“Architectural Genius” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 52 Attractions in Scottsdale
Type: Tours, Cultural
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, City walk sightseeing
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a guided tour through world-renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright's winter retreat and studio, which exemplifies the principles of design he was famous for.
Saint Paul, MN
13 attraction reviews
“Architectural Genius”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Wifey and I always enjoyed the architecture of FLW and our stopover in Scottsdale gave us the opportunity to see one of his works up close and personal. We opted for the 90 minute tour which was discounted on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The tour was great and our guide, Chris, was very knowledgeable about the life and works of FLW and the many struggles he went through in his life. It was fascinating to enter the structures he designed and see how he shaped the visitors impressions with his designs - having low ceilings forcing the guest to sit and then see the expansive views of the garden or slanting the seats in the auditorium to make the visitor more comfortable while encouraging attention to the stage. The gift shop has an expansive collection of FLW books, DVD's and designer accessories inspired by FLW designs. An overall great experience.

• Indonesian first
Greensboro, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Wonderful piece of History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Foundation does an excellent job with the tour. We were able to see a great deal of the property and grounds with photography opportunities along the way. A very concise history was given as we proceeded, which added more interest to the beauty of the architecture. The tour was very "laid back" and left us with a warm feeling and pleasant memories. This should be a "must" visit for anyone in the area.

Sparks, Nevada
3 attraction reviews
“A Timeless Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is such an interesting place to visit. My fascination with Mr. Wright's work was rekindled a several years ago when his 'House Beautiful' collection was shown at our local art museum so Taliesin West was a destination for me. Of course, visiting my niece who lives in Phoenix was a highlight of my trip as well but I was shocked when I mentioned FLW and she only knew of a road by the same name. Her and her girlfriend, who has lived in Phoenix for over a decade, had no idea who he was or anything about his work. I'm hoping to ignite their interest when I post my vacation photos on Facebook. Sadly everyone on our tour was age 50+ so my niece is probably the rule rather than the exception. I wish the next generation realized how relevant his work still is today.

The Insights tour was great. Our tour guide was well-informed and very personable. Unfortunately, we weren't in town on the right day for the nighttime tour or at the right time of year for the desert shelters tour so I'll definitely be back again.

long island, ny
17 attraction reviews
“An interesting tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

As I became a football widow (it was once again the biggest game of the year) I decided to spend my time visiting Taliesin West and I am so glad I did. I only took the one hour tour (which actually took longer, as our guide was knowledgable and glad to share). I most enjoyed the stories about Frank Lloyd Wright and his wife. It gave me much insight into their lives. I would not hesitate to recommend this tour to anyone who enjoys listening to other's stories.

simplify4y@ymail.com
9 attraction reviews
“Getting to know FLW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I loved the fact that we had to take a tour and got to learn so much about Tailesin West and FLW. Our guide was patient will all of us who had lots of questions and she always had a answer. The cost of the tour was well worth the $32/person and should not deter anyone. This was a wonderful experience and love the fact that is a full accredited architect school on site ( along with fellow senior staff who worked with FLW) which still teaches the way that FLW started. Not to be missed! Cannot wait to get to his other sites, such as Falling Water.