“Weekend stay for a wedding” 3 of 5 stars

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7200 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85253   |
Ranked #59 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Chicago, Illinois
“Weekend stay for a wedding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We just returned from our weekend stay at The Scottsdale Plaza. It was nice. The room was quite dated, but clean and comfortable. (I am a tough judge of cleanliness, and they passed!) The room was quiet and not too many people were around.

We paid about $90 a night via Priceline, which I still consider expensive for what we got. No internet, no paper, coffee or water in lobby, or any "extras." As other reviews noted, the resort is very large, and it's a bit of a walk if you are in one of the far buildings. I believe you can call the guys at the front door and they will come and pick you up in golf carts if you'd rather not walk. It was much too cold for us to sit by the pool, and we did not play tennis or eat at any of the restaurants. I also did not check out the fitness center. The grounds looked well maintained but the main areas were dated. The location is great for activities around Scottsdale. We were not there much, so I don't have too much to stay. There are many other places in Scottsdale, so I plan to try and find a good bargain at those hotels before coming back here...but our stay certainly wasn't terrible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the main building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

On Scottsdale Road, about three miles north of Fashion Square, the best darn shopping center in the West! Lots of two-story buildings spread out over forty acres. Excellent meeting, reception, meals, service. Built in 1977, shows some age, but they are constantly working to keep up buildings and grounds. Reasonably priced - something you can't always find in Scottsdale. I'd be glad to attend another meeting here!

Room Tip: Get in building as close as possible to main building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My confirmed reservation requests a quiet room - check in requesting a quiet room and hey presto at 5pm the hotel completely blocks my pool view setting up their work area for a private pool side dinner function for a large insurance company - how would you react when you have 5 to 10 banquet staff directly looking into your room? Ridiculous! I call Ms. 'E' and get a 'sorry' and then silence - when requesting a room change I am told this will be a problem - interesting response - terrible if you ask me. I ask for a free dinner and leave me where I am and 41 minutes later I get an offer of a $ 35.00 credit towards dinner i.e. I cannot be trusted to not overspend more impotantly Mr. Reading sees the value ofthis situation at $ 35.00 which is really a $ 10.00 food and beverage cost.
there are many hotels fighting over limited business during this recession - $ 12.00 a night for internet, noisy a/c in regular rooms and the front desk response I received I call terrible
All of this could have been avoided by empowering the front desk to be proactive - not my experience. I sincerely hope that Mr. Reading reviews this review as we met directly where I confirmed I turned down the $ 35.00 on principal.
All it would have taken was for banqets to make one phone call to front desk as a standard s.o.p. to not block individuals out of the pool dinner group to stay in my room which by the way was a suite!! Hope they do better in the future when bookig other poolside events!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. It is our goal to provide quality customer service and apologize that your needs and expectations were not met. We continue to strive for excellence in every aspect of our resort and will use this information in order to improve our efforts. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to accommodate your stay.
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Scottsdale Plaza seems somewhat dated, but is a good place to stay while visiting Scottsdale... provided you can find a reasonably discounted price on the web. At full price, there are nicer, newer choices in the area. The rooms are clean and comfortable, if not exactly plush. A plus in my book is that each room has an outside entrance, no hallways. On the negative, ice machines are not easily found, if you don't know where to look. I didn't see signage or anything on the campus map pointing to ice machines. I had to call the front desk to ask for directions to the nearest ice machine.

All 'n all, not the worst or best for Scottsdale lodging.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for staying at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We appreciate your feedback on the ice machines. Customer service and property maintenance are extremely important to us. We are glad that both of these areas met your expectations and hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights as part of a business conference. I found the property to be beautiful, expansive and well kept. Gorgeous pools and hot tubs spread through the complex. The rooms however, are a little dated which also make them look dirty and is the source of the lower ratings from other reviewers.

