“Wandering Horse buffet and gambling review” 4 of 5 stars

Talking Stick Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9800 E. Indian Bend Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85256   |
Ranked #50 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Wandering Horse buffet and gambling review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went to Talking Stick for some gambling and lunch. We started out playing blackjack. We're non-smokers, so we were lucky to find spots at the BJ table in the non-smoking poker room. While it was stuck in a corner, the lack of smoke made it worthwhile. The dealers were all friendly and the rules were Vegas-like - no house friendly junk.

After a while, I wanted to try my luck at slots, so we headed there. This was my 4th time there and maybe it's just my bad luck, but I've never won anything. I believe it's another tight reservation casino.

We headed to the buffet for lunch and were pleasantly surprised. We expected something pretty generic. Instead, the options were varied and for the most part, quite good.

The service was friendly and efficient. The food was good and we got discount coupons to make it even more inexpensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this casino/hotel resort and spa 3/13/13-3/18/13 Yes. I agree it's targeted to adults but family can stay - must watch and entertain their own kids. As for the actual review for us. Must rent car to get here but then we just parked it. Great place close to everything we wanted, nice rooms and wonderful staff. My husband golfed one day with friends. He took the shuttle to the course. I had a 90 minute massage. We gambled a little. Had dinner at all restuarants on site, Orange Sky -wow! Nice live music. We attend two spring training games - one at Salt River field and another at Scottsdale Stadium-took the shuttle so no problem parking. Used the pool and spa plus had drinks bought to us-sunny and relaxing. We know some people write a review when one has a bad day. We had 6 fantastic days at this location and decided to let you know. Special thanks to Phoebe and Becky in Concierge. We plan to vacation here again in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The dueling pianos were nice, but everything else was not. My friend is legally blind and because she had to hold onto an elbow, the resort thought she was intoxicated. When we tried to explain, they did not listen. They turned what was supposed to be an exciting night into a nightmare. This was my first experience at a casino and my last. I will never return.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Was there for a business conference in March 2013. First, it's a casino with a hotel built around it. You get the casino feel when you walk in. I guess it's fine if you like it. You have to go through the casino to go from the front desk to your room. It's like checking into an airport. The rooms are very clean and new. However, they are terribly lacking personality. Towels in bathroom are clean but not fresh.
Did not visit the spa but heard good comments from coworkers. The no lifeguard pool is a puddle. I guess it was built shallow for the parents to leave their kids there unwatched while gambling.
Average experience, wouldn't recommend it for a personal stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a desert view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TalkingStickResort, Manager at Talking Stick Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I will pass this on to management.
San Rafael, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Talking Stick Resort. Hotel is pretty, pool is great. Service is less than adequate and food so, so. I think it is the first Resort I have stayed at when you ask staff a question you got the same consistent answer. " I don't know." One would think they could at least respond "I don't know , but I will find someone that does know." Our room was not cleaned one day and we had been out of the romm for 8 hours so there was plenty of time. When we got back and called we had to make 3 more calls to get someone to come and clean. Then they did not vacuum and they did not leave a new kleenex box that was obviously empty. Also noticed lots of safety concerns. No rail on side of tub to assist in and out. No safety rail in shower. Poorly lighted hallways and rooms. For the price I expected more.

Room Tip: Try and book a room on one of the top floors. The view is nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, I will pass this on to management.
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the Talking Stick Resort and Casino as a package of airfare and hotel stay sponsored by Southwest Airlines. It included airfare from Denver to Phoenix and 3 nights lodging at the Talking Stick Resort for less than 3 nights room alone. A very good deal. We added 2 sets of tickets for Colorado Rockies spring training games and made a long weekend of it. It was worth the trip and we had a great time at both the hotel/casino (although we are not gamblers) and the cactus league games.
Since I am not a gambler, I cannot speak to the casino and gaming associated with the hotel. However, the hotel and its amenities are very nice and only 3 years old. Our room was a king-studio with lots of room for 2 people, a spacious bathroom with both a shower and tub, a mini-frig, and an awesome view of the parking lot (try not to get a room on the west side of the hotel). The hotel has everything that most people would want with 2 swimming pools plus kids pools, a large hot tub, 5 restaurants, several bars, exercise room with new equipment, spa, free wifi in the rooms and throughout the property, a free business center with computers and printers, and free valet parking. They provide free shuttle to and from Salt River Fields and the Pavilions shopping area adjacent to the Fields. It is located on the eastern side of Phoenix (actually just east of Scottsdale) so you will need a rental car if you want to do anything outside of the immediate area. That's the good news.
The bad news is the staff at Talking Stick. Our experience with them was terrible. We found the bell staff unhelpful and only interested in servicing people arriving in cars so that they could gather tips. Otherwise, when we asked them any questions, about the shuttles to Salt River Fields for example, they were either vague in their answers or didn't know the answers and never helped us get the information we needed.
With the exception of one person who was absolutely outstanding, the concierge staff was completely incompetent and more interested in chatting us up with stories of where they the used to live and how they ended up in Phoenix, then helping us to get what we needed done.
The housekeeping staff didn't seem to know their own rules about when to change towels and how to make the bed. Towels were changed when they weren't supposed to be and used towels that were intentionally left in the bath tub to be changed were not. One day we came in from a ball game to find the bed had been only partially made. It was as though the maid had left in a hurry to go do something else and never came back.
Overall, because the hotel is new and seemed well maintained, I would give them a recommendation and hope that our experiences with the staff were anomalies.

Room Tip: Book you room on a high floor and on the east side of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a really beautiful resort with spring training baseball games across the street on their property. The restaurant choices were limited and the food and price was okay, not great. The spa is very modern with expansive views. The spa cost $525 for two people (2 massages and 2 pedicures incl. tip). But it is lovely and comparable to other nice spas in town. This is a casino resort so there is a smoke odor all the time (in the casino, restaurants). Ate at the seafood restaurant "Ocean Trail" which is exposed to the casino in a bar type setting. I would have preferred to be seated away from the casino. My bill was $52 + tip for two people which included two cocktails.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Talking Stick Resort? Share your experiences!