“Perfect Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Perfect Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My wife and I have been travelling to the Canyon Suites for over 10 years. In our view, there is no better vacation spot in North America. Earlier this year, I planned a golf trip with three friends and was thrilled that, just as had been the case with my trips with my wife, the resort was just as extraordinary as a golf trip destination.

We have now just returned from a full family vacation at the resort, including our three children aged 13, 11 and 8. My wife and I had long considered bringing the kids to the resort and finally decided to do it. We were not dissappointed. Just as had been the case on our solo trips and my golf trip, the resort exceeded all of our expectations as a family resort.

The staff at the canyon suites are unlike any that I have ever encountered. They are pleasant beyond words and always looking for ways to make the trip as enjoyable as possible. The kids loved the afternoon snacks in the lobby and the special attention they got every time we returned to the hotel. In simple terms, I cannot imagine a more well managed hotel than the Canyon suites. Everything is perfect.

For those of you thinking about activities for the kids, we can certainly say that they will be kept busy. Our kids adored all of the pools and particularly the slide at the main hotel. They also loved coming back to the Canyon pool at the end of the day for a quiet swim as the sun was setting. The golf course was extremely welcoming to the kids who played with me for free after 3:00 pm. The tennis courts were also great. Finally, the luxury of being driven to the base of Camelback mountain for a hike in an air conditioned luxury car (another Canyon Suites perk) was also tremendous.

All in all, we cannot think of a better place to take your family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of The Canyon Suites. We are so pleased you and your family had a memorable vacation. The AAA Five Diamond boutique hotel is truly a resort-within-a-resort, designed to provide guests with a more private, enhanced experience -- along with access to all of the services and amenities found at The Phoenician. The complimentary golf for kids after 3 p.m. that you mentioned is part of our Family Tees Program. Junior rental sets are also available. We hope all of you had a chance to explore the Family Activity Center as well, which features a movie theater and interactive game room with Nintendo Wii. Thank you for visiting! We hope to have you back with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
newyork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I LOVE the Phoenician. I go at least once a year. This year I decided to try the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician and I am still not sure what I was paying extra for. I arrived late and there was no one at the front door!!!! NO ONE. I think the cab driver was afraid to leave me there by myself! I had just arrived after a 6 hour plane ride. Ironically, I had received and replied to a personalized email from an "ambassador" about my exact arrival time several days before my arrival... maybe it went to his spam box? The Phoenician is a great property... LOVE IT. and I think I'll take my chances in the main house going forward. The pool is great. Spa, tennis facilities great. The property has an excellent range of restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments. The Canyon Suites, as Arizona's only AAA Five Diamond boutique hotel, is designed to provide a more intimate, personalized guest experience. Your arrival situation was certainly not standard procedure and will be reviewed by management with our staff. One of the hotel's enhanced services is a check-in process that takes place right in your suite - offering added convenience for the weary traveler. We hope you were able to enjoy many of the other signature features offered, including sterling silver coffee and tea service delivered to your suite every morning; the complimentary weekday afternoon wine tastings; and the guaranteed reservations at any Phoenician restaurant or recreational venue, such as spa and golf. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you join us once again at either The Phoenician or The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician.
Horseshoe Bay, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

The staff at the Phoenician and Canyon Suites are amazing!!! I was pampered and tended to as if I were the only reservation/guest in the whole place. Deniz was beyond helpful and I felt as though he truly wanted me to have the experience of a lifetime. It was a birthday that week as well and the staff wanted to celebrate right along with me. I definitely recommend the Canyon Suites or the Phoenician. Beautiful facility but the staff...they made it all worth it!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

The service and facilities at the Canyon Suites are second to none. Our room, a suite, was very spacious and comfortably slept all members of our golf group. A dining voucher which could be used for room service (or in the restaurant) was included with our package. A hot breakfast cooked to order was brought to our room each morning and the table was set complete with linen table cloths, napkins, condiments and our own toaster so the bread would not gt soggy on the way over! The foyer of the suites always had complimentary water, coffee and fruit - and although I did not partake, I understand that complimentary wine tasting was also offered daily. Also included was complimentary use of the wellness centre.

The staff at the Canyon suites could not have been more helpful and eager to please. Whether you needed a quick ride across the resort to make a tee time, a dinner reservation or car service, everthing was done promptly and with a smile.

This is a spectacular resort, within a spectacular resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

I have been travelling to the Phoenician for over ten years. I am a very active business travellor who stays in fine hotels approximately 60 nights a year. When on leisure travel, I only stay at five star hotel chains such as Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, etc.

