“Much Better Than The Price Suggests” 5 of 5 stars

Prices are for rooms, adults
Talking Stick Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9800 E. Indian Bend Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85256   |
Ranked #51 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
“Much Better Than The Price Suggests”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My guest and I stayed here for a night in December and were very pleasantly surprised! The price for a night at this hotel would suggest a very average room but this place had fantastic views, excellent staff and beautiful modern decor. The service was unbelievable and my only complaint is that you have to walk through a smoke-filled casino to get to the room tower. Other than that, this hotel was fantastic! Thank you!!

• Stayed December 2012

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel rooms are beautiful! However, most all the staff encountered, were extremely rude. My husband and I were celebrating our birthdays. While we were eating breakfast at 2am, friends of ours were in our room. Security was called to our room, for a noise disturbance. When I showed up, I tried to get an explanation, and tell them it was my room. Security told me to shut up, get my stuff and leave. Our entire party was made up of professionals, nurses, lawyers, etc. We are not the hoodlums we were treated like. It was clear to me their security does not have good communication skills, and instead of trying to diffuse a situation, they were causing the situation to escalate. I was so mad, that I had paid $240, and not allowed to stay the night, or even get an opportunity to explain. There was also a police officer present, when I asked him for his information, to follow up with the police report. He said, there won't be one, no crime was committed. When I went to the front desk, I explained what happened, and asked them for a refund. Once again horrible customer service, no communication skills. Just simply, no we aren't giving you a refund. I have never had such terrible service. Not to mention being charged, a lot of money for services not rendered. I would understand if it was my husband or I causing the trouble, however, that was not the case. Not to mention, we were never given the opportunity to explain. We had to take a cab home, $85, and go back the next day for our vehicle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sedona, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Rooms were very nice. We stayed on the Club floor with nice amenities, but there was only one bathrobe in the closet. We needed another and were concerned about being charged for a missing bathrobe. We called down for an additional one, however, it never arrived. We had friends who were staying a couple of rooms down who wanted more coffee. A few minutes later they heard a housekeeper knocking on the door next door with more coffee. Actually coffee being available in the room was a very nice surprise as we never experience this in Vegas.
The following morning when we checked out we mentioned that we did not receive the robe we called down for and the young woman said, "Oh that's okay, we only put one in the room." She totally missed the point.
The beds were comfortable, but at 2 and again around 5 a.m. a buzzer went off somewhere in the hotel that was loud and frightening. We didn't know if it was a fire alarm. It didn't go off for several minutes.
As with any casino hotel we had to run the gauntlet and hold our breath as much as possible getting through the smoke. It really reduced our desire to eat or have a drink in the bar. We went out to dinner and breakfast in order to avoid the cigarette stink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away as possible from the casino.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The rooms were very comfortable. The bathroom light was dismal, some of the worst for putting on makeup. The bathroom door was a sliding door that left a little gap, not very private nor was there any way to securely close the door. There was also no venting system so bathroom smells tended to linger. We really enjoyed the soaking tub, however, and the rainfall shower head. Not a bad value for the area.

I'd DEFINITELY recommend a room with a balcony.

Room Tip: Get a balcony!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Very nice resort. Large, modern, comfortable rooms? Free valet parking. Plenty of food and drink options. Outdoor areas, pools are plentiful. Staff was friendly and quick and easy check in. Only annoyance was poor bathroom lighting and housekeeping banged on my door at 9:00am and asked through the door what time I was leaving-- strange!

Stayed January 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have stayed here several times and the last few have been free so please remember the room was free. Stayed in November and also in December. November stay was in a room that the beds needed to be replaced. They were very lumpy and saggy. Room had 3 lights out in the bathroom which I noticed right away and my husband stayed while they fixed them. Was pretty quick. December trip room the beds were better and only 1 light out in the bathroom so just lived with it. The makeup mirror was losing its light so pretty tough to put makeup on. This room had a wonderful housekeeper. They do check your room key before you enter the elevators which I really like. Unfortunately, one late evening I went to the room alone and no one was there to check keys. Did not like that - I am older and dragging oxygen (no I don't smoke). We always enjoy ourselves as it is smaller which makes it easy for me. We go during the week when quiet and the food at Oceans Trail is spectacular. Hoping to go back later this spring once we receive free rooms again.

Room Tip: East facing toward pool and golf course for nice views and the lights are great for night lights.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place has a few rough edges, although it tries very hard to be smooth.

Let me start with the plus points. Service staff was uniformly friendly and efficient. The food in the Blue Coyote 24-hour coffee shop and the Orange Sky flagship restaurant was very good and plentiful.

Now to the problems, which unfortunately outnumber the thumbs-up. The casino is not very big, so it's often difficult to get a machine you like. That is if you can even find one through all the smoke.

The Orange Sky restaurant has a dress code. Women in mini skirts are OK, men in shorts are not. Really! I only wanted to go up to 15th floor to take pictures of the sunset and was refused access by the dress code gestapo. It would stand the hotel in good stead to be a little more relaxed. We stayed here for over a week and still, as often as not, had to show our room keys before being allowed access to the hotel tower. I guess we should count ourselves lucky that we didn't have to take or shoes off and empty our pockets of metal.

The hotel really failed in its rooms. Although they are very modern and impressive looking, they failed in actual use. My biggest problem was with the sliding bathroom door that did not really close, leaving about a 1" gap on both sides. Not my idea of upscale, especially since the bathrooms are like echo chambers, making all bathroom noises audible in the bedroom without much loss in clarity.

Because of circumstances, we stayed in two different rooms during our holiday here. The first was a room with two beds, the second had a king size bed. The beds in the two bed room were less than queen size. That room also had only one chair, even though it potentially could accommodate four people. The hotel was not able to supply us with another easy chair, and instead gave us a stiff back banquet room chair. Again not my idea of upscale. It also only had one night table, between the two beds. There was only one lamp, again between the two beds. Anyone catching the outside spots would have to read by flashlight before going to sleep. To top mediocrity off, the main room lights could not be turned off from any bed. The switch for them was beside the door.

The bathroom sink had no stop. Not kidding! The fact that water pressure was next to nonexistent I explained by being in the desert. OK, fair enough.

Housekeeping staff apparently has not been trained to dust, or clean wine glasses. On occasion, they solved the latter problem by just taking them away.

This place has a long way to go before it becomes what it pretends to be. Management should take a vacation at the Arizona Inn in Tucson. They might learn something about class.

Room Tip: I would not pick a room with two beds again. It seems the unevenly numbered rooms face east and look...
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Talking Stick Resort? Share your experiences!