staff were friendly and helpful and Scottsdale, especially the old town was very nice lots of shops restaurants and bars.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for being with us and for this excellent review of your stay. Thank you for the great descriptions and compliments of our resort and staff. I apologize for the issue with your guest room lock and have passed your feedback onto our team for follow up. The lock should have been noticed and addressed with full replacement before it became an issue. All our guest rooms also have safes in the closet and we offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk for valuables. No matter where you stay, I would alway utilize these safety measures to secure valuables when you are away from your room.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Although this Resort hotel may not be the best in Scottsdale in that it's not a 5 Star hotel, it certainly makes up for this with the beautifully kept gardens which surround both pools and are interspaced between many of the guest rooms within the complex.
The cactus garden is worth a visit and you can spend a good half hour walking thru the resort looking at the huge variety of flowering plants.
These of course, attract wildlife, so there's always a vast range of birds.

I would recommend being here at the end of June. We stayed for a couple of nights at the beginning of June when the weather was good, but the pools were quite cold.
When we returned at the end of June, the pools were so warm that you could swim at 10pm and the water was like taking a bath!

The outdoor eating area is good and service is excellent.The waiters/waitresses go out of their way to be helpful.
The selection for breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: Book On-line for the best prices! The complex is large, so I suggest you ask for a room near to the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting our resort, not once but twice, and for this very positive review of our property and the service provided by our staff. Thank you for your compliments of our massive courtyard and cactus gardens, a hit with many of our guests. We also appreciate and will pass on your compliments of our restaurant staff and food. Our two large pools are heated year round, except when the heat of summer takes over and we have to circulate the water to keep it cool enough. I don't know why the pools were too cold earlier in June but we will pass this information onto our engineering department. We hope to see you back in our area and at our resort again.

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale? Share your experiences!