“Dissapointment at BRIO” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #253 of 963 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Scottsdale, AZ.
“Dissapointment at BRIO”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had Lunch for our Anniversary. Although the Food was average, we were extremely dissapointed with the Service. We ordered salad with the Meal. Had to ask for Bread. Also had to ask twice for Coffee Refill. They served the Hot Lunch, before we even finished our Salad.
The Scottsdale Quarter area, is known as a Upscale area, with several Upscale stores and restaurants, yet BRIO didn't fit that Cliche, especially, during our Meal, they decided to Sweep the Floor directly in front of our table. Very dissapointed. Have been to the Las Vegas Location, and it's service is far superior than the Scottsdale location.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Savor a meal, then stroll the shopping area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed a holiday luncheon in this Grille that is reminiscent of other larger restaurants that manage to give excellent service and fabulous meals in a cozy atmosphere. Valet parking is available at this location in the Scottsdale Quarter, east of Scottsdale Rd and Kierland Commons. The field greens salad and fish of the day (grilled mahi with veggies) were outstanding.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“A CHAIN IS A CHAIN IS A CHAIN IS A CHAIN IS A CHAIN”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

While shopping in the Quarter this last Saturday, I broke my own rule never to patronize chain restaurants: even if the first one is good, when they start expanding, inevitably something is lost, look what happened to NYC’s Smith & Wollensky when they opened all these other places. Anyway, we were hungry and decided to give it a try. It was my first time and right away I liked the setting: high ceilings, tiles, enormous chandeliers, Da Vinci graphics prints on the walls, very nice. The problem is that you don’t go to a restaurant to admire the setting, it’s helpful to be pleasant, but the bottom line is the quality of food and service.

I was unpleasantly surprised to find a paper table cloth on top of the nice fabric one: it’s not something I expected after the grand introduction. It only got worse from there on. The bruschetta quarto came laden with multiple layers of cheese. In its most basic and venerated form, the Italian bruschetta (and BTW, the correct pronuntiation is brus-K-eta) is a toast rubbed with a glove of garlic and sprinkled with good quality virgin olive oil. Often, this is topped with chopped fresh tomatoes and herbs. In our case, the bread was substituted by pizza dough, heavily laden with oil, I actually suspected it was fried. On top, after a tick slice of cheese, we found some sweet, jam-like sauce, fried eggplants, more cheese, some unidentifiable ingredients, some tomatoes on one, sprinkled with a THIRD type of cheese. We abandoned the bruschetta and substituted them with a very drinkable Primitivo. At $28 the bottle, it was a bargain. In all fairness, my crab and shrimp cakes with grilled vegetables were good, but that was the only good thing. My lunch companion had a pasta which was watery and tasteless. As soon as we indicated that we were done eating, the plates were picked up, but the table was not cleaned at all: Leonardo’s graphics on the walls sadly observed the papery mess covered with crumbs and oil spots… The decaf espresso we ordered presented itself as a watery brown solution and I am sure it was not decaf, because it kept me up most of the night.
That will teach me to remember my own rules about restaurants. And no, we are not going there ever again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Tuscan in Arizona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Last week my wife and I were visiting in Scottsdale and friends of ours who live there took us out to dinner at the Brio Restaurant. We enjoy Tuscan cooking so this place was perfect for us. Since they live in Scottsdale and frequent Brio often we knew that we were not going to be disappointed. The decor is quite beautiful, the food is terrific and the service is pleasant. From our evening at Brio I know that we will repay it with a return visit on our next trip to Scottsdale.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“disappointing happy hour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I don't know why they draw such a happy hour crowd, but it is a beautiful restaurant with a nice patio in a great shopping area. Pricey for what it is, in my opinion. The food is fine, just nothing special and I always feel like there was too much fat, or salt or heavy cream, no matter what I order, short of the carpaccio appetizer which I do recommend!

Visited September 2012