“Perfect Place to Relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sasabe
Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch
You added Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1 West La Osa Ranch Rd, Sasabe, AZ 85633   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sasabe
Tucson, Arizona
“Perfect Place to Relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here to celebrate my 30th birthday and had a wonderful time! I had been very busy at work and didn't want a large celebration so we decided to do something quieter and I'm glad we did! First off, they are pet friendly and had no problem with us bringing our two small dogs. They even gave us a room with a private back patio so that we didn't have to go traipsing around the ranch to let them use the bathroom if we didn't want to.

We arrived in the late morning to get the dogs settled before lunch and they had no problem letting us into our room early. In fact, another couple arrived while we were having lunch and they had no problem accommodating them as well.

The rooms here are very clean--I was amazed. I was slightly afraid that the bathrooms would show wear and tear with the buildings being so historic, but I'm happy to say that the bathroom was cleaner than some of the new 4-star hotels I've been at! They do an amazing job with the upkeep of this place! Rooms come with the typical furnishings, but what my husband really liked was the plush rocking chair.

The food here is AMAZING! The chef, Raymond, accompanied by the owner Veronica, make the best meals around! To give you an idea, one breakfast was a frittata with spice muffins and fruit, the other breakfast was prickly pear pancakes with chicken apple sausage and fruit. Both lunches we had were large salads (one was topped with the BEST vinaigrette dressing I have ever had!) Dinner one night was a pork tenderloin with duchess potatoes and green beans and we had a cookout for dinner on Saturday. The cookout was so much fun! There was tons of wonderful food and it was a pleasure to have the owners (Richard and Veronica) as well as the staff (chef Raymond, wrangler Colette, and handyman Greg) join us. After dinner, they lit a campfire for us guests and allowed us to sit and mingle while they went off to bed.

We also went horseback riding one morning. Their wrangler, Colette, is a very lovely woman who is very knowledgeable with horses. The ride we took was through the desert around the property and was a mild ride--mostly walking with a few places to trot. This was fine with me since I'm not an experienced rider and was mostly interested in looking at the landscape anyway. I also loved the fact that Colette took us on a slightly longer ride since I wanted to get a nice picture of the Baboquivari mountains. She was also more than willing to take pictures of myself and my husband at various points along the ride.

All of the staff are very accommodating. Whenever I asked for a afternoon cup of coffee, Veronica had no problem getting me one. Greg, the handyman/bartender, had no problem restocking the beer or opening up the Cantina a little early on Saturday (there were some football fans who wanted to watch a game on the TV in there.)

All in all, this is a great place to visit if you're looking for a quiet getaway. You are guaranteed to have a relaxing time and meet some wonderful people! My only regret is not staying long enough to enjoy the surrounding area and all that this ranch has to offer...that's why I will definitely be coming back!

For those of you interested in this ranch here are some words of advice...

Although this ranch sits close to the border (you can see the border fence from some spots on the ranch) there is absolutely no threat of "border violence." Sasabe is the safest crossing in Arizona. In fact, if we didn't have the dogs with us, my husband and I would have slept with the door to our room open (only utilizing the screen door.)

With that, since you are so close to the border your cellphone will not work unless you happen to find an area with transient 3G coverage. That is the point of this place--to get you to relax and put the phone down. If you must be in constant contact via text/email, you may want to look somewhere else or purchase an international plan from your phone provider.

Most of the horseback rides will be at a slower pace due to the rocky surroundings. There are few places in the desert around the ranch where the horses can freely run. If you are an experienced rider and would like to "go fast" you may be disappointed, but if you are a casual trail rider like myself, you will surely enjoy the beauty of the Sonoran desert.

Be aware that if there aren't any other guests, the place will feel a little deserted. We were the first couple to arrive on Friday and I was happy that two other couples checked in that day as well. We all ate dinner together and I'm glad to say that I was really nice to meet new people! Five more guests arrived on Saturday and only added to the fun. If you're not comfortable with the possibility of being the only ones there, then I would ask if other guests have reservations before making yours.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1 since it had a private patio in the back for the dogs, but I'm sure every ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

High class ranch run and staffed by foodies and animal lovers. We stayed for 6 nights in low season and this was an ideal romantic retreat, so much so that we got engaged here! The ranch buildings and environs are beautiful, full of authentic period character - no pastiche here, all very tasteful. You won't find the latest mod-cons in the rooms though, these are historic buildings with walls 3ft thick so wifi only available in the cantina. There's no air-con but the thick adobe walls keep things bearable in the heat.

