“Talking Stick Resort... Meh.” 3 of 5 stars

Talking Stick Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9800 E. Indian Bend Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85256   |
Ranked #51 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Tucson, Arizona
“Talking Stick Resort... Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I are two youngish people who frequent Vegas when the deals are right and airfare is cheap. We have been to many different casinos in both Vegas and Tucson, AZ, and now also the Talking Stick.

We decided to stay there overnight because (drumroll.......) they had a buffet. Bam!

We consider ourselves buffet connoisseurs and frequent them at every chance we get. A different casino may well have gotten our business that night, had they had a buffet in house. So of course, we ate at the Wandering Horse buffet twice - dinner and then breakfast the next morning. The food was good both times, however breakfast was better. The best part of either buffet was easily the dessert selection, which was vast and had many options. The pizza was quite good, too. Simple but tasty. The wait staff were very polite and filled our drinks in a timely manner. That's all I have to say about that.

Onto the hotel portion - Meh. The room was nice enough, but our satellite TV didn't work and we had to call up a maintenance guy. Wah wahhhhhh. He got it working and we were delighted. The beds were comfortable enough, but the pillows were making things difficult. Too flat, then too high, then too smooshed, then smooshing my face and poking my eyeball..Eventually, I got it sorted out and fell into a deep slumber...

Until 10 minutes later when a distraught young woman started wailing and crying right outside our door. Okay, it was probably down the hall, but the clearness of her cries made it sound closer. This went on for ten minutes and then ceased. Another half an hour later, and on into the night every so often, we could clearly hear noisy drunk people laughing and stumbling and flirting up and down the hall.

I hate flirting. Is it even necessary in that situation? I mean, come on..everyone knows where it's going. Just do it.

Now, the casino - Mmmmmmmmmm. It was okay. My husband and I are not rich by any means, not even close, not in this lifetime. So what do poor folks like us do? Stick to penny slots. Er, I mean, $.30 slots. What was disappointing at Talking Stick is that they did not have all the cooler interactive games that other casinos in Vegas and Tucson have. What a bummer. We tried our hands at Deal or No Deal and lost a ton of change quickly, then moved onto the fish game. That was fun for a second. Then we retired to our room.

All in all, it was a decent, nice place to stay. They have a golf course and a huge pool area. But once you leave the casino grounds, you're still in AZ, ewww! Just not the same ambiance as Vegas. Nah mean?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our annual business meeting and conference was held here in May 2013. The lighting, chairs, and ease of moving from session to session were fine. The staff was friendly. Down side was I had to find creative walk paths to avoid casino smoke. The upside was I had to go outside weave around some pool areas. Also, there was a variety of restaurants to enjoy. My personal favorite was the seafood station located in the casino. It should also be noted one is truly isolated on the resort. One could not walk to anything if one forgot to pack an item. The hotel rooms are as nice as the pictures on the sites. Also it was very quiet despite the numerous guest on site who were obviously not there on business!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bedford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

For the second year in a row I had a conference at the Talking Stick. As many here do not, I will comment on the hotel only, not the Casino and not the restaurants who have their separate pages for comments.
I like this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable. I liked that the TV could move out from the wall and be adjusted to where you were in the room. The shower could use a wand or head along with the rainfall head but that's very minor.
I stayed 6 nights which included the weekend. We attended the Pool Party on Saturday and it was a little crowded but fun. At 2 AM on Sunday Morning there was a crowd of folks heading back to their rooms and woke me but they have a night club and casino so that is expected. I went right back to sleep.
I rated a 4 out of 5 for two reasons. One is within the hotels control and the other isn't. The cold water tap gives you two temperatures of water..... Hot and OMG. I know there may not be much they can do about this, being in a desert and all but it is annoying. The second was the internet. The signal was strong but having to sign 5 to 10 times daily is ludicrous. I know why they do this, to stop people from downloading and killing their bandwidth, but that does not make it less annoying. My last day there I logged my phone in 15 times. 2 maybe 3 times a day I can handle but 15 is too much.
Anyway, I will return as the good outweigh the bad.

Edisto Island, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The rooms were comfortable and clean. The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. Our first of our three night stay could not have been better. BUT, the second night around 2:30 am we were awakened by the unbelievably loud group of guys staying in the adjoining room. I cannot describe how loud they were. It was like there was no wall or door between the rooms. After two hours of this we reluctantly called the front desk who promptly sent security to their room. I don't know if they left or what, but they got quiet. We have never stayed anywhere that you could hear the next room so loudly. IF we stay there again, we will request a room that does not have an adjoining room, assuming that was the problem.

Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at Talking Stick for two nights during a recent biz trip to the Phoenix area. This was my second stay at this property, and I will be back again. The rooms are huge and very clean with adequate work space. The bathrooms are well appointed with a large, walk-in shower and full bathtub. I was upgraded to the Concierge level. The staff fulfilled my request for an east facing room so that I could enjoy the amazing desert sunrise. The food at the hotel is better than what you would expect from a Casino. I had some yummy seafood etouffe at Ocean Trail. It rivaled any etouffe I have ordered in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room with a view of the mountains.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very clean, very nice, and very professional. I stayed for a week while on business and they made me feel like I was on vacation. The bars were clean, kind, and professional (and good drinks) the spa has kind employees and a BEAUTIFUL view of the fields and mountains. The spa attendant informed me of many things including ... Did you know it takes 50 years for a cactus to grow an arm and their prison inmates stay in tent? The pool attendants were very kind and professional. The conference rooms were well laid out and they went above and beyond to make our group happy. On my last night I ate at Oceans Trail and had the Louisiana gumbo...it was to die for and the server and cooks cared about your experience! My only complaint is the bath room needs more lightning...yep it was that good!! I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: Pool View from my 8th floor was an incredible way to wake up!
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for a conference, and had a wonderful time. As a hotelier, I sometime get a little too picky, but this hotel was definitely up to par! Loved the over-sized room, beautiful views, spacious bathroom and amenities. Ordered room service a couple of times which was delivered promptly and was always delicious. Would definitely chose this hotel again when traveling to Scottsdale!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Talking Stick Resort? Share your experiences!