“Great resort - Bad Rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7200 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85253   |
Ranked #58 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Ft. Worth
“Great resort - Bad Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The resort was beautiful with plenty of amenities and the staff was very friendly. The food served at our conference was done very well. My only complaint is the mattress used for the rooms were very uncomfortable. Plus I didn't like the shampoo and conditioner, it smelled bad. Also the price of $199 a night was not a good value for the room, you were paying for being at the location and resort. I would compare the room quality to La Quinta or Clarion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We appreciate your feedback and apologize the room did not meet your expectations. While we work hard to provide excellent service and well-kept grounds, our goal is to provide positive guest experiences both on property and within the rooms. We will use this information in order to make future adjustments at the resort and better serve our guests. Thank you, again.

445 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The best way to sum up the Scottsdale Plaza Resort is: It's the 3 star hotel that somehow snuck into your Hotwire/Priceline search results as a 4 star. I had contemplated upgrading to a suite, but I didn't. I have noticed a trend here that the better reviews seem to be made by those who stayed in a suite/casita, and the less favorable are the ones that stayed in what basically amounts to a motel (exterior entry, tub/shower are separate from sink/closet area. The grounds are beautiful, I will say that, but unfortunately this is a "hotel" and not camp ground, so I can care less how fabulous the grounds are when I am in the room. I live in Chandler and love my Scottsdale staycations, for this particular trip I had my best friend in town for Madonna. I felt horrilbe how much I brag about my stays at Hotel Valley Ho, Doubletree, Montelucia, Princess, etc, and then this is where I took him. Eek! The hotel WANTS to be 4 stars, I will give them that. The minibar offerings alone and their mini bar prices reflect that. I was also charged double each night for internet, I used the hotel website to contact them and never heard back, but when I called they took the charges off without an hassle. Also, we had won pit tickets for Madonna and needed to pick them up at the box office. The box office at US Airways Arena closes at 8pm, but we knew the Material Girl wouldn't take the stage until 10:30pm so figured we'd be leasurly and show up as we pleased. We contacted the concierge to try and find out if they had the inside scoop on the box office and to see if this was going to be a problem. I have worked in 4 and 5 star properties in Vegas, BFF is a concierge in Vegas, if either of us had received that call we would have done our best to find out and put our guest's concerns to rest. It was a quarter after 7, we had just drove in from Vegas, and if we had to be there at 8pm to get our vip bracelets, we would have had to forgo showers. Our call to the concierge (or perhaps it was afterhours, so it was front desk) met with "I don't know, mmm, ya, sorry." Not very 4 stars, and so we sat in our room, both of us on our cell phones, calling every phone number we could find for the arena. The lack of help from the front desk at that time didn't phase us, but in retrospect it would have given me the opportunity to say how AMAZING the service was, regardless of the outdated furniture/carpet/drapes. Unfortunately it was lack luster. :/ Would I go back? YES! Well, assuming I booked a 4 star in Scottsdale on Hotwire (non refundable) and ended up here. Would I be happy to return?? NO!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. Hosting a friend is an important task, and we regret to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. It's also disappointing to hear the service was anything less than exceptional. Our four-star rating reflects our on-property amenities including multiple dining locations, full-service spa, fitness center, room service, property size, pools and room accommodations. We are always working to exceed guest needs, so we appreciate the opportunity to make adjustments based on your input. We hope you had a wonderful time at the Madonna concert.
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My room rate was $169, tax on that was $23.95 (15% is high, but I don't vote in Arizona, and it's easy to soak people who don't live there. So, while that's high, and would make me less likely to go to Arizona if I wasn't on business, the tax is not in the hotel's control).

Let's move on then:
We then have a $17 per day resort fee
a $8 portage charge
a $2 per day maid gratuity
a $12.95 per day internet charge, and
a $2.54 tax on the internet use.

So, my $169 per night room rate balooned to over $244 per night when all the above were added in.

When you read the fine print on the $17 resort fee, that's supposed to cover carrying one's bags. So, why another $8 "porterage charge"? And, while I always tip housekeeping, I hate to be told to do so, and does the maid get to keep ALL of the $2 per day?

Moving on:
I ordered a beer in the bar. Happy hour price was $3.30 including tax. I gave the bartender (NJ name plate) $5. He then moved on to take another couple's drink order, and brought their drinks back. I was still standing by the bar. He looked at me, like, yes? I said, change? he acted, like oh yeah, I forgot. Sure. No tip for you.

The rooms themselves are OK. Spacious enough. Beds could use some updating, and the HVAC system is very noisy (light sleepers will want earplugs).