It was low season so for the first two days it was just us two riding as the other guests were a film crew using the ranch as a base while working nearby. My fiancé is an experienced but rusty horse rider and I am a complete beginner but thankfully I picked things up quickly and was able to keep up quite well. Our wrangler Colette was an angel - very experienced horsewoman having competed at a high level who treated her horses with respect so you won't find her lasso-ing horses for show. Rides were a mixture of tracks and open desert, picking a route through the scrub. We were joined by another couple for 3 days riding as a small group which was fun.

Chef Raymond provided 3 superb meals per day. This was a set menu so be sure to mention any foods that you don't like in advance. However, the standard of cuisine is so high that foods that you wouldn't normally choose can turn into a wonderful surprise. Can't praise the meals enough - we wanted to kidnap Raymond and take him home if that gives you some idea. Owners Richard and Veronica were very friendly and welcoming, and they keep a very nice wine list to accompany your meal. Greg has a selection of craft beers in the cantina so the quality doesn't drop there either. Expect to dine with in a sociable group with other guests and the owners around one or two large tables.

The ranch is remote and very peaceful. The border is close-by and we rode to the end of the border fence one day which was interesting! Felt very safe though, border patrol are active but the Sasabe border crossing one of the quietest in the US. We slept with our door open (not unlocked, open).

Would recommend to anyone seeking good food, good riding, peace and quiet. Not for you if you need 5 star hotel fixtures and fittings, room service, buffet food, etc.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Clifton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'm booked for my 5th visit this coming December and am already counting the days.

Nestled in the natural and overwhelming beauty of the desert: Rancho De La Osa is an emerald oasis. Each room is artistically crafted to reflect the southwest. The hacienda transports you back to the time of the old west. The courtyard's fountain gurgles softly, and the rustic walls are covered with leafy vines.

The service is generous and genuine. The food is gourmet and tailored to every and any taste or dietary requirement.

Wranglers are friendly and safety conscious. They are also ready to take you on an adventure as soon as they know you can handle it. I've spent glorious hours in the saddle in the Sonoran Desert exploring the vast and varied landscape.

The Cantina in the evening promotes comradery amongst the guests each evening. Staff wear several different hats each day and always have a smile for you.

You are always treated like a long lost friend at Rancho De La Osa. I don't know where I'll be in my life in 10 years, but I know I'll always be coming to visit this ranch.

Room Tip: There isn't anything BUT a good room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Top notch in every respect. Not to be missed. The horses are in great condition and very sweet. The bird watching is excellent right on the ranch grounds. The night skies are black with brilliant stars. The hacienda is an historic treasure. The color schemes and fabrics are vivid and rich.The furniture and art work are more treasures. The ranch runs like clockwork and serves the guests in a quietly unobtrusive style. The staff is very attentive, considerate, professional, and talented. The food was delicious and portions were generous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent 4 fabulous days on this beautifully restored and lovingly maintained Ranch. The owners, Veronica and Richard were so warm and friendly. Raymond the chef amazed us every day and every meal with glorious and wonderfully prepared food ( even gluten free me) Collette and Michelle the ranglers took us on amazing rides twice a day, we loved our horses,Tally and Azul !
Our last day we did an all day ride covering over 20 miles seeing deer, jack rabbits , hawks and owls and of course the amazing Sonoran Desert landscape . We'll be back!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent one night at Ranch de la Osa, but will go back soon for a longer stay. We are lucky to be within driving distance of this historical treasure! The furnishing and textiles are fabulous, Chef Raymond and Veronica cook up some wonderful food (definitely not ranch style grub!), Richard was our wonderful tour guide for a hike (we don't ride!). Loved all of the common spaces (especially the cantina!), and the hot tub sured what ailed us! Friendly folks working there, what a wonderful retreat!
The only reason I did not give a 5 star- because this is a historical ranch, some of the infrastructure is not quite up to modern perfection. I don;t have a problem with that.....but some might.

Room Tip: Talk to the ranch owners, they will help you pick the perfect spot!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our third visit over the past ten years. We keep coming back for the natural beauty and devoted innkeepers gracious hospitality. The historical property has been lovingly restored and is maintained with respect and consideration for 21st Century guest needs yet not meant to be a Ritz! We come for the uniqueness of place and the chance to ride or just sit and read while listening to a wide variety of birds in the ancient eucalyptus trees. When the dinner bell rings, you can look forward to wonderful cuisine planned and prepared with Chef Raymond's expertise.
And don't let the nearness of the US-Mexican border keep you away: this is one of the safest spots in our country today! Friendly and knowledgeable wranglers will get you on a horse for the first time or the hundredth time, if you wish, and share the Sonoran vistas of this amazing part of our country. Don't miss this!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace...all are wood burning and wood is replenished daily. Room 14 has a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!