“Small Hotel - HUGE Heart” 5 of 5 stars

Heritage House Motel
819 E. Gurley Street, Prescott, AZ 86301   |
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Costa Mesa, California
“Small Hotel - HUGE Heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The room was clean & comfortable, with a fridge & wifi, but what truly made this motel so wonderful was Grace, the owner. She helped my son & I during the first week of the Granite Mountain Hotshot memorials -- two of these men were my nephews. This took place during their big week of July 4, and still she made a place for us.

Did I mention her huge heart? She also made a place for 6 families displaced from Yarnell, the town decimated by the fire. There could have been no better place for us. Grace, and Heritage House, are true Prescott Angels!

Room Tip: Call Grace with any special needs -- she will be sure to help!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your wonderful review and kind words. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hearts go out to all of the people affected by the devastating and tragic Yarnell fire, especially the families of the 19 brave members of the Prescott Granite Mountain Hotshots who lost their lives serving our community.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Heritage House Motel for July 4th, just as a little getaway from Phoenix. The front desk staff was less that desirable but aside from that the place was OK. Our room was quiet and the A/C worked great. The parking lot was really difficult to navigate and park in. There is no vending machine on site - but there is an ice machine. There's a fridge and microwave in the room, as well as coffee. Definitely a no frills type of motel - and if you don't expect too much you'll probably be OK with it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your review and choosing to stay with us. We apologize that our front desk clerk did not meet your expectations and that we do not have a vending machine. Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Great experience overall. I stayed here based on the great reviews, and will stay here again. The rooms are clean and quiet (despite the sports bar next door). The hostess was very friendly and polite...even walked me to the room. Its hard to find economical clean rooms, so this place was a good find. If you have a choice when booking a room, request room 120, it has a great view of the mountains. You won't be disappinted in this place.

• Stayed June 2013
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your great review, we really appreciate it! We are glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay. and we hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stay here years ago, I'm back and it's still super clean affordable, but was sad to find out that Phil passed. Ask for a room with a view! Staff was awesome made us feel at home. Thanks for reading my review.

• Stayed May 2013
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for the kind review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we would love to see you again on your next trip through Prescott. Sadly, Phil did pass away a few years back, but he is still here with us in memory. Thank you!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed one night at this property last weekend. The room was super clean and the bed was very comfortable. There is free parking, Internet, a microwave and refrigerator in the room. There is no pool but several lakes in the area if you need water. If you want all the amenities this is not your place. If you want a great room at a great price, this is your place. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your delightful review! We really appreciate it, and hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Prescott. Thank you!
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The first words that come to mind are CLEAN, RELIABLE AND AFFORDABLE! When you book a privately owned non-corporate hotel/motel, there is a certain expectation. You don't typically expect to have a 4-Star experience, and you anticipate small potential issues that can come from limited staff and unknown brand value. This was not the case with my recent experience staying at the Hertitage House.

In mid March 2013, I flew into Phoenix at 10:30PM from Indiana. I then had to get to the rental car location and drive to Prescott. Worried about a potential late check-in, I attempted to call the Hotel but had no luck. Also, there was no answering machine to leave a message on. This scared me initially, and even more so when I finally arrived at 1:10AM and saw multiple neon signs flashing "NO VACANCY" and the entire parking lot filled to capacity and even overflowing (that is a good sign!). After finding the last parking spot left, I managed to make my way around the building to the office location. There I learned that the office closes at 10:00PM (welcome to western living). With nothing to loose, I put my hand in the mail box next to the door and found a key with a note attached to me. It read "Here is you key. Your room is around back. Sorry we were not open when you arrived. Have a pleasant night." Now that is the kind of sweet and thoughtful people that own this place!

When I arrived to my room and opened the door, the air was fresh and crisp and smelled like home. When the lights came on, I found myself in a decent sized room with obvious care taken to make sure the place was clean and tidy. It was truly a remarkable and unexpected sight. Still being skeptical, I pulled-back the sheets to the bed. There I found pressed linens that smelled fresh and looked inviting. I had a wonderful night's sleep. In the morning, I took a shower and was surprised to find decent pressure and the basic amenities of soap and shampoo. The towels were clean, washed and still had some fluff left to them. The only thing missing was an iron in the room. But I learned that this amenity is available free of charge from the office during normal office hours.

In the end, if you are expecting fluffy-white cotton cloud-like towels, or a strong visual presence like you would expect from the four-seasons, or some other pretentious hotel chain, then you are going to be disappointed. If however you are looking for a little jem in the desert, desire to stay at an inn where the owners are european immigrants living the American dream, and have a heart for old-world style hospitality, then this is the place for you.

I would give you one little piece of advice... along with old-world hospitality comes an underlying subtle demand for guests to respect the property, its owners. I actually inquired about some of the negative reviews posted here with the owners. As a neutral 3rd party.. and a person who got to inspect other rooms in the motel (long story), I can tell you that they were written by people who tried to 'get one by' on the owners and got caught.

At the end of the proverbial day, this place is worthy of your stay... and in our world today, a flashing neon "NO VACANCY" sign and a packed parking lot on a Wednesday night says volumes!

Room Tip: This is a small place. I stayed on the first floor around the back of the hotel, room 114.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for the wonderful review of our motel. We really appreciate your kind and warm words and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Cleanliness, friendliness, and great service are our top priorities here and we are happy to hear that our guests are appreciating our hard work and efforts. We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Prescott. Thank you!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

The management was extremely rude. I personally travel a lot and have stayed in numerous hotels, but the experience I had at the heritage house motel was horrible. I will never recommend this place to anyone. Additionally, the towels they gave us were used and not clean along with a half bottle of shampoo. It is a cheap place to stay, but $10 more you could stay in a better hotel. They lost our business and recommendations.

• Stayed March 2013
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear customer, we are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. However, we are unclear as to why you are upset. It is highly unlikely that the towels in the room, the additional fresh towels which you were given, and the shampoo were used and unclean. If that was the case, why did you wait to post this in a review and not notify the motel staff upon checking-in? Usually if there is an issue, customers let us know right away and we address the problem; they do not wait until they get home from their travels and notify us then. If you are upset that the front desk clerk asked you to pay for the additional 3 adults, we do apologize however that is our policy. When you made the reservation and upon check-in, you had stated there will be only 2 people occupying the room and not 5. To you it may not seem a problem bringing 3 extra adults; but when taking into account the expensive utilities, it is a loss for us. We wish you the best of travels.

Been to Heritage House Motel? Share your experiences!