“Heaven on earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North

You added Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   10600 East Crescent Moon Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85255 (Troon North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This trip consisted of me, my 2 girls ages 4 and 7, and my friend and her boys, ages 4 and 7. We each stayed in a studio on the timeshare part of the resort.

The resort was amazing. We can not wait to go back next year. The room was clean and absolutely beautiful. The toiletries were luxurious.

The gym was amazing. They provided headphones and each piece of cardio equipment had a personal TV. There were towels and water and a beautiful locker room.

The kids club was awesome. The kids couldn't wait to go every day. They had Wii, XBox 360, a pool table, foosball, ping pong, and tons of games.

The pool areas were amazing as well. As soon as you stepped in, a pool attendant would ask how many, where you would like to sit, and then set up what I refer to as "your bed". They place a fitted towel over the lounge cushion and make a towel into a pillow. They bring a pitcher of water with fruit slices and cups. Every hour, they bring out a special treat. Once it was Edy's Dibs, another time fresh fruit skewers.

Staff everywhere was wonderful. You couldn't open a door for yourself. Even the little ones enjoyed themselves immensely. They couldn't decide if they liked it here or at Disney better. Now that's saying something.

We will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Our family makes an annual visit to the greater Phoenix area. We used to stay at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, but have now become hooked on the Four Seasons. The location is further north than the "main drag" of Scottsdale, but the extra drive is worth is for this quite and serene location. We will continue to return.

Pluses:
Nice accommodations
Great for families - our son begs to go to their Kids' Club
Wonderful and attentive staff

Minuses:
The pool deck needs some serious renovating (concrete and tile crumbling); and a better routine for keeping it clean. The attentive pool staff serves lots of treats to guests (ice cream, fresh fruit, smoothies, etc). As a result, some guests can't seem to keep them out of the pool. There is always "stuff" just all over the place. Cups floating in the water -- yuck!

Bonus:
This trip we found a scorpion crawling around in a light fixture in the bathroom, but the staff was there immmediately to remove it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

The Four Seasons Scottsdale is a gem. On all accounts this is the best of the best. We had an amazing 6 nt. stay. Thank you Four Seasons for creating a wonderful experience for your guests.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

This is my third visit to this luxury desert gem and one word describes this hotel-perfection!! This hotel captures the true feeling of being in a desert atmosphere and the desert theme is captured the moment one enters the property. The staff is incredible and they make every effort to know who you are from the moment you arrive. Each staff member greets you and makes you feel that your happiness and needs are most important to them. The casitas are spacious and the quality of the bedding is fit for a king and queen. The restaurants on the property are wonderful and the food quality and presentation is outstanding. Crescent Moon has a beautiful scenic outdoor veranda for dining. There are unique specially mixed juices each day alonged with skilled preparation of scones, sticky buns and cinnamon rolls. They make fresh yogurt parfait that waters my palate in thinking about it. Lunches have a mix of wonderful unique salads and southwestern items. They are artfully prepared and very tasty. Their hot bread served at lunch is a masterpiece in quality and taste. Dinner in the fine dining restaurant Talavera is a culinary symphony. Mr. Kinn the manager is highly knowledgeable about the food preparation and quality and imparts in guests an excitement about enjoying the preparations. The deserts are unique even using spices such as basil to accent the deserts creating unique tastes for the palate. They make truffles from "scratch" which are better than any european chocolates I have tasted. The main courses are skillfully prepared to carry the theme of the desert yet give a unique creativity to the dishes presentations. The pool area provides the height of pampering. The lounge chairs are luxurious and comfortable and amenities are constantly passed such as cold towels, smoothies, popsicles and small chocolate covered ice creams. The cabanas have a cool mist spraying. The management team in this hotel is committed and dedicated to the highest of standards. Mr. Vincent Parrotta and Mr. David Bernand are two experienced Four Seasons Managers who are now teamed together to take this property to even higher levels. What they could possibly do to make this hotel better will peak my curiousity to want to go back because as far as I am concerned it is truly perfect!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I had an absolutely wonderful stay at the Four Seasons! I was traveling solo to celebrate my 40th birthday. I selected this hotel because of the top-notch reviews I read here (at the time I booked, it was #1 and I'm certain it belongs there). I met several other guests who were repeat visitors. With the caveat that high-end travel is a splurge for me rather than the norm, I'd like to offer my experiences:

Ground transportation: I opted for SuperShuttle, as it is the least expensive option and I didn't need a car as I planned to stay at the resort rather than visit other places in the area. I reserved ahead of time and it was $30 each way (as opposed to $70 for a cab, according to the concierge). It takes a little longer, but not too much. I preferred to spend that extra money on drinks!

Water: I didn't see this mentioned in any other reviews and it's the #1 thing I would want future guests to know: the hotel provides bottled water for free at the front desk and also at the bellstand outside in the front of the hotel. This is really important considering you are in the desert! (The high was over 100 degrees on each day of my stay). What a relief not to have to purchase water for $3 a bottle each time you needed one. Just ask, and you shall receive.

