“Relaxing resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Indianapolis
“Relaxing resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

View nice hotel, cute gift shop and walking distance to an outdoor mall and resturants and Starbucks. Large resort with plenty of activites.. put-put was fun! (just watch out for cactus).
Hotel staff was ok, not the friendliest I've been... but they drove us in a golf cart to our room, that was nice, we didn't have to walk.

Good for older couples and persons with disabilities.

• Liked — nice grounds
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

What was good - The front desk staff was exceptional. All but one of the poolside employees were helpful as well. The number of pools made it unnecessary to hassle with reserving a lounge chair at 8am like most places.
That being said - this is very definitely NOT a 4 star property. This is a converted motel (probably converted 15 years ago) that needs to get updated desperately. The rooms are small, dark, MUSTY smelling with old, worn carpeting, linens and furniture. If you've ever stayed in a motel you'll remember the old school heating/ac units under the window that are very loud...that's what the rooms have here. The noisy unit kicks on & off all night. Those ridiculous, noisy things totally underscore the quality of the rooms here: Antiquated, in serious need of an upgrade and much more typically found in a 2-star property - not a "4-star resort".

• Liked — The many swimming pools.
  • Disliked — The horrible musty "motel style" rooms.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northern Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I have so many complaints, I'm not even sure where to begin...The trip was a surprise for my partner's B-day and we had our 8 yr. old and 4 month old baby with us. We both travel for business and pleasure on a very regular basis as we both own our own businesses. My partner stayed in the car while my son & I went in to register. We were not greeted but asked "Can I help you?" It was not a good first impression. We were put in an upstairs room. On the way up we noticed cracked and chipping paint and it reminded us of a motel. Although the room was spacious, it was extremely outdated, the TV was smaller than my computer screen, the air conditioner turned on and off constantly, and the guard rail outside of our room was loose (which made me very nervous traveling with children.)

On 5 SEPARATE occasions our keys would not work in the lock. The 1st time I went to the front desk to get a different key, I was asked by the registration supervisor (who was the one who had checked us in earlier) for my photo id. When I told him he had checked me in, he responded by saying "Well I've checked in about 100 people since then." Each time the key wouldn't work, one of us would have to sit outside with the baby while the other one ran to the front desk. People were not apologetic, but would ask if the key got wet or was near a cell phone - which they weren't. Eventually a guy came to check the lock, but it happened another 2 times. We were late for the Diamondbacks game on Sun. because of it.

On several different occasions we asked staff questions about different things and no one seemed to know anything. Two people couldn't even tell us where the showers were. Not one person seemed to be smiling, no one was friendly, housekeeping threw away our Sunday paper which we had on our table in the room and it was the most unpleasant hotel stay we've had for as long as I can remember. The only enjoyable thing was the pool.

Had the customer service even been sub par, the tacky room would have been easier to overlook, but the whole experience was awful. We
paid about $100 per night through Priceline and feel it was not money
well spent and in hindsight would have spent double that price somewhere else to get the kind of service we have grown to expect from a 4 star facility. I wish I had read the reviews of your
"resort" prior to checking in so I would have known what to expect -they're not very good fyi.

If they would invest as much into their rooms as you do their grounds, have staff attend orientation so they can answer guest’s questions and train them on having good customer service skills. Then, and only then, will they be a 4 star resort.

Superb customer service is the most important thing any business can have.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Everything else!
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alamo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2007

We booked this this property through "Name Your Price" with Priceline. It was advertised as a priceline "four star" and we paid $150 per night (no resort fee). I definitely would NOT recommend this property if you are traveling on leisure or with a family.

We were with our children. During our stay, there was a large convention in house and the management closed the pool for an entire day (until 2pm). As you can imagine, for children, on Spring Break in the desert, this was disappointing. In addition, the main restaurant which was supposed to be open for lunch and dinner was closed our entire stay. One night we had to eat in the bar area and it was really unpleasant.

I also felt the rooms were okay, but definitely more along the lines of a 2 or maybe 3 star. Definitely musty and the room was dark. I felt the hotel did maintain the grounds nicely and it would have been an acceptable hotel if I were on business alone. But with the main pool closed and restaurant closed it was not a good vacation choice.

The other thing that was really upsetting is that I did complain to the Rooms Division Manager. There was a lack of any response or opportunity to check out early or move rooms or anything... the hotel basically said because we booked through Priceline there was nothing they would or could do. So again, that was a disappointment. I felt the hotel should have offered some concession due to closing the entire main pool and restaurant. I probably won't book again through Priceline because I feel the hotel was really misrepresented by stating it was a four star. It really should be a three star at best.