I can say without any hesitation that the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician is the best resort that I have ever had the priviledge of being a guest.

As a starting point, the level of sevice at the resort is truly remarkable. You will simply never find a more accomodating, professional and friendly staff. From the moment that you arrive at the Canyon Suites you are greeted at the door by a Canyon Ambassador who personally escorts you to your room and who, throughout your stay, is available to serve and any all of your needs. The complimentary coffee served in your room on shining silverware is a perk I have not seen anywhere else. The management and quality of service at the Canyon Suites is truly over the top.

The facilities are also extrarodinary. The resort is huge and yet every square foot of it is manicured and maintained to a level that I have never seen surpassed. The pools are beautiful, the landscaping is exceptional and the rooms are impeccable. I have eaten in most of the restaurants on the grounds and they are all terrific.

You must also enjoy the spa. Thirty minutes in the meditation room will leave you feeling as relaxed as you can imagine.

In the most recent trip (I ordinarily attend with my wife), I went with friends on a golf trip. The golf course, like the rest of the resort, is tremendous. Make sure to take a lesson with Mike Lamanna. I am an advanced golfer and can tell you that he is the best!

Finally, like most other things, it is the intangibles that make all of the difference. I can say for sure that every time I go to the Phoenician I leave thinking only of when I can next go again.

Do yourself a favour, book a trip to the Canyon Suites.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

From the moment we arrived at the Canyon Suites, we were in awe. Driving through the Phoenician property up to suites, you will be met with immaculately kept grounds and a backdrop of Camelback Mountain. As you enter you will be met with some of the most attentive and professional property professionals that I have encountered on my travels. The valet, concierges, and desk staff makes you feel as if you are their only priority for your stay. The room was clean, comfortable and the private patio made it a treat to have breakfast with a view of the pool and the mountain behind. Some highlights from the stay include: the beautiful pools, access to Camelback Mountain, the John George restaurant, drinks at the Thirsty Camel patio bar, and again the personal attention of the property professionals. I would highly recommend a stay at the Canyon Suites on your next visit to Scottsdale.

Ventnor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

We experienced both ups and downs at the Canyon Suites.

On the up-side: (1) The location is terrific, particularly if you want to be near great shops and restaurants, as well as Old Town Scottsdale. (2) The entire Phoenician property is beautiful with fantastic landscaping and the lovely cactus garden. (3) It was wonderful to have the separate, quieter pool, dedicated only to the Canyon Suites guests, while also being able to access the Phoenician pools. (4) Ambassador Gary, and Ben (at the Canyon Suites pool), were terrific, friendly and helpful. (5) Complimentary high-speed Internet access and parking were a plus as were the twice-daily visits from the housekeeping staff.

On the down-side: (1) Overall, we found the service at the Canyon Suites to be lackluster, and we cannot see how this is considered a 5-star property. We wondered if they had decreased the number of staff recently. For example, several times, cars, which needed to be parked, were stacked up and/or we found no one available to park our car (despite the included valet parking service). Sometimes staff handling luggage, or even the Ambassadors, were also called upon to deal with the cars. In short, staying at the Canyon Suites was like seeing a play where a few actors are called upon to handle several roles, limiting their ability to handle any one task with aplomb. We even experienced, more than once, pool service being closed, mid-day, because the singular staff person serving the pool area was called away to another part of the property. Hence, if you wanted food or beverages, etc., you were told that the pool service was being closed down early. Overall, the lack of service and attention to detail was disappointing. (2) It was a good thing that we scrutinized our bill before leaving the property. It contained many errors and over-charges. Fortunately, when we brought the errors to the attention of staff members, things were rectified, but no guest should ever be presented with an invoice with incorrect entries and over-charges. (3) The morning and evening refreshments, available in the (gorgeous) lobby of the Canyon Suites are sparse, to say the least. Perhaps we have become too accustomed to staying at true 5-star properties where fantastic treats are made available during the day, but we were very surprised at what was advertised, through the website, as opposed to what we found in the lobby. (4) Although we found the hotel to be generally clean, we were struck by the number of room service trays, with remnants of food, left, for hours, in the hallways. We even found dirty trays and dishes collecting on the floor of the room which housed the ice machine. Again, poor/questionable service. (5) Our Ambassador, at check-in, was aloof, demeaning and obviously unfamiliar with our reservation. (We are purposefully omitting his name here.) Fortunately, we later interacted with other Ambassadors who were much more pleasant!

Overall, we had highs and lows at the Canyon Suites. If they could improve on service, the place could be great, and as such, we might give this resort another try in future. Hence, we can recommend the resort, but with some hesitation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician? Share your experiences!