“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   819 E. Gurley Street, Prescott, AZ 86301   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The management was extremely rude. I personally travel a lot and have stayed in numerous hotels, but the experience I had at the heritage house motel was horrible. I will never recommend this place to anyone. Additionally, the towels they gave us were used and not clean along with a half bottle of shampoo. It is a cheap place to stay, but $10 more you could stay in a better hotel. They lost our business and recommendations.

• Stayed March 2013
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear customer, we are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. However, we are unclear as to why you are upset. It is highly unlikely that the towels in the room, the additional fresh towels which you were given, and the shampoo were used and unclean. If that was the case, why did you wait to post this in a review and not notify the motel staff upon checking-in? Usually if there is an issue, customers let us know right away and we address the problem; they do not wait until they get home from their travels and notify us then. If you are upset that the front desk clerk asked you to pay for the additional 3 adults, we do apologize however that is our policy. When you made the reservation and upon check-in, you had stated there will be only 2 people occupying the room and not 5. To you it may not seem a problem bringing 3 extra adults; but when taking into account the expensive utilities, it is a loss for us. We wish you the best of travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Woody Creek, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Reliable, clean, affordable, and comfortable! The Heritage House Motel is my number one choice of lodging when I come to Prescott for my grad school colloquia. Why stay anywhere else? It's close to town, the price is right, the people who run it are friendly and helpful, and I know I'll get a good night's sleep - which is a necessity when you're in grad school! Stay here. End of story.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you very much for the positive review. We are grateful for the kind words and are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I wanted to review a review a few weeks ago, but forgot! I will now be staying at the HEritage House Motel for my fourth stay as a Prescott Student over the last year. After a flight, and a shuttle in 15 passenger vans, Heritage House Motel is a wonderful rest-stop for R+R, and re-coop time before academia hits in. I have stayed at two other establishments and this place is by far the best. It has already been stated how clean the rooms are, and in addition the folks that run this hotel are extremely helpful and friendly. During my first visit the wi-fi was not working, however we quickly realized it was my computer. I was given quick and friendly service and have had no other issues with the wi-fi. Seriously, the price is perfect, is is WONDERFULLY CLEAN and it is a gem in the Prescott area! All other Prescott masters students reading this review, should book all their Colloquium experiences at the Heritage House Motel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again. Thank you once again for the review and recommendation.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My name is Rosemary and I am a nurse. I planned to take an ongoing course in Prescott and my instructor suggested Heritage House to me, especially the top floor with the mountain views.
From my first stay. I was pleased how the owners warmly greeted me, by the economical rates and the CLEANLINESS !! As a nurse, this is important to me. In all. I have stayed there 9 times, from 3 to 11 day stays. It is like my home away from home. I always had a parking spot close to the stairs that I took to the second floor.
I am usually given the same room which I greatly appreciate. The owners are attentive and since I travel alone, I feel very safe and comfortable at Heritage House Motel.
I have recommended a stay there to the other persons in my course and they have also appreciated staying there. I recommend Heritage House Motel highly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the wonderful review. Cleanliness, friendliness, and great service are our top priorities here. We really appreciate you taking the time to let other travelers know about our motel.
Taylorsville, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed 5 days at this Motel during the last part of July / first part of August and it was great! The A/C worked very well and kept the room real cool, even though my room faced west and it was pretty hot outside during the afternoon. I spoke with the owners several times during my stay and found them to be very cordial and accommodating. I've seen the reviews regarding this motel and I found them to be all wrong, as this was a great place to come back to after long days of sight seeing in Prescott. After staying at this Motel, it is really apparent to me that the nay-sayers are very entitlement issued people and probably should not go out in public without their mommy holding their hand. I'll be more than happy to stay there upon future visits to Prescott, Arizona and wished more Motel owners had the work ethic that these fine folks do !!!!

