“Fantastic summer getaway.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
San Jose, California
“Fantastic summer getaway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I can't say enough about our recent stay. We went in July therefor it was very quiet which added to our enjoyment. We have stayed many times at the Phoenician which is a lovely resort. The Canyon Suites are a hotel within a hotel. The staff is wonderful. The rooms are wonderful. We used the pool everyday (the CS has it's own pool not available to the Phoenician guests) and it was wonderful. The staff came by often to make sure we had everything we needed. They kept our water cold and kept us in fresh towels. We enjoyed complimentary wifi and coffee brought to our room every morning. We were delivered fresh fruit our first day which was really a nice touch. Housekeeping kept a fresh flower in our bathroom, also a nice touch. My favorite part? THE BED! It was like sleeping in a cloud each night. The fluffiest most comfortable bed EVER. Crisp white linens completed the experience. My second favorite part was the afternoon wine and horderves each day in the lobby. It was really a nice touch that we looked forward to each day. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PhoenicianManager, Front Office Manager at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for staying at The Canyon Suites for your most recent summer getaway! I am so glad you were able to experience the serenity our desert has to offer during the summer months- what a wonderful time to visit! I will be sure to recognize our fantastic pool staff for their attentive services. The Luxury Collection bedding is truly dreamy- I am envious myself! We look forward to your return and creating yet another memorable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Highland, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is one of the finest hotels I have ever used. Service, amenities and setting are all exceptional.
We were upgraded from a one bedroom to a suite because my friend has a Starwood Gold card. We were chauffeured to a nearby s hmm hoping ate and picked free of charge. The spa was also splendid with a great meditation area.

Room Tip: Views of the pool or golf course are available.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your kind review! I am pleased to hear about your upgraded Canyon Suite experience and the many exclusive services provided to you during your recent stay. We welcome the opportunity to impress you once more!
Sussex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We've been trying out hotels in the wider Phoenix area after making this our regular entry entry point into the USA.

Our favourite previously was The Sanctuary which we really enjoyed last year. The Canyon Suites is better.

The service is world-class, from being greeted by name out front, through to the excellent reception process and outside to the beautiful pool area.

We had a one-bedroomed suite overlooking the golf course. It was very well proportioned and furnished. We really liked the understated and elegant decor. Great balcony terrace, and luxurious bathroom. Plenty of cupboard space and usefully guest bathroom. Housekeeping was consistently good throughout our stay.
There were nice touches like a tempting fruit basket welcome arrangement.

We were looking to relax thoroughly ahead of a long flight home, and the exclusive pool was just the place to do so. There were more than enough sunloungers on a fairly busy weekend. Very attentive service from the pool attendants, including complimentary ice water which was frequently topped up. The view from the pool up at Camelback Mountain was spectacular.

We think we'll stop experimenting, and stay here again in the future.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so delighted you chose The Canyon Suites this year and have already made plans to return again! Thank you for the gracious comments- it certainly sounds like your accommodations provided the perfect balance of comfort and luxury. On behalf of the entire Canyon Suites team, thank you! We look forward to your return.
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Canyon Suites for four nights the end of June. There were eight of us total and we occupied 4 Canyon Rooms, not Suites. I was hesitant to book this hotel because I never heard much about it and there were so few reviews on Trip Advisor I wondered if the previous comments could be trusted. They can be trusted. Excellent Customer Service surrounds you from the moment you arrive to the minute you depart. The employees seem to have a number one goal of pleasing their guests.

This will be a detailed review to cover topics I see lacking in previous postings.

Layout:
The Canyon Suites is a small, boutique type hotel that sits on the grounds of the Phoenician Resort. It has a pool, hot tub, cabanas and pool service but everything else (restaurants, gym, spa, gift shops, golf course) is located at the Phoenician. A cart is always available to drive you over to the Phoenician and if one is not available a driver will be there in 2 minutes flat. We prefer to walk but the layout of the resort makes that very difficult. Most pathways are internal to the Phoenician and you must enter the main lobby and go through the building to access them. The other option is to walk along the road where the cars drive. I’m not sure if this was done to encourage the use of carts or possibly to keep people out. This isn’t a big deal but I did find it odd, as if the two hotels don’t mesh that well together.

