“Great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Lehi, Utah, United States
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Great place with great staff. The food here is very good as I was here for a convention and they feed us several meals and they were all good. I don't care for the location as there is not much near by if you don't have a car.

• Stayed January 2013
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Great feedback, Dave. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your input. We appreciate the positive remarks and will pass them on to our staff. We hope you'll come back soon and stay with us at your leisure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We just stayed 3 nights at the executive lodge on the property. The accommodations were great--but what really sets this hotel apart are the grounds. Everything was so pristine, the flowers were beautiful, the grass green and well kept, the pool was a real treat. We loved taking a whirlpool and playing volleyball in the pool. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wow. What a great review! Thank you for your feedback and your positive thoughts on our property. With our own in-house landscape team, we are able to keep the grounds immaculate and maintain beautiful grass and bloom all year long. We're glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for choosing The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Please come back and see us again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I'm just stayed at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort as a speaker at a conference and, as someone who travels 150+ nights a year, was incredibly disappointed in the lack of empathy, ownership, and follow through by the resort staff, in particularly, Linda at the front desk.

While there we some forgivable headaches (some serious confusion by the front desk at check-in regarding the payment of my stay) the catalyst for writing this review was the state of the ironing board in my room and the failure of the staff the remedy the issue. The board stand had rusted apart and, as a result, could not be used. In my first attempt to have it replaced, I notified the front desk of the issue and kindly requested a replacement. Upon returning to my room at dinner time the broken board remained. I again contacted the desk (now 12 houra later) and was assured that housekeeping would bring a replacement immediately. I return from dinner three hours later and guess what...still the broken ironing board. Being late in the evening, I decided that I would "deal" with finding a way to iron my clothes in the morning (which, by the way, a towel on the in room table makes for a satisfactory substitute, but is NOT acceptable when you're going to hit me with resort fees, automatic housekeeping gratuities, and portage charges). When I went to check out in the morning, I brought it to Linda's attention that my ironing board was never fixed (coincidentally she was the person I notified the morning before). She offered no apology, took no ownership, and simply stated, "Oh, well I TOLD them to fix it yesterday." Seriously? I don't care what you told "them". It didn't happen and I, your guest, was incredibly inconvenienced. Someone needs to work on training Linda to show a little compassion and whoever "they" are (I assume engineering or housekeeping) on the importance of follow-through.

What can I say otherwise? Food at the resort was "ok" and the weekday breakfast buffet was a good value with attentive service.

The resort is close to a Starbucks and Ruth's Chris, but you'll need to drive about a mile or so in either direction to find more restaurants. That can be slightly annoying if you're a business traveler who came in on their airport shuttle ($23/way with gratuity - not bad!)

The overall room appointment was typical of a mid-scale motel and aside from the ironing board, you could see small areas of mildew forming on the walls of the bathroom.

In a nutshell, would I stay here again, no way. There are plenty of other choices in the area that can offer the same or better accommodations, meet the price point, and have a staff that takes ownership in resolving issues. I recommend finding another choice for your next trip to the area.

• Stayed December 2012
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We regret to hear your stay with us did not meet your needs. It is our daily goal to exceed guest expectations by providing stellar customer service. Your feedback is helpful as it allows us to continually improve. I will follow-up with my staff members to ensure better courses of action in the future. We do hope you have another opportunity to stay at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort, so we may provide a better experience.
Gatesville, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

What a pleasant result to stay at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort after booking a 4 star hotel on Hotwire at a very reasonable nightly rate. My hubby and I have stayed in Scottsdale many times and found this resort a lovely place with a fantastic location. Check-in was extremely pleasant and efficient.

Learned this resort is located on 40 attractively landscaped acres with 5 pools, spa, putting green, tennis courts, meeting rooms, and several restaurants. Our clean, king bed room was on the ground floor at the end of a building next to a cactus garden that was located across from the spa. Our bed was comfortable and room quiet for good sleeping. The main pool, JD's Lounge (great food and drinks), hotel lobby, and Garden Court restaurant were all within easy walking distance from our room. Free parking was abundant. One item to note is wi-fi connection is through AT&T for $12.95/day a bit disappointing but we found other alternatives for internet service.

This resort was close to our favorite places to dine, play golf, and visit. With Starbucks and Wildflower Bread Company across Scottsdale Blvd from this resort so you have additional options for breakfast hangouts. The resort's JD's Lounge offered up wonderful food even on Thanksgiving Day (which occurred during our stay). I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Your positive feedback is not only appreciated but is valued in order to maintain quality customer service at our property. We work hard to keep our grounds in great condition, and our staff is trained to provide excellent service. We are glad your stay met and exceeded your expectations. We hope your experience encourages you to stay with us again in the future.
Happy Holidays.
Long Island NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Scottsdale is full of resorts, so it's hard for one to rise above the rest. There was truly nothing wrong with this property, but nothing special either. The staff was very friendly, esp the bell staff which saved me a taxi fare by driving me to my destination (not the airport) on the day of my departure (my fare was the tip that I gave directly to the driver).

The grounds are pretty enough, and although there are at least 3 pools, I didn't see any other guests the day that I was there, so I had the whole place to myself. I do take exception, however, to the outside access noted by another reviewer, as you could roam for hours trying to find buildings identified by numbers -- hard enough in the daylight but near impossible at night. And although I never felt "unsafe" per se, it was kind of spooky just walking between the restaurant and my room (I didn't have a car at my disposal, so everything was on foot).

Although I had a great meal at Remington's, there wasn't much choice in the area without a car (the Chart House is about a half mile down the road but across a very busy boulevard -- not something I wanted to attempt on foot in the dark).

The room was large and as others have pointed out, somewhat dated (but not distractingly so). A big complaint is the lack of free wifi (standard in many hotels) and no premium channels -- just about every hotel I've stayed at offers either HBO or Showtime, and sometimes both). There were, however, movies on demand if you wished to purchase any (nothing looked that interesting). The inclusion of a bathrobe and larger-sized toiletries were a plus.

For the price (just over $100 via a 3rd party site), I have absolutely no complaints. But I'd question going back again unless I had a car at my disposal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Was "upgraded" to this property after bidding 3.5 stars in the Scottsdale zone of Phoenix on Priceline. It is rated 4 stars on Priceline, but it's really not. A solid 3 stars yes, but clearly not 4 stars. This is primarily a convention hotel built many years ago (1975). And while remodeling has attempted to keep up with the times, we were disappointed overall. My bid on Priceline was accepted at $52 per night, but in the future, I will avoid this zone entirely so as not to be "upgraded" to this property.

Pros: 1) Attractive grounds, especially well maintained
2) Good location, corner of Scottsdale Road and Indian Bend
3) Very friendly staff, especially Pat the concierge
4) Clean rooms

Cons: 1) Outside corridors to get to all rooms - some very dark at night - not safe for women
2) Dated decor
3) Musty smell in rooms

Room Tip: Watch out. ALL rooms are accessed by outside corridors which are dark and unsafe at night, especiall...
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Yep, just spent a week at the Scottsdale Plaza, it was quiet and beautiful, the grounds are well maintained and had loaded with flowers. The staff at the resort were all very friendly and helpful. The Remington Restaurant located on the ground has great food, we ate there four times, the rack of lamb was tasty. Not to mention there is a Starbuck's across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for you wonderful feedback. We appreciate your visit to The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. The plush winter grass and bright flowers were planted recently, so we're glad you were able to enjoy them. Hopefully the live Jazz music at Remington's provided great ambiance for your meal. We hope you choose us again for your next stay in Scottsdale.

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!