“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have been coming here for over 12 years now and stay either at the Canyon Suites or Phoenician, which are about the same, but Canyon Suites are a little nicer & more private-has its own private pool which is great if you want to sit back in peace and totally relax.

The staff always goes above and beyond. The king room I booked was sold out when I arrived & I wasn't going to be comfortable in a double bed room so they upgraded me at no cost to a beautiful suite. It was really nice to finish working and then relax at the main and private pool area.

We invited friends to join at the main pool & they brought their kids, there's adult & kid friendly areas, large water slide-games and activities in the summer.

Must eats in the area: Culinary Dropout, Olive & Ivy, Mastro's steak, & That's Amore Gelato

Room Tip: Travel in the summer for the best rates! If not the prices go way up! I tipped the front desk girl a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PhoenicianManager, Director of The Canyon Suites at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We are so glad to hear that you consider The Canyon Suites to be your home away from home; and more importantly, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We look forward to having you back again!

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The room was great, spacious, nicely appointed, but not over the top special, not like other true 5 stars I been to before. The reception area pretty, but not overly elegant, a bit dated, but nice. The staff, very friendly and attentive. The pool area was excellent, great service, nice jacuzzi, hot as heck. Great views as you're literally at the base of Camelback Mountain. BUT...there was one really bothersome issue that honestly put a damper on the whole weekend...I couldn't cool the room down to an acceptable level. The thermostat was the old fashion type, no temperature settings just fan speeds and hot or cold. Additionally, if you leave the patio doors open, I mean even slightly ajar, the AC shuts off. We must have left them a tiny bit open, because after dinner we returned to an oven. I felt like I was a teenager who did something wrong and was being punished. Even after the room cooled down to it's coldest, I was slightly sweaty. At a true 5 star hotel I should be able to have an Artic blast if I choose. So, all in all it was a wonderful experience, with some minor exceptions and one major one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback as it is a valuable tool in improving the guest experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service and staff at the pool. I agree that there are great views of Camelback Mountain from almost every angle, as we are situated right at the base of the mountain. In regards to your concerns with the air conditioning – the door sensors are designed to help us be more environmentally friendly. We are looking to update the thermostats next year with our renovations and hopefully alleviate the majority of the cooling issues. Thank you again sharing your experience; we look forward to having you join us again in the future.
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Canyon Suites for the 4th of July weekend and had an amazing time. It was our first time in Arizona. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the service you will receive here will be outstanding. We initially received an email from one of the Canyon Suite ambassadors asking us us about our arrival time, whether we were celebrating a special occasion, interests, plans for our stay, etc. All our special requests, especially the dietary ones, were acknowledged by the staff. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne because I mentioned it was our anniversary. We were greeted every time we walked pass staff. In addition to the excellent service, some of the other pros of planning a vacation at the Canyon Suites include:

-Car service to and from the main resort and the local attractions (including the shopping area in Scottsdale and Camelback Mountain)
-Just for Canyon residents, a private pool. The private pool is great to get away from the larger crowds at the Phoenician pool.
-Great dining options within the resort and just outside the resort (cheesecake factory and pf changs at fashion square)
-Amazing views of Camelback Mountain from the pool and from the hotel room (Girlfriend and I actually climbed the mountain during our stay!)
-The hotel rooms - we stayed in a Canyon suite equipped with tvs in all the rooms - including the bathroom, an additional half bath, maid service 2x a day!, min-bar, luxurious bathroom with hot tub and shower, and very spacious living and dining areas. We even had a printer/fax in the room which we did not use but was nonetheless impressive.

I know I mentioned the service but I would regret not mentioning specific names - Natalia, Lora, Julian, Patrick, Damien were all great. My girlfriend and I had the most interaction with Patrick and Damien because they were kind enough to drive us to and from the different areas of the resort and to other attractions in Scottsdale but you can definitely tell that they wanted to make every person's stay at the Canyon special and memorable. Natalia helped my girlfriend and I out with a billing issue which we were thankful for.

The only things which could be improved would be adding a swim-up bar to the Phoenician pool (would be nice to not have to get out of the pool to get a drink) and adding in more conveniently located outlets to the rooms (outlets on the bedside lamps would be more convenient and accessible versus the current setup - outlets behind the nightstands). Can't think of anything else!

Had an amazing time and will hopefully be back soon!