Overall, I would try and find something better in Scottsdale, especially if you have any leisure time.

• Liked — Location was good in Scottsdale
  • Disliked — Not a family hotel, lack of management response
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

We booked the Scottsdale Plaza Resort through Hotwire and couldn't have been happier! I thought that because we had booked through Hotwire, we'd get the bottom of the barrel room. I was completely surprised when we walked into our gorgeous room.

First of all, the place is HUGE! There are 5 pools and 3 whirpools. It is so quiet and peaceful there. We never heard anybody through the walls or ceilings.

Our room (410) was beautifully decorated. The decor was Southwest and there were mirrors everywhere. I suspect that has to do with the room being dark and it was. The shower was like being in a cave. However, it was very clean and the minbar was stocked. I don't recommend taking anything from it considering everything costs a lot! The beds were very comfortable.

We decided to spend one day by the pool and went to the Villa Pool. We thought the Main Pool would be too crowded. It was very quiet and we pretty much had it to ourselves. They are sticklers about cleanliness there as the pool maintenance was there several times.

I would highly recommend the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Their $15 a day amenity fee is a bit stiff but that was included in our hotwire price of $102 a day.

I miss it already!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and cleanliness
  • Disliked — The price of extras
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

I'm a frequent world traveler and found this hotel nowhere near as bad as some previous reviewers. And, I want to let discriminating travelers know what to expect at the same time.

First, you have no worries with the location. Its in the heart of nicer Scottsdale, around all of the other resorts. Old Town Scottsdale is a couple of miles down the road and the neighborhood is upscale.

I found the grounds to be immaculate, the service friendly and competent. There were problems with keys being made for guests when I arrived but the bellboy's keys worked and they brought me my own key within about 15-20 minutes after I arrived.

The only thing "wrong" with this hotel is its decor. The rooms are immense and immaculately maintained examples of hotel/resort rooms from 1980. Cream-colored walls. Cottage cheese ceiling. Color scheme of forest green and peach. Floral bedspreads. Fiberglas bathtub. Envision a very big and very nice guest room in the home of The Golden Girls.

I found the bed sensational. Very firm and great for the back. Yes the air conditioner is under the window and you must close your drapes otherwise people walking by the walkway outside your room can see in. But I found no problem with mold spores etc as others have reported.

So, if you're wanting a grand 5-star, or an ultrahip resort ambience in Scottsdale, this place would probably disappoint you. I guess I'd be upset if I paid top dollar and ended up here. Through Priceline, however, I got a room here for $99 on a night when things were going for $159-300 elsewhere and found it perfectly acceptable. The staff was great, the room was very quiet and the nostalgia was actually a little fun.

And as for the resort fee...I haven't seen it mentioned that includes all gratuities to the staff. My bellman refused to let me tip him for bringing my bags to the room, saying the fee covered that.

So all in all not a place to fear and a great place for older people who don't care about "hip and cool" or those seeking comfortable accommodations and are on a budget.

• Liked — Large rooms, great bed
  • Disliked — Decor is dated
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bellevue, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

We just returned from a girls' weekend in Scottsdale where we stayed at the Scottsdale Plaza.

Location was our top priority and this is in a good spot, right on Scottsdale Road. Everything else was just so-so.

Upon check in, we were able to choose between three different available room locations. We picked the one closest to the pool for convenience. The room was much smaller than it seemed online, and it wasn't as updated as the advertising would have promised. It was dark. Again, not big things since we didn't intend to spend a lot of time there.

The food available at the bar near the pool was mediocre at best. We waited quite a while to get served. When we were, our salads appeared to have been prepared much earlier that day. I think that they do a massive prep in the morning and just throw covers on the salads until serving. They seemed like airport deli food.

The rest of the stay was uneventful. Upon checkout, we saw that the staff had a hard time calculating our bill. (We had refused the optional newspapers.) The desk girl kept going to some back room and getting a manager's help to try and credit us the few dollars. It never did work out right, but we were late and didn't want to quibble over $4.50. Note: the newspapers still arrived at our door every day even though we had asked to skip that.

One other minor thing is that we rented a movie in the room. It was advertised on screen at $7.99, but when we checked out we were charged $10.99 plus tax.

You can see that these things are minor but they added up to be a medicore experience. I think that the resort is aging and that the staff does their best to put up with the complaints by getting us out the door as soon as they can. They should really add the "resort fee" of $15.00 into the price of the room instead of pretending they have a lower room rate than they do.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs updating
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!