Rooms: I took advantage of the third night free promotion and stayed a total of four nights. After reading most of the reviews here, I was certain I wanted to be on the 2nd floor and so I booked a Sonoran Casita; however, I was upgraded to a Deluxe Casita. My room was not ready when I arrived at 2pm (I had requested 2pm check-in) but was made available around 3:15. I had a beautiful desert/mountain view, and my deck was spacious and lovely. There was even a candle to light at night. The room itself was gorgeous with a wonderful bathroom with separate tub and shower and a double-sink vanity, as well as a walk-in closet. Casitas are arranged similar to garden-style apartment buildings. I believe there are 12 buildings. I was in building 3 which was a 1-minute walk to the main building with front desk/Onyx Lounge/Talavera and spa/fitness center downstairs, also 1 minute from Crescent Moon restaurant and about 3 minutes from the pool.

Activities: I was just in time for the poolside margarita demonstration at 4pm on the day I arrived (a Friday). Apparently this is a weekly event and the salsa demonstration is no longer done. It was a fun experience where I met several fellow guests, and the bartender Sean gets to show off his comedy chops (he was a nice guy too). There was a 3pm wine-tasting on Saturday at Talavera, but that's too early to be "dressed" for the restaurant, if you're enjoying a day of lounging by the pool. I wish they'd schedule it later. The activities seem to take place only once a week and none of the other "classes" mentioned on the website (Stargazing, etc) were offered during my stay, according to the weekly calendar of events i was provided upon check-in. I also joined the guided hike, which was offered Tuesday - Sunday at 6:00a.m. This is great as it's not yet too hot and you can watch the sunrise. The trailhead is about 6/10 mi from the resort and we spent quite a bit of time signing consent forms and getting over to the trailhead. The guided hike only goes a short distance on the Pinnacle Peak trail - you can then continue on your own if you like. (The guide had to get back to teach a 7:30 Pilates class). I opted out but went back the next day on my own and hiked almost the whole trail. I'm not an experienced hiker and found this trail to be fairly challenging (in a good way) as there is lots of up and down. It does not go to the top of Pinnacle Peak, and also it is not a loop trail - you have to turn around and go back the way you came. My advice: take plenty of water with you. One 12-oz bottle from the hotel is NOT enough to get you through this hike, even if you re-fill it at the water fountain at the trailhead. This is a fantastic hike. Go early in the morning before it gets hot. When I returned from my hike I was very hot and thirsty, and I stopped by the spa to grab an apple. I ducked into the fitness center (which I didn't use during my stay) and helped myself to some Gatorade (available alongside water via a dispenser) and a chilled peppermint towel, which was incredibly refreshing and helped me cool down.

Pool: As many others have mentioned, there are complimentary poolside cabanas. These are first-come, first-served and are absolutely wonderful! I spent two days poolside at the "Adults-Only" pool (which is adjacent to the regular pool) and it was incredibly relaxing. When you arrive, a pool staff member will "set up" a cabana or lounge chair for you with a chair cover and a rolled towel for a headrest. They will also provide you with a pitcher of ice water. You can pull shut the "walls" of your cabana on all four sides if you like, though of course most only pull three and leave the front open. There are misters at the entrance to each that are constantly blowing a cool mist. Between that and the ability to keep the sun out with the cabana walls, it almost felt like sitting in air conditioning even when it was 100+ degrees outside! The cabanas also afford privacy if you want it. In addition, during open hours for Saguaro Blossom (the poolside restaurant/bar), which are 11-5, they bring by hourly treats such as: a mini smoothie in a shot glass, a slice of pineapple, a slice of watermelon, Otter Pops (freezer popsicles), chilled peppermint towels.

Dining: As the purpose of my trip was relaxation rather than sightseeing/shopping/running around (I do enough of that at home), I had all meals at the resort with one exception (more on that later). I found that the menus at Crescent Moon and Saguaro Blossom overlap somewhat, and I was surprised to learn that Crescent Moon was not open for dinner, as the website and in-room guide stated otherwise. I was informed that they open for dinner seasonally, but since I'd been told the hotel was at 70% capacity for the weekend I thought they should have been opened. I had two breakfasts and one lunch at Crescent Moon. Of course, the food is very expensive, but you have to go in expecting that. I discovered quite by accident that they offer a very nice large breakfast buffet on Sundays for $25, including juice/coffee. This may sound like a lot, but on the regular menu an omelet is $17 and orange juice is $6, so it makes sense to go for the buffet. It had quite an extensive array of breakfast offerings - take note, this is not a brunch buffet in that no lunch items are served. I was told by a server that this is very popular and that locals come for the buffet. The service at Crescent Moon was very attentive, with servers addressing me by name, remembering me, and providing newspapers, etc. It is lovely to sit outside and have breakfast in the morning. Saguaro Blossom is the poolside bar/restaurant - the staff are super-friendly and nice, the drinks are yummy and pricey, and the food is just OK.

