“Short People Beware” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Shawnee On Delaware
“Short People Beware”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I really liked this place, despite a few little problems like $13 a day internet fees and bugs in the bathroom (the staff was as upset as I was). The rooms are lovely, the pool area luxe, and the public areas nicely furnished. But the architect who built this place should loose his license. All the many buildings of guest rooms are designed in the Spanish mission style with arched colonnades protecting walkways in front of the rooms. But this design moron built crowns ringing the columns jutting out at about five feet in height. If you're short, especially wearing a cap or sun hat, you're in danger. Round the corner going to your rooms and wham--out of nowhere something knocks you on the head. After a few days of this you'll either have a black and blue forehead or lean not to cut corners. But it is a painful lesson.

Room Tip: Since the grounds are very spread out and rooms are contained in many buildings, you should request...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I booked using Priceline at 75 dollars a night. For that price that the resort was amazing. The pool area is very good, and kid friendly. The pool also has a bar for refreshments. The rooms were pretty good for the most part. The resutraunt had very good food, at least from our experience. The resort is close to several golf courses. Also, if you stay here you will be very close to several nice resturants. If I have the chance I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments – we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are pleased that you took advantage of some of our great amenities, including the pool and restaurant, and hope that you will consider staying with us again soon. Thank you again for visiting The Scottsdale Plaza Resort.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival at this hotel I was treated as a nuisance to the awful woman behind the counter. Had it not been 1 am (or 4 am at home) I would have walked out.
Throughout my stay I was met many times with the same frustrating attitude.
Customer service is not a priority to anyone on staff. Hostesses told us the breakfast buffet was private when it was not. A waitress did not return with my credit card to pay for my lackluster meal for twenty minutes.
Sure, the rooms are clean and the bar staff is nice. That is all the positive I can offer.
The bell staff is also rude.
I am not a high maintenance traveler. I have had great experiences in hostels around the world. If you don't care how you are treated then this place can suffice but I found it mediocre at best and all around subpar due to the horrific customer service starting with the check in counter through the wait staff.
So let down.

• Stayed May 2013
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
This is extremely disappointing to read. We absolutely value customer service and make it our number one priority. It is unfortunate to hear you were displeased, but we appreciate the feedback. We will use this as an example for our team in order to provide the best service possible to all of our guests. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We hope we have an opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I booked this hotel in March of 2013 via Priceline and at first was a little taken back by the reviews especially because I still paid nearly $200 per night, and some of them weren’t so great. When I arrived, I actually asked to upgrade my room from a standard one to a room in one of the newer section of the hotel and was very happy with my accommodations overall.

As people said, the facilities themselves are very nice and the resort itself is very huge, I think there are 6 pools all together. The section where I stayed reminded me more of a condo than a hotel, with it’s own separate parking lot and I basically had a pool and hot tub to myself the whole time I was there right out my back door as it was not a busy time of year there.

I did not eat at the fancier restaurant at the resort but did have a meal and a few beers at the pub connected to the main part of the hotel. It was nice to have a place to get a drink on-site, but the food was not great to be honest. Overall there service here and the staff of the whole resort were very pleasant. At the main pool area there is also a cabana where you can get lunch and drinks while you hand out poolside.

The resort is on the main strip in Scottsdale, but on the edge of what I’d call the main downtown area. You couldn’t walk from there to the bars and restaurants (unless you REALLY wanted to) but the cab ride is under 10 minutes and cheap. I was actually waiting for a cab one night outside the lobby and one of the hotel employees gave me a lift in their courtesy van instead for free.

Finally, the room I got was very nice but remember I upgraded from a standard and people seem to have had an issue with those. My room had a huge living area with couch/flat screen/fireplace, little eating nook, and a patio outback that was right next to the hot tub and pool. Again, this room reminded more of a condo. One issue were the beds, as they were VERY basic and may be the worst I’ve had in a hotel.

Overall, this isn’t a 4-star resort, but 3.5 more like it. I would stay here again, but would also pursue other options with a little more luxury, which is what I had expected when booking a 4-start resort in Scottsdale on Priceline at nearly $200/night. My recommendation is to not stay in a standard room, but try and upgrade if you can, I think it cost me $20 more a night.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade from a standard room and if you are older you should try and stay in an accommodatin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and took advantage of some of the great amenities we have to offer. We are always looking for ways to improve upon our guests’ experience and very much appreciate your feedback; we will be taking your suggestions under consideration and hope for the opportunity to serve you in the future. Thank you for choosing The Scottsdale Plaza Resort.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I noticed most of the reviews complain about the rooms being dated, well they are dated, but are still 100% clean and functional. Throughout my stay the service in all departments was excellent, the grounds were beautifully kept, there are amenities for everything and the convention services facilities were completely comprehensive. For only $129 a night in the heart of Scottsdale, I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. I cannot get over how clean and well-kept our room was, kudos to housekeeping! Restaurant hostesses were very helpful and knowledgable about the surrounding area. The golf-cart assisted valet were friendly and did not let you walk anywhere, since it is a large property, many of the older patrons from our conference greatly appreciated this extra step. The gift shop attendant was one of the friendliest women I have encountered and filled me in on extra amenities I would not have otherwise known about. I feel it is very rare to find a place with excellent service in all departments, but this place greatly exceeded my expectations. Do not let the initial "first look" of the rooms fool you, this is a great place to stay if you want to be taken care of. The staff made my stay memorable this trip, and I would come back for these reasons alone. This is what I call hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013
We are delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience with us. We work very hard to keep our property and rooms clean and comfortable, and are happy that you found them satisfactory. We are also glad that you experienced such great customer service, which is a top priority. We hope that you will return to stay with us again very soon; thank you for choosing The Scottsdale Plaza Resort.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for several days in mid-April. The property is a bit dated, the rooms were just average. The pools were clean, the gym small. Staff was friendly, but nothing about this property stood out. I would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We thank you for choosing The Scottsdale Plaza Resort and apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We thank you for your feedback and appreciate the opportunity to improve our services and ensure that our guests have the best possible experience at our hotel. We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and experiencing all that our property has to offer.
Ste Marguerite du lac Masson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Beautiful property, well appointed room, and couldn't ask for cleaner. Beautiful pool, great and reasonably priced restaurant and staff that just make you smile. From the reception desk to the grounds staff, to the wait staff in the restaurant, you could tell that customer service came first and that staff were encouraged to make guests feel welcome.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!