Rooms versus Suites:
The Canyon Suites has Rooms and Suites. We stayed in 4 Rooms. The Rooms are very large (600sq feet) and have a beautiful bathroom, great views and lots of space. The One-Bedroom Suites are double the size and contain a living area and dining area. Two Rooms cannot connect, however a Room and a Suite can connect. In one King room we also had a rollaway bed. There was plenty of room for this.

The beds were very comfortable, the rooms were quiet, and the bathroom and shower were great. Everyone loved the extensive turn down service with glass bottles of water, chocolate (wish it were dark chocolate) and soft music. There were only three downsides to the rooms and everyone agreed. First, the toilet was very low to the ground and the bowl was very shallow. Every female experienced the same problem with the shallow bowl. I won’t go into detail for there is no appropriate way of explaining it. Let’s just say new toilets are needed. Second, the safe was vertical not horizontal, this made storing items difficult. Finally, two of the rooms experienced very large bugs. One was trapped by a guest and one was killed. The staff immediately too care of the problem, offered to spray inside and or out, and was very gracious if this caused trouble. Given that we are directly and I mean directly at the base of a mountain and it was 105 degrees outside I am sure all types of critters try to get in. I do not think this has anything to do with cleanliness.

Pool:
The pool was very quiet and relaxing, quite a difference from the pools at the Phoenician. Since it is exclusive to Canyon guests, there were plenty of seats and shade. The staff at the pool, Mercel, Kevin, and Ben all did a great job attending to our needs. If you ask for anything, they made it happen. We especially loved the chocolate bon bons. While it was fun to be able to head over to the Phoenician and play on the slide with the kids or under a waterfall, the kids and adults alike preferred the quieter Canyon pool.

I did think the pool could use improvements. The tile around the edge of the entire pool was unstable and what I believe to be filters (huge elevated grates) in the bottom of the pool would rip your feet apart if you forgot they were there. There is no reason the pool shouldn’t be as nice or nicer than the pools at the Phoenician. Also, they could certainly add misters like at the Four Seasons. I think they need to step the Pool area up a notch.

Fitness Center:
We used the fitness center to run on the treadmill and lift weights. The gym had nice equipment, towels, cold water and a beautiful view. It was on the smaller side so I think it might get quite busy during the high season.

Dining:
We ate at Il Terrazzo for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was good, especially the weekend buffet. Service was good as well. As for dinner, the meals were hit or miss. Being 10 minutes from so many great restaurants I would suggest going elsewhere in Scottsdale.

We also ate at Relish Burger Bistro. The burgers, appetizers and dessert were all good. I wouldn’t rave about the place but what can you say about burgers and tater tots.

The pool food was good, but the menu was limited.

Service:
The service at the Canyon Suites was excellent. The valet, cleaning staff, Ambassadors and pool staff, were all friendly, attentive, and eager to please. How often do you go to a hotel and say that? This is the reason people come to the Canyon Suites and why I can overlook any minor areas for improvement.

