Rancho de la Osa has been a guest ranch since 1920. It is, very simply, a treasure which you should not miss if you love the west and want to experience an unspoiled area of the high Sonoran desert at an authentic hacienda rich with centuries of Mexican and American history.
We spent five days there in early March and wished it could have been much longer. Riding is a main activity here. With over 20 horses and wonderfully patient, knowledgeable wranglers, there is the opportunity to ride the trails through the hills and washes of the desert for up to 4 hours a day. Or if you’d rather, there are many paths for hiking in the desert. The pool and hot tub feel great after both activities!
Every meal is announced by the ringing of the old mission bell. Each was delicious and served family style in the hacienda dining room with its incredibly long and beautiful table, or on the patio for lunch. The menu was varied and the food was always plentiful.
The rooms and bathrooms are extremely comfortable while maintaining the feel of the ranch. Rooms have their own fireplaces with always a ready supply of wood. Each room has been redone by the owners in the vibrant colors, paintings and patterns of La Osa’s western and Mexican heritage. There are no phones, tvs or internet connection in the rooms, although there is internet accessibility in the Cantina, where guests gather for cocktails before dinner. Cell phone reception is spotty. But that’s the point. Here we could get away and enjoy the absolute peace of the land, the animals, the stars, the life. It is THE place to relax and recharge or to work without distraction….which is something many political figures and other well known people discovered years ago. Their pictures and their roles in history can be seen in the hacienda.
The owners and every member of the staff were unfailingly helpful, friendly and welcoming. Very quickly they made us, and all the guests we met, feel at home. Veronica and Richard have owned and managed the ranch for 16 years. But like La Osa’s owners many years ago,they don't just run the ranch, they love it. This we could feel and see in the work they have done on it. This makes a special difference and is another reason why, if you miss this ranch, we think you have missed a wonderful and unique place.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho De La Osa Guest Ranch Hotel
- Rancho De La Osa Guest Ranch Hotel Sasabe
- Rancho De La Osa Hotel
- Rancho De La Osa Guest Ranch Arizona/Sasabe
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the late 1600's, the fertile Altar Valley was settled by Spanish Jesuits. Father Eusebio Francisco Kino and his followers built a mission outpost on what is now our ranch. Still standing and in use, this rare historic adobe structure is considered to be the oldest building in Arizona. Today it serves as a peaceful gathering place for guests to mingle and relax. Rancho De La Osa or 'Ranch of the She Bear' is one of the last great Spanish Haciendas still standing in America. In 1921 Louisa Wade Wetherill, who is still considered one of the foremost Navajo historians, came south looking for a lost tribe of Navajos. She never found them, but she started Hacienda De La Osa Guest Ranch on Thanksgiving Day, 1924. We are a private, intimate Guest Ranch, with 18 Territorial-style guest rooms. Each guest room has a private bath and most have a wood-burning fireplace. All guests are within a short stroll to the pool, hot tub, hiking, Wildlife Refuge and corrals. Enjoy Southwestern dining in our romantic, historic hacienda dining room, secluded outdoor courtyard or under the stars at a cookout! We have a Cantina with full liquor license and carry an extensive wine list, premium tequilas and a margarita you won't soon forget! You will enjoy choice cuts of meat, innovative entrees, fresh, crisp greens and vegetables and decadent desserts. We are happy to cook vegetarian or low fat--just let us know before you arrive. Rancho De La Osa is a truly special place that rejuvenates the spirit and invigorates the soul. We hope you will visit soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.