Randy Lish
Utah

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write us the wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you next time.
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here with a friend. Was 11 minutes late to check out and got an irate phone call from the woman. When i returned the keys she grabbed them from me and was very rude. I was trying to be so nice to this woman. I had to wait for the male to go look through the room before we could get our deposit back. They freaked out over a missing towel that was never in the room. The male started ripping sheets and blankets off the bed looking for this towel and we both told them we had to use the same one, there was never two in there. The woman came in and we tried to explain the same thing to them but both this man and woman were so rude, saying that theres no way they would forget to put two towels in a two bed room. They made such a big fuss over it. Finally my friend offered to let them go through her things and i told them we have no interest in stealing their towels. The woman finally handed over our deposit, clearly not happy about it. These people are rude and crazy. They were unhappy to begin with and tore this room apart over a towel that was never there to begin with. You can attempt to dispute this all you want but your very rude and miserable people. With your attitudes you are clearly in the wrong business. Me and my friend are very sweet girls, kept our mouths shut and allowed you to bully us and call us liers. And we were very patient with you people the entire time. You should be ashamed of yourselves, i hope you go out of business. You get on here and dispute these other peoples claims, you were NEVER accommodating or polite in any way so i definitely believe you were this rude to other people. I would not give you one star if the option was available. You were that bad and i feel sorry that anyone could be as mean and hateful as you two clearly are on a regular basis.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear upset customer and potential customers,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Every hotel and motel has a specified check-in and check-out time which the guest has to follow. At the Heritage House Motel, the check-out time is at 11:00 AM and check-in time is at 2:00PM. It was already 11:30 AM when the clerk contacted the upset guest and by the time they checked-out it was already 12:15PM. If you would like to have a late check-out it is your responsibility to notify the office either the day you arrive or early morning.

People do not realize this, but many guests do not have respect for one another. For example, we have had guests upset with us in the past for not letting them check-in at 8:00AM. When the room is occupied from the previous night, we cannot ask someone to leave before the check-out time. This is why we enforce our check-in and check-out time and try to accommodate everyone.

The reason why we require deposits is due to the fact that many guests take our towels, pillows, TV remote controls, and other small items from the rooms. These items as small as they might seem do cost the motel lots of money to replace. All of the rooms at the motel are inventoried at check-in as well as check-out, so it is very unlikely that there were missing towels in the room. Our staff did not ask to check the upset guest’s bags and belongings. We do not check guest’s bags and belongings nor have we in the past.

