“Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

You added Talking Stick Resort to your Saves list
Talking Stick Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9800 E. Indian Bend Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85256   |
Ranked #53 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a nice hotel with beautiful spacious rooms and great bathroom. The view is beautiful, particularly at sunset. Hotel amenities are very nice especially the complimentary water in the room. I was pleased with the front desk check in as they were able to give me a room at 10AM, as I had flown in very early in the morning. However, housekeeping did not clean my room until after 3-3:30PM daily. The pools were nice, but there was a huge party going on in the larger pool the day we were there, so we used the smaller pool. The casinos were much nicer this year as they seemed to do better in eliminating the smoke. Last year it used to ooze up through the vents and into the rooms at night.
If you want to leave the hotel, best to rent a car. Hotel is right off of 101, and only 15 min from Old Towne and 30" from the airport.

Room Tip: Higher floor. Odd number rooms have a nicer view of the larger pool. Even rooms face the parking d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

This place must think it's Vegas worthy with it's insanely tight and expensive slots. As for the table games WAR was the best deal at only $5 bucks (what a sham) a flip! I know this place is located in uppity Snottsdale, but give me a break. With the amount of money spent there on drinks, room and gaming combined I could driven to Elko, NV and spent less! Just go to Vegas if your looking too stay somewhere more than two nights it will be a much grander and fun experience!

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel seems fairly new. Nice Keurig coffee maker. Small refrigerator in the room. Complimentary high speed internet. Beds are comfortable. Spacious bathroom with separate shower and bath areas. Room is a bit dark, not enough light and the wall is paper thin.
We're there over Memorial holiday weekend and the place was crowded. There were not enough slot machines in the casino. Seems like people were wondering around looking for machines. It's terrible. A casino with not enough machines. Why didn't they place more slots when they decided to build the hotel? To save money??? Buffett was not that bad and the coffee shop in the lower level was okay.

Room Tip: Since the wall is alredy paper thin, avoid a room with connection to another room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

As a huge fan of EDM (Electronic Dance Music), my wife and I decided to check out the Release Pool Party on Sunday over the Memorial Day Weekend. We booked our room at Talking Stick.

I would agree somewhat with the prior reviews that the front desk lacks a tad. We called in advance to get info on how the pool party was setup and got very little help over the phone with our questions.

The pool party starts at 11 a.m. and we arrived early 9:45 to make sure that we could get lounge chairs. We assumed our room would not be ready. We checked in and it was the very accomodating valet named Joe who informed us, not the front desk, that we could get pool keys for access to the pool prior to 11 a.m. Now why didn't the girls at the front desk gives us those when we made it quite clear we were there for the pool party.

An important thing to know about the Pool Party is that only hotel guest can access the pool area before 11 a.m. You can use your Room or a Pool key to access the main pool. The party is open to the general public but having a room gives you that earlier access so you can get a premium spot.

On this particular day I'd say there were still a significant amount of lounge chairs available when the doors opened at 11. It wasn't like there was an immediate rush of patrons, but I'd say most of the lounge chairs were taken by about 11:45.

If you want a lounge chair with a protective umbrella, Id' say you might want to be there between 9-9:30. We saw only one available umbrella when we arrived and it was on the 2nd row by the smaller wading pool.

The D.J. starts at 1 p.m. and on that Sunday we had a spinner named Tina T, Las Vegas' Best Female D.J. three years running. She spun well and had the crowd bouncing most of the afternoon.

The food servers were very good and attentive. They did get a little more scarse as the crowd grew. The resort said they were expecting 1,000-to-1,200 people for the pool fest but I'd say it was more around 500-700. Still a lot of people.

It didn't really get crowded till between 2:30-3 p.m. Once all the lounge chairs are gone. People congregate to tables and chairs that sit on the back side of the front row. After all those are gone, people begin taking spot along the edge of the pool.

Cabanas are available. It appears they have two kinds. The nice ones with couches, lounge beds and a flat screen TV. Those go for $300. The smaller ones have two lounge chairs and are $200. I saw about maybe 3-4 open Cabanas on this Sunday.

The hotel is located on the east side of the hotel tower so yes the sun disappears shortly after about 4 p.m. I didn't have a problem with this though because by that time we had been out there since about 10 a.m. so at that point it just was comfortable and we were winding down anyway.

After an unexpectedly long nap recovering from the pool experience. We ate at the Blue Coyote. Sat outside on the patio and the food and service were both very good.

We didn't gamble but chose instead to walk the grounds. The rooftop restaurant Orange Sky looks inviting and has great views on all sides. Very upscale and pricey.

They are suppose to be opening up a club on the floor below called Degree 270. It was not completed yet on our visit.

I know some people complained about the smoky casino and I hate cigarette smoke but I personally thought this was the best venilated casino I've ever been in. The cielings were high and it appeared most of the smoke was being sucked up and out.

The rooms were very nice. We got the west view toward the parking garage and the Salt River Fields (Diamondbacks and Rockies) complex in the distance.

We did have the previously reported issue with our faucet water. Both were hot and there was no cold. And neither my wife or I were fans of the rain (above) shower head.

We both liked Talking Stcik Resort and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed overnight at Talking Stick to meet up with friends for a birthday party. We arrived early knowing our room wouldn't be ready. The front desk clerk was very nice and offered to call us when it was ready. Great idea! They called about 3:30pm. I assumed that check in time would be 3pm, but maybe it was 4pm. Regardless, our friend's room wasn't ready until 4:30pm.

The room was nice. Not overly large or small. Just fine for 2 people. The bed was on the soft side, which was fine for me, not so much for my husband. The large windows are covered in shutters, which look nice but do little to keep out the sun in the morning. Our view was of the parking lot... not terribly inspiring. Nice pillows and plenty of them.

The bathroom was nice, with separate tub and shower. The biggest turn-off was finding a large clump of hair in the corner of the shower. It made me wonder if they had even cleaned it at all. Our friend found a sex toy and condoms in the end table drawer of his room. I had to wonder if they have too few chambermaids for so many rooms.

We paid at a group rate which still came to $168 for the night with tax and added charges. We had to pay $10 for a bell service and $3.50 for maid service. After finding the hair, I wondered if I overpaid for the maid service.

The pool was very crowded because they have a pool party on Saturdays during the summer. We lasted maybe 45 minutes before the loud music and massive number of people was too much. Lots of 20-somethings and lots of alcohol. It didn't help that it was over a hundred degrees that day.

This was a staycation, since we live only about 40 minutes away. I wouldn't go back unless I got a way better deal. The party was fun though!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Architecture at this resort is absolutely stunning! Checked in to a signature queen room for a Memorial Day StayCation. These rooms are extremely spacious, well appointed and have a large patio. Valet parking and WiFi are complimentary and there are no pesky "resort fees." Be sure to have a cocktail on the 15th floor at the Orange Sky restaurant. The views here are incredible! The spa is small but luxurious and offers amazing views of the Valley as well. The only negative about this resort is the cigarette smoke. You will smell it the moment you walk into the lobby/casino.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Talking Stick Resort? Share your experiences!