“Caleo is now a Kimpton property - a very good thing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of FireSky Resort & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel

You added FireSky Resort & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
FireSky Resort & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4925 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Formerly Caleo Resort & Spa)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off Staycations
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, CA
“Caleo is now a Kimpton property - a very good thing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

I have stayed at a number of Kimpton boutique hotels in various states and always have thoroughly enjoyed my stay. They are extremely pet friendly - even announcing a welcome board with your pet's name at the reception counter. Dogs are welcome in the lobby and you can take your pet with you when you present for the complimentary wine reception each evening at any Kimpton resort hotel. [You can see that I am a dog lover]

Now onto the Caleo in Scottsdale.

Bring mosquito repellant! There are some ponds and enough standing water around to give you a nasty case of bug bites, which I encountered during my stay. I'm still treating them with Calamine lotion two days later.

This is a a recent acquisition [one year ago] by Kimpton and they are still working out the kinks. There is a little of a lingering musty smell to some of the rooms, which may be related to overgrown landscaping, rendering many of the rooms quite dark. You would want to specifically request an east facing or "sunny" exposure room. It is an older hotel and is accompanied by little glitches [such as my door hinge coming loose, making it impossible for me to shut the door.] Maintenance arrived within minutes to correct the problem.

They are renovating and redecorating the rooms and lobby/reception areas at this time and I viewed the designer board last week and the hotel should be just stunning with all of the new changes planned. The menu at the hotel restaurant/cafe is minimalist, but the salmon was excellent and the service is impeccable.

I hope to return this winter to see and experience the changes.

• Liked — It is a Kimpton property
  • Disliked — Mosquito bites!
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a sunny room and bring insect repellant
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Staten Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

My wife and I recently returned from a four-night stay at the Caleo. We had booked the hotel, despite some of the negative TripAdvisor comments, on the basis of the reputation of the Kimpton Group. We’ve stayed at several and always enjoyed their off-beat approach to the hotel business.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, though there are several cautions of which the traveler should be aware. First, this is a hotel that is obviously in transition. The entire hotel is being redecorated in the funky Kimpton style. The on-premises restaurant was closed while we were there. It is being totally rebuilt, and, if Kimpton maintains its reputation for providing not just standard hotel-fare but a really good restaurant experience, this is a good sign for the future. During our stay, room service was provided and a small restaurant continued limited service. Next, as others have pointed out, a courtyard location is far superior to rooms on the outside perimeter of the hotel. I could understand that traffic noise might be a problem with the outside rooms, but our courtyard room was delightful. There was a spacious terrace, and the only sounds were those of birds and waterfalls.

We appreciated the human scale of this hotel. There was a small conference going on while we were there, but it was unobtrusive. There were no hordes of people in business suits constantly on cell phones and laptops.

The pools and grounds were not of the grand resort style but were beautiful and appropriate for the size of the hotel. Candles throughout the lobby at night were romantic, and gas-fired “camp-fires” on the grounds provided a cozy night-time ambiance (and no odor that I could detect). The spa has now been taken over by Jurlique.

This is not a Ritz-Carlton kind of place, where service is impeccable, but where you pay the price for that attention. For example, there wasn’t a pool boy to set up your chaise; rather, all of the chairs were pre-set with covers and towels each morning. The Caleo staff seemed always friendly and accommodating. Over-all, we had a positive experience, and I would expect and even better one in the future.

By the way, directly across the street from the Caleo is a wonderful restaurant – the Roaring Fork. Founded by a James Beard Award-winning chef, the RF provides inventive southwestern cooking. It was so good that we ate there twice during our short stay.

• Liked — Small resort in convenient location
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a courtyard room!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bethesda, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

The good news: The hotel staff was very pleasant; the lobby was large, comfortable, and attractive; the rooms were large and clean.

The bad news: Check-in time is 3 pm, but we couldn't get into our room until 4:15 pm. Our room service order for breakfast never showed up. Lunch in the hotel restaurant was awful. We had a "chicken salad" that was mostly shredded cabbage and little of that. Four ounces of soda was $3. Parking in midday was very difficult due to the number of meetings being held in the hotel. The hotel is made up of several separate buildings. No elevators for rooms on the second floor, and the hallway of our building had a terrible odor during the two days we were there -- rather like a very strong air freshener attempting to cover a foul odor. The air conditioner in the room was very noisy. The furniture in the room was comfortable, although it was all mismatched. In order to walk to the lobby from our room at the back of the hotel, we had to walk entirely in a busy parking area and past the smelly dumpsters. In fact, my strongest memory of the hotel is of the odors. Even the lobby smelled strongly of the chlorine used in the fountains.