We stayed in a cottage near the back of the property. Each cottage had an sidewalk leading up to the door, which lead to a living room/kitchen area. These front rooms were quite large and well decorated. The living room had a pull out couch and the kitchen had a separate table with 4 chairs around it. A hallway lead back to the bedroom on the left and a bathroom on the right. Straight ahead was a door that lead to another cottage if you had a large family and needed to have connecting rooms.

The bedroom had a king size bed with a mirrored closet across from it. It seemed cramped with the TV on a side wall. It seemed old and the bed was hard.

The bathroom was really the area that bothered me most. The tiles were either old and stained, or dirty. There was an open soap bar already in the tub. Fresh toiletries were not left on the counter which made me wonder about the cleaning staff. The hairdryer on the wall did not work and the tub/shower made the toilet area cramped.

Even though I felt the room was not up to par, I couldn't help but picture a wedding party on the property with all the guests staying in the cottages. The property is just beautiful! I feel that the management is attempting to make upgrades and are currently working on the spa. The other area they will have to make major improvements is with restaurants and bar food. We sat by the pool and rarely found anyone providing service. The dining room had few people and few servers.

The property needs to make some improvements, but in the mean time, it is a good buy for a family with lots of things to do in the area.

Wausau, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The resort is beautiful. The rooms are spacious and almost everything I would want for the $159 per night I paid (attending a conference). The staff was friendly and helpful. The food and drinks were very good. The conference area was nice and professional and all the technical stuff came off without a hitch. This review would be a 5 except that the Internet service was "stone-age". I am unsure if resorts and hotels are trying to use Internet service as a profit generator nowadays, but it was a cold slap in the face at the Plaza Resort. First of all they want $12.95 per day, per device to access their wi-fi. Secondly, they wanted $100 per person, per device, per day, to access wi-fi in the conference room. Thirdly, the wi-fi was very slow. Uploading a video to SendSpace took 30 minutes, whereas at home it only takes about 1 minute. There were also a couple of outages during my time there. Our conference organizers complained enough that the Resort decided to waive the $12.95 for conference attendees, but, but, but, the wi-fi in the rooms was not very accessible in the conference hall. In fact, it is intentionally blocked, so they can charge an arm and a leg for the service in the conference hall. If the conference organizers would have agreed to the wi-fi access charge in the conference hall, it would have been at least $20,000 per day for Internet access!! Holy crap. This resort usually hosts insurance company conferences, financial conferences, what-not, so maybe they are used to charging that much and not have anyone complain. Big C-corps love to waste money that way. But this was a non-profit org conference. Hard to save the world when getting fleeced on Internet access.

I feel bad writing a poor review, but it is not the employees fault. They were all professional and helpful. It is the management/owners that sets this policy. Good Internet access is so important nowadays, that I cannot recommend this resort to my friends and acquaintances. Maybe if you work for one of the big banks that are flush with bailout money from the government and don't care about wasting money on Internet access, they this is probably a good resort for you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you made the unfortunate Hotwire booking on this room you will quickly be frustrate in the lack of 4-star quality of this hotel. That being said, it is made up by a pleasant, accommodating staff, beautiful, well-kept, clean grounds and relative convenient proximity to surrounding Scottsdale. Now onto the rooms, the staff seems content even in non-busy times to put discount sites booked visitors in their older rooms. I am used to this as it happens everytime I book via a discount website. Most of the time it is little more than a nuisance because most hotels have consistent quality (good or bad) amongst their facilities. This is not the case here. If you are in a refurbished room, you will notice more comfort and acceptable surroundings. In my case, I received a room near the front of the resort (VERY convenient to parking) but very well aged. The room is clean! But not very nice! Bed was rock hard and two doubles were in EVERY room that myself and five colleagues had. Kinda silly if you are a resort advertising as a romantic getaway. Bar service was good but expensive. Did not order room service or try the restaurants. Like I said, staff very nice and helpful, resort quality there. Just no the facilities. Careful when booking!

Room Tip: Pay the price for upgrading your room when you check in. Specifically request one of the newly refu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Scottsdale Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!