PS: After the nightly maid service, we were provided with bottled water labeled "Tatu" which I can only describe as some of the best water I've ever drank in my life. The little things I will miss....

Room Tip: Book a Canyon Suite!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased to hear that you truly enjoyed every aspect of your vacation, and are happy that you chose to stay at The Canyon Suites! Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. It is through great feedback such as yours that we are able to take the guest experience to the next level. I am glad that you enjoyed the TAU water at Turndown as it is a new amenity that we recently begun offering. I will be sure that the staff you mentioned are personally recognized for providing memorable service. We hope to welcome you back again to The Canyon Suites during your next trip to Scottsdale!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician in Scottsdale are pretty near perfect. We are staying right now. It hasn't been quite as busy as perhaps the hotel would like but as a guest it has meant that we have enjoyed a totally relaxing break with fantastic service from the team. In addition to the Suites we have greatly enjoyed the tennis facility at The Phoenician. This year it has been busier than on previous visits. The tennis team is headed up by Jason Purcell. Jason is the consummate professional and has even let me take a couple of games off him!! The tennis centre is actually one of the reasons we choose to stay at The Phoenician after The Fairmont in Scottsdale seemed to lose interest in the sport. The Phoenician is a lovely hotel with attentive staff, wonderful restaurants and the perfect suites at 'The Canyon'. Oh, and if you are feeling especially energetic you can climb Camelback Mountain which provides the very beautiful backdrop to the property. Worth every penny!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are happy to hear that your return trip to The Canyon Suites was relaxing and enjoyable. Jason Purcell is an asset to the Phoenician and your feedback attests to his commitment to making the Tennis experience unlike any other. We look forward to welcoming back again in the near future!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a perfect vacation. This was my second stay at the Phoenician, but my first to the Canyon Suites. The Ambassador staff is outstanding. I had a special request that Natalia graciously took care of. This required other members of the hotel staff to complete and I'd like to thank them all. Each time I came through the Lobby , I was recognized and called by name, from the door man to the Ambassadors. I have some health problems which made walking to the Oasis Pool difficult, so I took advantage of the shuttle service , which Alex and Patrick did cheerfully, as did the doormen at the Phoenician main lobby. These outstanding employees are what make this such a great hotel. I certainly will return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Director of The Canyon Suites at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We appreciate your review and are thrilled to hear that you had a perfect vacation! I agree that the staff is what really makes the difference, and they take great pride in ensuring that every guest has the most memorable stay possible. I will ensure that the ambassadors you mentioned are recognized for their outstanding service. We hope to welcome you back to The Canyon Suites again!
Easton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at the Canyon Suites for three nights (June 20 - 23). During our visit to the Phoenix area, we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain, Four Seasons Troon North, The Biltmore, and The Canyon Suites at the Phoenician. The Canyon Suites were head and shoulders above the competition. Through an attention to detail and excellent communication they created a genuine 5 Star environment. There are too many pros to list. In short, if you want it, they got. The only down side is now the other hotels that I frequent will look worse since my stay at the Canyon Suites.

P.S. The ambassador program is great. It seems that each person offering a review has their favorite. Ours was Danae. She was tops. In fact, our 9 son wrote her a thank you card.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the amazing review! We are happy to hear that you found The Canyon Suites to be head and shoulders above the competition. Your feedback speaks to our commitment to providing Five-Star, Five-Diamond personalized service at every turn. I will ensure that Danae is recognized for her stellar service. We hope you choose The Canyon Suites again should you return to Scottsdale in the future.
brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Canyon Suites for our babymoon/honeymoon and had an amazing experience. The service is incredible. The ambassadors at the front are amazing and helped us plan our itinerary to the Grand Canyon and Sedona and made all our reservations for us. When we got to our car in the morning, waterbottles and our itinerary were aloready waiting for us there.They accommodated us with keeping kosher and sent us complimentary coffee to our room in the morning daily. They upgraded us upon arrival to a one bedroom suite and checked us in at 9am (instead of the later 4pm check in). They gave us no problem with late checkout as well and were very accommodating. Free water bottles are also handed out throughout your stay at the hotel which is great! Thank you so much Danae, Natalia, and Alex for all your help. It was much appreciated and we cant wait to come back again!!

Room Tip: Loved our one bedroom suite overlooking the pool on the 2nd floor. :) Great showers and beds :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician? Share your experiences!