“Lovely Scottsdale stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Gatesville, TX
“Lovely Scottsdale stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

What a pleasant result to stay at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort after booking a 4 star hotel on Hotwire at a very reasonable nightly rate. My hubby and I have stayed in Scottsdale many times and found this resort a lovely place with a fantastic location. Check-in was extremely pleasant and efficient.

Learned this resort is located on 40 attractively landscaped acres with 5 pools, spa, putting green, tennis courts, meeting rooms, and several restaurants. Our clean, king bed room was on the ground floor at the end of a building next to a cactus garden that was located across from the spa. Our bed was comfortable and room quiet for good sleeping. The main pool, JD's Lounge (great food and drinks), hotel lobby, and Garden Court restaurant were all within easy walking distance from our room. Free parking was abundant. One item to note is wi-fi connection is through AT&T for $12.95/day a bit disappointing but we found other alternatives for internet service.

This resort was close to our favorite places to dine, play golf, and visit. With Starbucks and Wildflower Bread Company across Scottsdale Blvd from this resort so you have additional options for breakfast hangouts. The resort's JD's Lounge offered up wonderful food even on Thanksgiving Day (which occurred during our stay). I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Your positive feedback is not only appreciated but is valued in order to maintain quality customer service at our property. We work hard to keep our grounds in great condition, and our staff is trained to provide excellent service. We are glad your stay met and exceeded your expectations. We hope your experience encourages you to stay with us again in the future.
Happy Holidays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Long Island NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Scottsdale is full of resorts, so it's hard for one to rise above the rest. There was truly nothing wrong with this property, but nothing special either. The staff was very friendly, esp the bell staff which saved me a taxi fare by driving me to my destination (not the airport) on the day of my departure (my fare was the tip that I gave directly to the driver).

The grounds are pretty enough, and although there are at least 3 pools, I didn't see any other guests the day that I was there, so I had the whole place to myself. I do take exception, however, to the outside access noted by another reviewer, as you could roam for hours trying to find buildings identified by numbers -- hard enough in the daylight but near impossible at night. And although I never felt "unsafe" per se, it was kind of spooky just walking between the restaurant and my room (I didn't have a car at my disposal, so everything was on foot).

Although I had a great meal at Remington's, there wasn't much choice in the area without a car (the Chart House is about a half mile down the road but across a very busy boulevard -- not something I wanted to attempt on foot in the dark).

The room was large and as others have pointed out, somewhat dated (but not distractingly so). A big complaint is the lack of free wifi (standard in many hotels) and no premium channels -- just about every hotel I've stayed at offers either HBO or Showtime, and sometimes both). There were, however, movies on demand if you wished to purchase any (nothing looked that interesting). The inclusion of a bathrobe and larger-sized toiletries were a plus.

For the price (just over $100 via a 3rd party site), I have absolutely no complaints. But I'd question going back again unless I had a car at my disposal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Was "upgraded" to this property after bidding 3.5 stars in the Scottsdale zone of Phoenix on Priceline. It is rated 4 stars on Priceline, but it's really not. A solid 3 stars yes, but clearly not 4 stars. This is primarily a convention hotel built many years ago (1975). And while remodeling has attempted to keep up with the times, we were disappointed overall. My bid on Priceline was accepted at $52 per night, but in the future, I will avoid this zone entirely so as not to be "upgraded" to this property.

Pros: 1) Attractive grounds, especially well maintained
2) Good location, corner of Scottsdale Road and Indian Bend
3) Very friendly staff, especially Pat the concierge
4) Clean rooms

Cons: 1) Outside corridors to get to all rooms - some very dark at night - not safe for women
2) Dated decor
3) Musty smell in rooms

Room Tip: Watch out. ALL rooms are accessed by outside corridors which are dark and unsafe at night, especiall...
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Yep, just spent a week at the Scottsdale Plaza, it was quiet and beautiful, the grounds are well maintained and had loaded with flowers. The staff at the resort were all very friendly and helpful. The Remington Restaurant located on the ground has great food, we ate there four times, the rack of lamb was tasty. Not to mention there is a Starbuck's across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for you wonderful feedback. We appreciate your visit to The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. The plush winter grass and bright flowers were planted recently, so we're glad you were able to enjoy them. Hopefully the live Jazz music at Remington's provided great ambiance for your meal. We hope you choose us again for your next stay in Scottsdale.
Wailuku, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I booked in the dark on priceline.com. After committing to a five day stay I was informed that the hotel I was booked at was the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Then I read the reviews.

Yes the room was a little dated but it was spotlessly clean and well maintained (flat screen TV, very nice furniture, comfortable king bed). The grounds are truly resort quality. The restaurant and bar prices are reasonable for a resort. Yes there is a $17 per day resort fee but considering that my rate for a King Guest Room was just $50 per day + the $17 resort fee, I would give this booking 10 out of a possible 10. Not sure why they are giving away their rooms here but last year I booked a room down the street at the Hilton for $50 per day plus resort fee. I guess if the resorts in Scottsdale are not busy they will give away their rooms. The Hilton was the same quality room as the Scottsdale Plaza and they also had a resort fee and $12.99 internet fee. However, the S. Plaza had free AT&T wireless for iPhone or iPad users who had a data plan (PC users had to pay $12.95). The Hilton grounds were nowhere near the size and quality of the S. Plaza.

The S. Plaza staff was more than pleasant and even provided a free refrigerator for the room when I asked if they had a refrigerator I could store my wife's insulin in. I was actually asking if they would let us store the insulin in a fridge they had in the office but they insisted that they would be happy to bring us a mini fridge at no cost.

Room Tip: The Red Roof Inn cost more per night than I paid at the S. Plaza. Try a $50 bid on Priceline for a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate the positive feedback on your stay at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We value our guests and are happy to provide the best customer service possible during your stay. Despite the "shot in the dark" reservation, we are glad it worked out successfully. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to another possible stay in the future.
cleveland ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Everything is clean, the service is good and the grounds are nice. For $79 on hotwire it was a bargain. But had i paid regular price i would be disappointed. The main reason is the property is very dated. Looks like it was renovated in 1989 and is locked into that time period. Rooms were comfortable and standard fare but felt somewhat like a Super8. Im sure there are some people who might like it but the green and brown 1980's english pub style lounge was boring and a turnoff to me. Walked into the main dinner restaurant and it was quiet and the same dated style. We wanted something more lively so we left. Besides the dated style, only real true complaint would be lackluster phone and internet connectivity. Have ATT and never got more than 2 bars. On the bright side, fitness center was nice and had modern equipment. All in all, average and only worth it because of the low price.

• Stayed November 2012
Woodinville, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel grounds are impressive and beyond clean and manicured. I wish they put the same amount of effort into updating the rooms. Nothing says dated like brass fixtures and peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. It was super clean, just dated. The airconditioner was super loud and disruptive. In an area where airconditioning is a necessity almost year round you would think it would be a priority to make them less obtrusive. Staff were all very friendly and professional and interested in making my stay comfortable. Special thanks to Juan at the bell desk for arranging my last minute shuttle service to the airport. Loved JPs happy hour.

Room Tip: I had the opportunity to peek into one of the villas and they were lovely so if you can score one of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for following up on your stay with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our property and the quality of our customer service. We're happy to hear you enjoyed both. We continue to make updates to our facilities and will use your feedback to help improve specific areas in the future. We hope you choose to come back and stay with us.

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!