“talking stick” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
San Rafael, California
“talking stick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Talking Stick Resort. Hotel is pretty, pool is great. Service is less than adequate and food so, so. I think it is the first Resort I have stayed at when you ask staff a question you got the same consistent answer. " I don't know." One would think they could at least respond "I don't know , but I will find someone that does know." Our room was not cleaned one day and we had been out of the romm for 8 hours so there was plenty of time. When we got back and called we had to make 3 more calls to get someone to come and clean. Then they did not vacuum and they did not leave a new kleenex box that was obviously empty. Also noticed lots of safety concerns. No rail on side of tub to assist in and out. No safety rail in shower. Poorly lighted hallways and rooms. For the price I expected more.

Room Tip: Try and book a room on one of the top floors. The view is nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TalkingStickResort, Manager at Talking Stick Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I will pass this on to management.

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the Talking Stick Resort and Casino as a package of airfare and hotel stay sponsored by Southwest Airlines. It included airfare from Denver to Phoenix and 3 nights lodging at the Talking Stick Resort for less than 3 nights room alone. A very good deal. We added 2 sets of tickets for Colorado Rockies spring training games and made a long weekend of it. It was worth the trip and we had a great time at both the hotel/casino (although we are not gamblers) and the cactus league games.
Since I am not a gambler, I cannot speak to the casino and gaming associated with the hotel. However, the hotel and its amenities are very nice and only 3 years old. Our room was a king-studio with lots of room for 2 people, a spacious bathroom with both a shower and tub, a mini-frig, and an awesome view of the parking lot (try not to get a room on the west side of the hotel). The hotel has everything that most people would want with 2 swimming pools plus kids pools, a large hot tub, 5 restaurants, several bars, exercise room with new equipment, spa, free wifi in the rooms and throughout the property, a free business center with computers and printers, and free valet parking. They provide free shuttle to and from Salt River Fields and the Pavilions shopping area adjacent to the Fields. It is located on the eastern side of Phoenix (actually just east of Scottsdale) so you will need a rental car if you want to do anything outside of the immediate area. That's the good news.
The bad news is the staff at Talking Stick. Our experience with them was terrible. We found the bell staff unhelpful and only interested in servicing people arriving in cars so that they could gather tips. Otherwise, when we asked them any questions, about the shuttles to Salt River Fields for example, they were either vague in their answers or didn't know the answers and never helped us get the information we needed.
With the exception of one person who was absolutely outstanding, the concierge staff was completely incompetent and more interested in chatting us up with stories of where they the used to live and how they ended up in Phoenix, then helping us to get what we needed done.
The housekeeping staff didn't seem to know their own rules about when to change towels and how to make the bed. Towels were changed when they weren't supposed to be and used towels that were intentionally left in the bath tub to be changed were not. One day we came in from a ball game to find the bed had been only partially made. It was as though the maid had left in a hurry to go do something else and never came back.
Overall, because the hotel is new and seemed well maintained, I would give them a recommendation and hope that our experiences with the staff were anomalies.

Room Tip: Book you room on a high floor and on the east side of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a really beautiful resort with spring training baseball games across the street on their property. The restaurant choices were limited and the food and price was okay, not great. The spa is very modern with expansive views. The spa cost $525 for two people (2 massages and 2 pedicures incl. tip). But it is lovely and comparable to other nice spas in town. This is a casino resort so there is a smoke odor all the time (in the casino, restaurants). Ate at the seafood restaurant "Ocean Trail" which is exposed to the casino in a bar type setting. I would have preferred to be seated away from the casino. My bill was $52 + tip for two people which included two cocktails.

• Stayed March 2013
Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in an executive king on the corner of the building. The view was beyond words. The balcony is HUGE. Gorgeous views of the mountains and golf course. The shower was big and beautiful. The bed was very comfortable. Would go back in a heartbeat.

The casino is very small. The buffet is great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went this past weekend for a Girl's Trip/Bachelorette Party. The resort was cleaned and well maintained, we had a chance to check out the spa which was also lovely. Virginia a spa employee was pleasant, the rest of the ladies were a bit rude. The rooms in the hotel are nice and modern, very Vegas esq. We went to degree 270, the night club 2 nights in a row. ..sound fun overall.

Room Tip: It's nice to have a view of the golf course or mountains. Make sure you park yourself under the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The purpose of my stay at the Talking Stick Resort was a company business conference but it was a wonderful antidote to the grungy snow left on the ground back home. My room was large and decorated in calming cream and brown colors, with wooden louvers over the windows to shut out the sun. Even the bathroom was large and attractive; the shower enclosure had an inset section backed with a mosaic of iridiscent tiles. There was a good work desk and plenty of places to plug in electronics, so I was able to be productive when needed. There was a coffee maker with K-cups for coffee and tea in the room.

The hotel has a casino, of which you are acutely aware every time you walk to and from meetings, but it wasn't really intrusive till I tried to find the lobby and practically had to circumnavigate the whole floor, past pinging machines and bored gamblers, before I was finally able to check out.

The grounds are beatiful, with traditional desert plantings, and the pool was my favorite part. It's heated so even in March it was pleasant. I have no idea why all those silly people were in the casino when they could have been out swimming but most times I had the pool to myself. They have a gym but I didn't check it out.

There's very little nearby unless you have a car, but most visitors here have one.

Catering was good overall; some skewers of fresh fruits looked far better than they tasted (mostly underripe), but other than that they did a good job, including the vegan meal a colleague ordered.

Be aware that the resort adds gratuities for the maid to your bill every day and also includes a $10 "porterage" fee the day you check in. I always carry my own stuff, so that was useless. There were also minor slip-ups in the housekeeping. In the bathroom, I found that they hadn't even cleaned the counter under the area where I left my toothbrush and found a piece of dental floss on the floor that hadn't landed in the wastebasket the night before. Certainly not deal-breakers but they could pay more attention to detail.

Meeting rooms were fine; the usual windowless ballrooms, occasionallly too cold. Internet available throughout the hotel was fast, user-friendly and included in the room rate.

I loved this place although I could do without the casino, and I hope my company selects the Taalking Stick again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is our second time to the talking stick and we had fun. I lost, but my sister won.

Rooms ate great, but getting a bit pricey. We loved the restaurant- the blue coyote. Great food, and fun to sit outside.

It is one of the only smoking place I've in in a long time. So if you don't smoke be prepared.

We haven't been here for any of the shows, but looks like some top shows.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Talking Stick Resort? Share your experiences!