“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place is huge! One of my favorite resort's in Scottsdale, I am unsure of why it is listed in Paradise Valley..but that's besides the point. The location is prime- many great restaurants are located on the Scottsdale Rd. right across from the resort. The restaurant on property is nice, nothing to fancy- feels more like a sports bar but they make killer drinks and an amazing french onion soup. The rooms have a very southwestern feel (go figure) and are spacious with all the amenities you would hope for. I had a charge on my bill for wifi which I did not use- at first they said it would remain but after speaking with the manager my bill was fixed. The guest is almost always right, almost =)
Keep up the good work guys!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Nebraska, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We recently stay at this resort for a family member's wedding. We were very disappointed when we arrived to hear about all of the extra's we had to pay for and the penalties for not complying with requests. First off, the Wifi is $12/day and that is generally included at other places. We didn't buy the Wifi and nobody in my family knew how to access it because we would rather not risk our kids getting on and have to incur the charges. To our surprise, we were charged for it when we checked out. We didn't use it at all, but the gentleman who was checking us out said that sometimes wireless devices connect automatically. Why should we be blamed or charged for that?? As you exit the pool areas, the gates have signs that request you leave your towels in the pool area. In actuality, if you take the towel to your room, they charge you $10. It would be nice if the sign inferred there would be a monetary penalty for non-compliance with their request. The first night we were at the resort, we gathered at a very nice pool that was not the main more heavily used pool. Starting the second day, a company reserved the pool for the rest of the trip. OK, our favorite spot was now off limits, but the sad thing is, there were rarely any company employees at the reserved pool, most of them hung out at the main pool! The beds were very hard for my taste, but that is just my opinion, to others it may be just right. The fridge in the room could only be unlocked with the minibar key and if you dared take out the items to fill it with your own, it is my understanding you would be charged for the items you took out, even if you merely sat them on the counter and didn't actually consume them so we bought styrofoam coolers and left their fridge alone. It was a very nice resort though and staff seemed to work constantly to keep it that way. They were all very courteous and even offered a ride if they passed and you were walking. The restaurant in the lobby was nice enough but offered wonderful entertainment in the form of a musician they had just started booking that weekend. The breakfast buffet was nothing special and very overpriced, in my opinion. The major complaint I have is that we were there for a family function and the bride booked "a block of rooms". However we were all spaced very far apart from each other. Not sure if that was an accident or purposeful action, but it made being together a challenge.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with family, make sure you demand to be together if possible. The grounds are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We appreciate your stay with us and regret to hear it was not satisfactory. We apologize for any confusion and misleading incidents. The Internet does not connect automatically, and we certainly do not charge for that. We will follow-up with our stuff to confirm they are aware. We previously had sign out sheets for pool towels in order to keep them inside the designated area, but we have since eliminated all signs and fees. The pool near your room was assigned to a group as a meeting space but was not intended to be private. We will be sure to be more clear on the signage in the future. We do work hard to maintain our property and provide excellent customer service. Thank you for your valuable feedback. We will definitely use this information to better serve guests in the future.
Reno Nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I travelled to Scottsdale with my two teenage sons for Spring training as we do every year. Staying at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort this year was a real blast. The rooms were large, the pools were beautiful. You can eat lunch by the pool and not break the bank! The Fitness Center is a great place to workout while away from home. I noticed they have exercise classes you can attend but did not attend myself. The staff is the best in Scottsdale. They were all so friendly and make a point to remember you by name. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed there recently because we had some friends getting married there. The wedding gazebo was adorable. The entire property was very nice and well kept. The pools were amazing and we spent most of our trip in them. We had a standard room with 2 beds and it was huge. We didnt pay for the suite but had some friends that did and it was really big. I was impresssed with the accomdations and most of the staff. The front desk accommodated our early check in and the restaurant,bar and housekeeping staff were all polite and good at their jobs. There were a few girls working at the pool bar who I felt didnt really have a clue but you cant let a few confused girls ruin your vacation. The food was amazing and reasonably priced. The pools didnt have a closing time so we stayed out most nights pretty late and security didnt seem to mind. All in all, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here during a springboard diving meet. We were pleasantly surprised by the high quality of southwestern room furniture and the beautiful pool with a water fall. Even though the grounds needed a little TLC with the grass being worn we enjoyed a few picnics outside and the wonderful amenities. Great family hotel with exceptional ambiance!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this resort after reading reviews when I got the room for $100 on Priceline. The grounds and main lobby are nice. The pool is ok, I would compare it to a normal hotel, not a 'resort'. Our room was a good size but smelled musty and damp. There was not much natural light in the room either. The room itself could have used some updating and everything in the room was way overpriced. It was ok for one night but I wouldn't have wanted to stay much longer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced with our guest rooms. We will certainly be using your comments to improve our services and ensure that these problems are solved. We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and hope you will return to The Scottsdale Plaza Resort soon.
Yuma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are a bit dated, but the property itself is well maintained with beautiful grounds. The main pool and hot tub is awesome! The kids loved it! They even had some floats and pool toys for the kids to play with! The rooms are accessed from outside, not from a hallway, but many hotels in Arizona are that way. The hotel has a stock of snacks, drinks and liquor available for purchase in your room. (For ridiculous prices, so tell the kids to leave them alone if you don't want to pay...) When we checked in, I requested a room near the pool for the kids. I didn't think to specifically request 2 double beds. So we got everything unloaded and... the room only had 1 king bed. I called and they sent a bellman with a new keycard to a room with 2 double beds. (So ask for it at check-in if you want 2 double beds.)

The bathroom floor tile had cracks in it, and there was some hair in the corner from a previous guest, but overall the room was clean. The bed and pillow was very comfortable. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from traffic.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!