-HHM_Management
Erlangen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Before we decided to stay here, I've explicitly asked the female owner if there was Wifi available at the room - she confirmed. Obviously it wasn't working - tried a notebook and an Ipad for half an hour with their stone age like direction of how to get Wifi working (click here, wait 3 minutes, should open a window in Internet Explorer, if not close and open again, wait 3 minutes and so on). I went back to her asking if she could help me getting a connection. She clearly told me that she doesn't have a clue of anything related with internet and seemed to wonder, why this answer wasn't satisfying for me.
After a while she had the idea, I could try their other network. I did so and indeed, that one worked from the front desk and surroundings. But it wasn't strong enough in our room at the back of the motel. So I went back again to ask her, if we could change rooms. She stated, there weren't any kingsize bed rooms (that's what I had booked) at the frontside, so this would be impossible. When I told her in that case I would take 2 queensize beds, she hesitated for a while and then unwillingly handed over a key for the room right above the front desk: it was a kingsize bed room, so she clearly lied to me first.
Furthermore, we were asked to tidy up our previous room so that she could give that room to others later and they shouldn't realize the room had been in use before the same day without real cleaning. We did that, took the new room (it was a very small, dark room), internet worked - fine. Two hours later we saw our previous room was occupied again - I doubt they even checked the cleanliness before giving it away to others.
There were some other issues with the motel:
parking lots were very small, we had a Jeep and it was a tough task to not damage any other car;
the lightswitch in the bathroom was some kind of a timer, so the light always went out after a couple of minutes (my girlfriend was taking a bath and suddenly sat in the dark);
there was no breakfast provided;
no pool;
at the next morning the police came to inspect some rooms of the motel (not ours), but this didn't make us feel more comfortable
And finally, AFTER checking out we still were sitting in our car in the parking lot planning our day trip - the male owner came by just to tell us in a very rude way: "Guys, next time you use the curtain in the bathroom, the floor is wet!" Even after I said "Sorry" (instead of "Maybe you should install a real lightswitch so your guests don't have to leave the tub in the dark just to turn the light on again" what I should have said) he didn't stop complaining about WATER on a tiled floor. Seriously? And it wasn't even much water as far as I remember.
Finally, I was happy I paid cash the other day when I read the review where they charged the credit card of a guest without permission for some similar nonsense. This has really been the most unfriendly and laziest owners of a motel I've ever met, so think about saving 10$ for staying here. There are so many other cheap hotels and motels in Prescott, I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HHM_Management, Manager at Heritage House Motel, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear upset customer and potential customers,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Unfortunately, some parts of this reviews are grossly exaggerated, we would like to take the time to clear up this matter. Sadly, this customer was upset from the beginning, it all started when he and his girlfriend came in asking for the most inexpensive room available. After quoting them the price they agreed to rent the motel room. Approximately 15 minutes later, the customer came back to the front desk notifying the clerk that the internet was not working. However, the internet was and is indeed working. As a business, we depend on an internet connection 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in order to function. It is very rare that we ever have a problem with the internet. At times it may be slow, but this is due to guests downloading movies and music.

The guests were unhappy and had requested that we switch them to a different room, claiming they will get better internet connection. We did not have any more rooms available with a single king bed, but we did offer them a room with two queen beds, which they did not want to take. To keep the aggravation from spreading, the clerk decided to move a reservation over to a different room so that we would be able to accommodate the angry guests.

Some guests do not know how to establish an internet connection on their personal computers, ipads, ipods, etc. To correct this problem, we have placed internet connection instructions in all the rooms. These are not ancient instructions; these are current internet instructions for logging onto the network via a laptop computer. Due to the numerous amounts of electronics available, we cannot have a step by step internet instruction manual for every device. On the other hand, we will be more than happy to check if the network at the motel is indeed active.

As for the room: All rooms are equipped with light fixtures and windows so we are unable to figure out why the room would have been dark. Yes, the bathrooms do have 45 minute timers, but these are for the heat lamps. However there are also standard light switches for a second light in the bathroom which does not shut off automatically. As for the water being on the floor, it wasn’t just a few drops, there was so much water that it began to leak through into the room below. If there is damage done to the room, the guest is responsible for covering the damage costs. Since we did not want to cause further frustration, the manager nicely asked them to be careful next time and to close the shower curtain properly. As for the parking, there were plenty of spaces available, if they would have notified us, we would gladly have helped them park their vehicle. As for the police being on the property, they only stopped in to ask if we had seen someone who matched a description of a suspicious person walking down the street.

Lastly, we are not thieves, liars, and lazy. We take pride in trying to meet every customer’s expectations. All of our rooms are very clean and you are welcomed to check with the Prescott health department if you are in doubt. With that said, there are still people out there who will never be satisfied, no matter how hard we try. Due to the affordable rates we offer, we are not able to serve breakfast nor do we have the real-estate for a pool; we also do not advertise that we have a pool or serve breakfast on any of our websites. Yes, we do ask for deposits (when paying in cash) or ask guests to pay with a credit card because of damages like this. In the end of the day, we, just like every other hotelier, business, and person try to make an honest dollar, but its people like this who make it difficult for us to do so. And this does not only happen to us, if you take the time to read some of the other replies to reviews posted by other hoteliers in Prescott, you will see similar explanations.

-HHM_Management

Been to Heritage House Motel? Share your experiences!