“Boutique hotel exceeds expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Up to 20% off Room Rate!
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Boutique hotel exceeds expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled from Tucson to Prescott for a weekend trip to visit friends. We booked a room at the Grand Highland Hotel, as I always love to stay in historic, quaint hotels when we have the opportunity. The Grand Highland was everything I expected and more. The staff was extremely welcoming and helpful from the moment we got there. You can tell that they really enjoy working there, which is hard to find these days. The hotel itself was beautifully refurbished, clean, and inviting. Happy hour was a nice bonus to start off our trip, too! The rooms are each decorated to suit a particular theme. Ours was the Rodeo Room which we found charming and very comfortable (the beds are amazing), and I loved the clawfoot bath as a nice touch to the historic feel. The hotel has a prime location on Whiskey Row where we met our friends and enjoyed the bar and music scene. The next day we were pleasantly surprised by an amazing breakfast, Greek yogurt, delicious fruit, croissants, etc. Overall, I would say the Grand Highland Hotel was a great choice for us. It is a place we look forward to visiting again and again.
Beth, Tucson, AZ

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I don't normally write reviews because I own a hospitality business and understand that a poor review hurts a business and that I might lack credibility. (Many restaurateurs have a hard time being objective when evaluating competitive businesses and I've heard of some deliberately exaggerating perceived faults in order to boost their own restaurant by comparison. I won't do that. If I have a constructive suggestion or complaint and I think the owner of a restaurant wants to hear it, I'll share it with him or her directly, but not in print where it can harm their business.) But I promised myself I'd write a glowing review whenever I came across a great restaurant or hotel. Even though I travel and dine out a lot, I don't find many fives, so very few reviews.

What I loved about this hotel was its welcoming attitude and uncompromising drive to provide the perfect experience. The hotel was recently refurbished after sustaining some damage from a fire next door. They tore it down to the bricks and sticks and rebuilt it with modern everything. The furnishings are top quality, including the beds and pillows. The amenities are free, including in-room and reception area coffee and water and welcome beverages, i.e., Perrier and sodas. The service is super attentive. For example, we stayed two nights. The queen size bed we had the first night was a bit small for me, which I told them when the asked me the next morning how I'd slept. A room with a king size bed was available our second night. They moved us to the room with the bigger bed while we were out.

There are only two reasons anyone might not rate this hotel a FIVE:

First, because you didn't ask for what you wanted, because they would have given it to you if you had. The people working there want nothing more than to make your stay perfect and to have you come back. If they know how to make your experience better, they'll do their best to make it so. But if you want to be unhappy and complain in a review rather than ask for whatever it is you want, you may not get it.

Second, because you expected something else. You need to know that this hotel is (i) on very popular Whiskey Row, which means there will be some noise outside on weekend nights and that you're close to all the action, which we found to be a positive; (ii) the hotel has limited services, so you don't have an in-house restaurant or bar or spa or weight room, but all that stuff is available nearby and the staff will help you find it; and (iii) the rooms are small. We could call them quaint, but their limited size is a natural constraint of this historical building, which, back when Prescott was the capital of the Territory hosted a saloon downstairs and rooms upstairs where a man might hire the company of a woman of ill repute. These halls were walked by the likes of Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp. Some people might prefer a place with bigger rooms and a pool, but I'll take this charming hotel with soul and people who really care about my experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed one Saturday night in the Mt. Vernon room along with another couple that occupied the Grand Highland suite. This review is not meant to steer anyone away from staying at this hotel. It is a cautionary tale regarding our night in the Mt. Vernon room due to factors outside the control of the hotel. First the positives. This 12 room boutique hotel has been lovingly restored with attention to detail and charm. The location is perfect for walking downtown Prescott and right across from Courthouse square. Check in included a free happy hour with assortment of beers, wine & cookies. Free parking is available in the parking garage behind hotel. Continental breakfast was above average. Beds are wonderful.Rooms are totally cool & cute. At check in- Rey let me know there was staff at hotel 24/7 so we could call if we needed anything.He also shared their future vision for hotel. The pride of ownership this family has in the property is obvious. I had selected the Mt. Vernon room at booking based simply on the king size bed and pictures of the room. At check in he walked us back to the room which happens to be next to the alley & parking garage behind hotel. I actually thought the room would be peaceful as it was away from Montezuma street. Now for things to consider regarding the rooms next to alley. At approx 1pm the bars let out. The parking garage acts as a Mr. Microphone for the drunks. The bar patrons stand in alley behind hotel and every word of their drunk conversations can be heard through the historic bricks of the hotel. Then they eventually migrate to the parking garage ,honk car horns and act like hip young drunk folks. Enough about the drunks. Moving on to the bar employees taking out the trash - just doing their job. The hotel is surrounded by bars- hence the nickname "Wiskey Row". After bar closing the bar clean up crew wheels their carts down the alley, open the metal trash bins with a thunk, empty the glass bottels into trash cans and roll carts back for more. Over and over again. To the hotels credit- there is a sign in room letting you know to call front desk if you need ear plugs. Being an optomist (and not coherent at 2pm) I figured every drunk group would be the last and did not call for ear plugs. Honestly- I also did not want to get out of the wonderful cozy bed. This review is not meant to discourage someone from staying at the hotel.This property deserves accolades and kudos for the restorations. As a TA poster and fan I want to warn fellow TA members to carefully consider your choice of rooms and ability to sleep through noise such as shattering glass bottels, drunks and car horns. The alley noise does not seem to travel to the front of hotel. A staff member at breakfast kindly asked how we slept last night. My reply was terrible. I suggested to her that an option was to just leave ear plugs in the rooms next to back alley. Don't make travelers call the front desk for these in the middle of the night. I felt the cost of the Mt. Vernon room ( $169 weekend) was of poor value alloting for the alley noise from 1-3pm. The noise from house band behind hotel was fine to sleep too. Regrettably- there is nothing romantic about glass bottels being emptied into metal trash cans and drunks being drunks once the house band stops. That being said- Prescott remains everybodies hometown.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand H, Owner at Grand Highland Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to do all we can to make your stay with us enjoyable, comfortable and restful. Please except our apology for not being able to meet your expectations.