The bottom line is, the hotel knows what they are doing. They include valet parking, wine tasting, morning coffee, newspapers, internet, etc., into the price so you never feel like you are being over charged throughout your stay. You just come and enjoy your visit. The landscaping and view are beautiful; the hotel is near many great restaurants and just a short drive from the airport. You can’t go wrong staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Front Office Manager at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Many thanks for your comprehensive and thoughtful review. Trip Advisor is a powerful tool used in assisting future guests in selecting a hotel and your comments are most certainly resourceful and appreciated. Your remarks about the room size are spot on. At 600 square feet, our standard guest rooms mirror junior suites at many other properties! I am glad to hear that your family had plenty of space. Your noted concerns about the pool area are taken seriously and upper management has been notified. Our team at the Canyon Suites cherishes your praise regarding our service excellence as it is our goal to provide personalized assistance through every interaction. Thank you for taking note. We sincerely appreciate your valuable feedback and wish for the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were blown away at the level of service provide by the staff at The Canyon Suites. It surpassed a Ritz or a Four Seasons! From the welcoming email prior to arrival to the valet putting cold bottles of water in our car when they brought it around. The property is gorgeous. We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite with a golf course view. Plenty of space for 2 adults and a teenager. The room was beautiful and comfortable. One of the best rooms I have stayed in. Would love to come back!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Front Office Manager at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
The Canyon Suites prides itself on delivering the exceptional to each and every guest. Thank you for letting us pamper you in our desert oasis! I am so glad you were able to experience the beautiful 27-hole golf course view during your stay. Next time, I might suggest a suite overlooking our private pool and Camelback Mountain. We would love to welcome you back!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

When I read so many reviews that are as effusive about a hotel as the ones for the canyon suites, I have to stay there. We did and were not disappointed. My husband and I and 2 daughters drove from Toronto to the Grand Canyon the last week of June. We decided to end the journey with 4 days in Scottsdale. The canyon suites were paradise. It was off season so relatively quiet and the room rates were great. The girls enjoyed the Phoenician's pools and water slide. The private pool was lovely and marcel and staff were very friendly and efficient. The staff at the front entrance were so nice and always offered to take us to the main hotel in the golf cart. The girls loved it! We ate on site for 2 dinners (Italian was good; j and g not recommended for kids) and the staff recommended olive and ivy and cowboy ciao in old Scottsdale. Both were terrific and fine for 8 and 10 year olds. Would love a bar at the canyon suites. We loved the birds of prey show on Friday night outside on the deck of thirsty camel. We had cocktails and the girls took pictures and asked questions. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. At the suites there is no resort fee, wi-fi charge (Starwood needs to adopt this for all of its properties!) or charge for valet parking. But like any 5 star resort, keep your wallet handy for tipping! They all deserved it too! The prices for everything at the hotel are on par with 5 star resorts ($$ pool side mediocre food; $8 lattes; $10 beer; $20 ice cream in the lounge etc). Don't stay at these places if you aren't prepared to pay their prices! We will definitely be back, perhaps when a bit cooler:).

• Stayed June 2014
It sounds like your family had quite the trip in Arizona! Thank you for choosing The Canyon Suites to spend your last few relaxing days in the Southwest. We are fortunate to share such wonderful amenities with The Phoenician Resort including the Birds of Prey show, acre of pools, and unique dining experiences while providing our own exclusive touches along the way. Please join us again in the cooler seasons for yet another memorable stay!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have just been at The Canyon Suites for 10 nights. We have stayed before and it is superb. Before I sing the praises of the place however I would just say... Canyon Suites please remember.. Not all of your guests are dog lovers!!!! So, what a great stay. Perfect room size, great views of Camelback Mountain (or The Valley of The Sun if you prefer), and the luxury of staying in a boutique hotel within the wider Phoenician property. The Canyon has it's own guest car to take you to the Camelback Mountain trail head for hiking or to the Fashion Square shops. It's a shame that this can not be extended to Scottsdale old town... Just another half a mile? If you like playing tennis the centre at The Phoenician is one of the best in the world. And well done to Jason who is one of the worlds best tennis directors. Also a mention for Ben at the Canyon Suites pool who always goes that extra mile to ensure that his guests are comfortable. All of the on site restaurants are excellent. Especially JG Steakhouse. A brilliant stay. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: Choose the 2nd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for continuing to be such loyal guests to The Canyon Suites! As it is our goal to make each and every guest as comfortable as possible, I appreciate your honest feedback regarding our dog friendly program and chauffeur services – they do not go unnoticed. I will pass along your glowing review to our acclaimed tennis facility and professionals as well; they truly deserve to be recognized for their superior talents and service. The entire Canyon Suites team looks forward to welcoming you both back soon!

Been to The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician? Share your experiences!