“Generic Anglo-Mexican, Poor attitude” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Papi Chulo's

Papi Chulo's
5101 N scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85250 (South Scottsdale)
480-543-1043
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #316 of 1,023 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: South Scottsdale
Tucson
“Generic Anglo-Mexican, Poor attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Recently tried Papi Chulo's in Scottsdale. It's located in the Clarion hotel, so that should be a clue as to its quality.
Pretty much from the get-go it was a big disappointment. The hostess was clueless, but I've come to expect that in most restaurants these days. Restaurant was 90% empty when we arrived at 6pm on a Friday night (another clue that it is not great!), and she sat us at a table right next to the hallway where the kitchen door & bathrooms are - in other words, at a table where we were constantly getting bumped into by servers and bar staff entering/exiting the kitchen. Nice.
Chips & salsa were served but the chips were the cheapest, most flavorless chunks of processed crap I've ever had. No exaggeration - they were like pieces of cardboard painted bright yellow.
Our party ordered a variety of items - enchiladas, tacos, "special" arrechura steak, kids meals. It was all pretty bland and mediocre. The arrechura had some promise, but just barely.
One order came out wrong and when my wife brought it to the server's attention he challenged her. She very kindly repeated that she had ordered the tacos and he again responded "those are enchiladas". She said it again, and he huffed away and got his manager who then did the same thing! Finally he offered to get her the tacos, but with a whole lot of attitude. And it came back out of the kitchen so fast that it is obvious they just emptied the contents of the enchilada into some taco shells. Very tacky and the attitude was horrible.
Overall, a big disappointment. You can get much better mexican/SW food pretty much anywhere, for a lot less trouble.
And, considering how many people we saw come in, sit at the bar, and then leave after one drink on a Friday night, I think the bar scene is probably pretty bad, too. My bet is this place doesn't survive another 6 months.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Todos Santos, Mexico
“Wished it had been better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

It has a great location, but the food wasn't very good. The tastes were bland - and I had so hoped that it would be delicious. The staff is nice.

Visited December 2011
Austin, Texas
“Scottsdale Mexican Food Hot Spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

Papi Chulo's, 5101 N. Scottsdale Road has a great margarita variety - perfect when we visited on a 108 degree day. Happy Hour prices of $4 on the house margarita made us forget the heat. Blanco enchiladas, street tacos, and killer gaucamole completed made this a real treat. Be sure to ask for Jason and have him bring the smoked chipotle salsa. It's medium and adds great flavor. If you want a mix of sports bar and great Mexican food, don't miss Papi Chulo's.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bend, OR
“Had better all the way around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Walked in hoping that this is where I could get some good Southwest Mexican food. Disappointed by the blah salsa and then became disgusted after finding a long nasty hair hanging from my chip after dipping it in the salsa. When I asked how much it was to add a salad to my lunch the waiter said he didn't know. He just stood there and looked at me until I found the price in the menu. Food was okay. Rice had peas and carrots in it and and the meat had a funny taste to it. I sat waiting for a refill on my drink for more than 5 minutes. I finally had to ask for one. (My waiter was standing at the bar talking with bartender and another person rather than checking on his customers). When I got the bill I was overcharged for that salad that I had to look up myself by a dollar. On the upside, the restaurant looked clean and was nicely situated. However, this isn't enough to make me go back...ever. Scottsdale has many incredible places to eat with great service. No point in wasting vacation time giving this place a second chance.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LaSalle, Canada
“GREAT MEXICAN RESTAURANT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Good food, prices and quaint and next door to where we stay at Chaparral Suites Resort in the heart of beautiful Scottsdale.

Visited May 2012