Stayed September 2006
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

I've just returned from a trip to Arizona (Sedona and Scottsdale) and I have to say that my stay at the Caleo Resort and Spa was a major disappointment. Let me count the ways: my room (the hotel did not appear fully booked yet the room I was given was at the very end of the property, with a view of the parking lot...this for $200 night), number 363, smelled musty, moldy, and just overall dirty. I thought that having some fresh air in the room would right the situation...no luck. I thought of leaving the patio door open all night, but thought better of it for security reasons (the room was in the second floor, facing a vacant lot), so had to sleep under the covers all night. I called the front desk to complain but by the time they offered to move me, it was too late and I was too tired.

Earlier that evening, I called the concierge to assist me with a dinner reservation. I left a message but no one called me back. After five hours or so, I ventured out on my own hoping that I could get in without a reservation anyway (Z Tehas, 30 minute wait but worth it. Best margaritas in town). During my entire stay, I don't think I ever saw the concierge...I saw the massive desk by the front lobby, with the nameplate, but unoccupied the entire time.

The piece de resistance was the following morning at breakfast. I asked for a copy of the local paper to read with my morning coffee, and I was told that for 50 cents, I could purchase one from the lobby gift shop. I thought they were kidding! At $200 a night, I would have expected this gratis. Even the Hampton Inn in Buffalo gives you two or three papers for free!

I tried to think of something redeeming about this property and could come up with only one: the free Cadillac Escalade shuttle to nearby attractions (Old Town...). Unfortunately, when I called to have the driver to pick me up after my reservation-less dinner at the Fashion Square, I was told that he had to leave for personal reasons my only alternative was to take a limo service ($10 for four blocks). A rip off, even by NYC standards.

Please think twice about staying here. Overall, all sheen no substance. A pity since other Kimpton Hotels (SF, for instance) are usually pretty good.

• Liked — Complimentary shuttle service to nearby attractions such as Old Town, Fashion Sq Mall
  • Disliked — Too many to list
  • Tips/Secrets — This hotel is not worth it on value for money. Suggest to consider other properties in the area.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

I stayed here for my birthday weekend and it was wonderful! They are changing all the rooms right now, renovating the hallways and have this really cool new carpet! I can't wait to come back when it's finished. They have a sandy beach pool and I hung out there the whole weekend. Poolside service is prompt and everytime I called the front desk I talked to a girl who seemed to be working 24/7 but she was always upbeat. And I even got to see a wedding from my patio, it was SO BEAUTIFUL! I think I'll come back to celebrate next year!

• Liked — nice size room for 4 people
  • Disliked — no complaints!
  • Tips/Secrets — don't make plans, just let the day happen
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
Manchester,England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

I booked this hotel with the expectation of a romantic getaway for a week. The booking prcess was a trial to say the least. I thought that a hotel with a good pedigree should be able to treat its geusts with more respect.
After reading the other reviews i can only agree with the majority on them in my total disapointment at the whole sorry experiance.

• Liked — very little
  • Disliked — the rudeness of the reservation staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont do it
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

After reading some good and bad reviews here on Caleo, I was a bit worried about our reservation. But I am so glad that we stuck with it!! We got a special rate of $89/night for the Courtyard room and I would have gladly paid the normal $159/night for it!! The hotel staff is young and very friendly and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was great. The pools was great! We especially loved the lagoon pool where we could go under the bridge to an area that was under the tree shade and out of the sun.

The rooms were so nice and the bed was incredibly comfortable! We had a king on the first floor. We had no issues with the "low light" that lots here complained about. The only time we had any comments about the lighting was over the coffee/fridge area. That light is very inadequate and incredibly hard to turn on. But if that's our only complaint we are doing great!! We loved the bathrooms!! Big and roomy with everything we needed and more. The complimentary wine social hour from 5-6pm daily was such a classy touch! We loved that and partaked every day.

Advice: If you want to go to a resort with 1,000 rooms and not really have any personalized attention, do not stay at Caleo. If you want to go to a place in which it's small, but spacey, lush with trees and not in the middle of the desert heat (our visit was during the summer heat between 112-118!!), and the hotel staff recognized you as a guest and took care of your every needd...then Caleo is highly recommended!! Be sure to get a Courtyard room or higher, because I would not want a patio room and be stuck staring at cars and hearing all of the noise off the street.

We did not eat in the restaurant or use the spa, so I cannot comment on either.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not book a patio room. Only a courtyard or above
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to FireSky Resort & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!