We heard you! We now have earplugs available in the rooms on the night stands so you won't have to leave our cozy, comfortable beds!

We do have very quiet rooms located in the middle of the hotel, especially the middle rooms on the south side.

We hope you will choose to come stay with us again. Please call us and we will be glad to help you select a room that will better suit your sleeping needs.

Again, please accept our apology.

The Grand Highland Hotel Owner/Management Team
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Originally my folks were going to stay here, but at the last minute I was invited along on their Arizona vacation. That being said the hotel accommodated the third person with a rollaway bed. I must say that it was the best I've ever slept on! Decent mattress, sheets and blanket. The room we stayed in (The Trails) was lovely. Large bathroom with claw foot tub, bath amenities, etc. The room itself was cozy and warm with welcoming tootsie roll pops. We arrived at happy hour and provided were several selections of wine, beer and lemonade for the non drinker plus a plate of cookies. The breakfast was equally impressive with mini pastries, fruit cups, juice and coffee. A quaint, centrally located hotel in the heart of downtown Prescott with friendly, helpful staff to boot.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We spent two nights in the Rough Riders room for a weekend getaway from Phoenix. The location on historic Whiskey Row was perfect for us and easy to find. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we were offered complimentary beer, wine and cookies on arrival. The cozy room was adorable with a comfortable bed and a soaking tub I enjoyed both nights! The included breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, greek yogurt and an assortment of pastries with juice and coffee. There is no real dining space so we ended up eating in our room. Parking was in a structure a short distance behind the hotel and was free.

The location is a possible downside for some as we had fairly loud music from an adjacent bar until closing time. If you stay here on a Friday or Saturday night I would bet on experiencing the same. This did not bother us much but would be a factor if you are hoping to turn in early. As mentioned by other reviewers, if you have trouble with stairs, I would avoid this hotel. Our view was of a rooftop, and I think only the front two rooms have a great view to be honest.

I would recommend this hotel for those wanting to indulge in the Whiskey Row experience and who enjoy the unique boutique hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We loved this hotel! It is right in the heart of the historic district and is a beautiful little place with charming decor. The bathroom had everything you need complete with claw foot tub and great water pressure. The rooms are small, but are very cozy and efficient. We found it very homelike.
The staff is terrific - so friendly! They bake fresh cookies in the afternoon that they put out with beverages. One of the best hotels we have every stayed at. We enjoyed the historic area as well!

One note: There are many stairs going up to the hotel - so if that is a problem maybe not the right choice for you. They may have an elevator that I'm unaware of - I would call first to double check!

Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a family run hotel which has been hosting guests for >100 years. A year back the neighboring building burned, leaving the hotel smoke damaged. A twist of fate breathed new life into this place. Rooms are small, but nicely appointed. It's a second floor hotel, so you have to carry your belongings up some stairs. But the location is great, with lots of good restaurants and shops within close walking distance. The downtown is cute and interesting. Arrive before dinner, and you're likely to be treated to a happy hour complimentary drink. Grandma owns the place and some of the kids work there too. This is a treat from the chain hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Highland Hotel? Share your experiences!