I had dinner on my birthday at Talavera and found the food and service to be exceptional. I gather they are also a popular dinner destination for locals as well. I had the sea bass and a chocolate souffle that was delicious. The souffle and a glass of champagne were offered complimentary for my birthday. My server, Lou was extremely attentive without being intrusive. I sat outside on their terrace and got a table on the railing. My reservation was for 6:30 and although it was still warm outside (and inexplicably, a firepit was going) it was worth it to take in the view of the sunset. Once the sun was down, the temperature became more comfortable for outdoor dining. It was a lovely meal.

In terms of off-site dining, some fellow guests and I had heard repeatedly of a nearby place called Greasewood Flats where locals go for burgers and live music. It's very casual, with firepits and rows of picnic tables (and less expensive than hotel dining). We went there on Saturday night and were a bit disappointed with the crowd (turned out there was a college football game going on) but it was a fun place, the music was entertaining and the food was good. This was less than 5 minutes and the hotel took us there in their shuttle. When we were ready to be picked up, we just called and they came right over.

Spa: I booked a facial and a massage at the spa and enjoyed a buy one, get one half-off promotion. I spoke to one of the staffers in advance by phone, and again upon my arrival to inquire about the various offerings before making my decision. I found that both services were performed at a very high quality. I have regular massages and the one I received at the Four Seasons was much better than what I'm accustomed to (and should be, for the price). Both technicians wished me a happy birthday (they said the info was in the computer!). At the conclusion of each service my water was refreshed and I was offered a chocolate-covered strawberry. The locker room facilities were very nice. I agree with others that the relaxation room is surprisingly plain and small and definitely nothing special , but I didn't spend enough time there for this to affect my overall experience. By the way, if ever you are looking for whole fruit during your stay, there is a bowl of apples on the front desk of the spa (I grabbed one after my hike).

Miscellaneous: Though internet access is available in guest rooms for a fee, there is a business center with internet access that is complimentary for one 30-minute use per day. This seems to go on an "honor system" after hours, as they simply leave a form for you to fill out. However I also stopped in on Monday afternoon and there was no one staffing it. I had no plans for extensive internet time and was very glad I didn't bring a computer just for checking e-mail, minor web surfing, flight check-in, etc. Another note: turn-down service is offered very early - it seems as though they came by between 6-7:30 each evening and I happened to be in my room when they came by on all but the last night. I declined it each time but on the 4th night they came while I was at dinner, and left some interesting info about the next day's activities, etc. In hindsight I wish I'd accepted turn-down service just for the information left in the room.

Overall my experience was extremely high-quality. I found I was able to instantly relax and not think about "the real world." It was a treat to be waited on hand and foot, addressed by name, and feel pampered. On the morning of the day I was to depart, I was enjoying a leisurely breakfast on the patio at Crescent Moon, and I found myself thinking how much I wished I could stay on a little longer. Like several of the people I met there, I would absolutely return. An excellent vacation!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Just came back from a awesome stay at this Resort. I'd been to Scottsdale many times over the years but always stayed near Old Town as I like the shopping, food and nightlife there.

However, I'm now hooked on this area of Scottsdale . . . at least from the Resort perspective; I was there for 3 days for a Conference and didn't get a chance to venture out other than the car ride to/from the airport.

The rooms are beautiful; mine had a City view and and night it was gorgeous. I was able to sit out on the patio (warm with a soft breeze) and enjoy it. The room had a fireplace which, because of the time of year I didn't have a need for but I thought about how cozy it would be to sit in front of in the chillier months of winter.

I LOVED my bed; the linens were luxurious (I would expect nothing less from a top resort like this, however, it was worth mentioning) and I had a great night sleep both nights there.

The waitstaff and room attendants were all great. They always greeted me with a smile and constantly asked if there was anything they could get me or when I looked lost, point me in the right direction.

The food was phenominal. This includes the pre-planned conference food as well as the pool-side restaurant. Every meal left me contemplating the next. The only thing I didn't like was one of the passed hors dovers that had rabbit in it (it looked like a wanton). In between each meeting session there was a snack provided and this included fruit skewers, smoothy shots, mocha shots, cookies etc. All excellent.

We had lunch on the 2nd day in the main restaurant - everyone was raving about it and especially, of all things, the mac and cheese!! I had filet mignon one night and I could have cut it with a fork.

I used the spa service twice - once for an Express Mani-pedi (I thought $85 was too much for the quickie) and once for a massage which was fantastic. Do not stay here without utilizing the spa service.

Anyhow, to wrap this up, there is nothing I would have done differently and highly recommend this facility.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
near Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

If only there were more establishments of this standard - well architected and maintained, efficient and politely friendly staff, quality food and services... definitely a must return even though it is a little further out than comparable establishments. Our seven day vacation did not have a single wrinkle.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North? Share your experiences!