And, for $12.95 per day, you should expect the internet to work. Not. Very spotty in places.

I HATE these kind of places. The more these places get ratted out the better. If I have a business meeting at a place like this again, I'd find another hotel nearby and drive to the meeting. The Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn Express are much better, have free internet, and at least at the Hilton's I've stayed in, the breakfasts are pretty good too.

Room Tip: Hard to say. Away from Scottsdale Boulevard probably best, as its a very busy road
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The feedback on your stay is incredibly disappointing to hear. We apologize your needs were not met during your stay. The resort fee covers parking, access to our pools, access to our fitness center, in room coffee, free local calls, incoming faxes and a daily newspaper delivered to your room. No gratuities (porterage or maid) are ever mandatory. However, group room reservations are handled differently than leisure guests. Room rates are contracted individually and vary based on the needs and agreements of the group coordinator. We have also recently upgraded our internet property-wide to resolve any problems with wireless connectivity.

While your feedback was unfortunate, we do appreciate your input and will use it to better serve future guests. Thank you for staying with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort, and again, thank you for your follow-up.
oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I did not stay long so I was unable to enjoy the amenities and spa. However, I had a double queen room that was updated and remodeled, but honestly I thought smelled like a old smoker room. The front desk clerk said it was a non smoking room and it didn't smell like recent smoke, just the old dingy smell. I thought about asking for a room change but didn't want to go all the way back to the front desk and start over. You can find better in Scottsdale.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We regret to hear about the odor in your room. We would have been happy to move you, and we appreciate the feedback. We will make sure to document your concerns in order to prevent further experiences such as this in the future. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you have the opportunity to come back for a better experience.
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A nice place to stay for business meetings etc. They seem to cater more to conferences than a family vacation but it is still pretty nice. I am sure there are fancier places in the Scottsdale area but this is nice for the money.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for the kind remarks. We are definitely known for our group business and meeting space, but we enjoy families as well. Our pools, spa, fitness center, and restaurants are catered toward both family and business travelers. Plus, having a large property gives everyone plenty of space. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you visit us again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here as part of a group, as I expect most folks do. Property is quite large and spread out; a golf cart drove us to our room and wish they had been around to take us back and forth. Easy to get lost. Rooms were also large but quite dated, though they had INCANDESCENT (yes, you read that right) lights!! The bed in my room sagged in the middle. Nice patio. Very friendly staff, good checkin experience. Our company folks are evenly split between Marriott and Hilton points; neither of us was happy that SP has no affiliation unless you want to go back. The banquet folks did an incredibly good job with the food and banquet service, thank you!

The hotel went to the nickle and dime school of revenue; I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT when the TV always comes on to the Carnival Barker hawking movies at a VERY LOUD volume. Even if turned off for a moment it dumps you back to the "convenient in-room movie channel." PLEASE don't figure we're all chumps who will pay for a movie if you endlessly market for us to press the menu button. A nice tray of snacks in the room but no thanks for a $3 pack of gum or another $3 if you want better coffee. If you're thirsty, the $6 bottle of water beckons ... or if you want a lip balm or lotion there's a convenient package there for another $10. Thank goodnes the mini-bar was locked.

Room Tip: Get something close to the convention center if you have a business meeting ... take comfortable sho...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
We regret to hear you did not have a more enjoyable experience with us. Our bellman are definitely available throughout your entire stay to provide transportation to all property amenities. We apologize if that was not communicated to you. We do pride ourselves in being a locally owned and operated resort, so unfortunately we do not have a corporate affiliate. However, we hope to reward our guests by providing the Plaza Preferred Program with a valuable point system. Thankfully our staff provided you with the excellent service our guests deserve. We will take all of your concerns and feedback into consideration. Thank you again for your stay.
tucson,az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The rooms are old and dingy. Beds need to be replaced. They sag in the middle. Rooms and bathrooms need a facelift. Walls are so thin that i could hear entire conversations. In fairness, the staff I dealt with we're very pleasant. I got the room for a deal with Priceline and still feel I paid too much. Not worth more than $100. Oh, there is a resort fee of $17' too.

If you are on a budget and can get a good deal, just know what you are getting before you go ahead and book. It is rated 4 stars on Priceline. There's no way that this is 4 star property.

I will not return or recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We definitely work hard to provide quality customer service, so we are thankful our staff provided you with such. We are disappointed you did not have a more enjoyable experience with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort, but we will document your concerns in order to make future adjustments.

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!